Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone check their ketones? I am thinking about starting to do this. I am a carb junky and I need to get my protien in... I think this might be a good way to flip the switch and start eatting the way the band was meant for ME. I am open to any opinions. Also I would like to hear from anyone who is doing this.

Mandyjo,

My Dr. put me on a low-carb pre-op diet for 2 weeks and I am on day 7 right now. I did check and I am in moderate to deep ketosis. Not for nothing, but I have lost 20 pounds in 7 days. I know it is mostly Water but I can tell you from past experience that being in ketosis really makes your body burn fat. Last year I went on the Atkin's diet and lost 120 pounds in 5 months. I gained it all back as soon as I went off the diet but that was because I ate everything I could put my hands on, and I am not exagerating. I counted one day and I ate over 6000 calories in one day and it was only 4:00 P.M. when I counted. :embarassed:

The carb cravings are almost unbearable when you go out of ketosis and most people find it hard to go back into ketosis once they are out. I am a carb addict, so it is just like giving an alcoholic a bottle of booze after they have been sober for 5 months. It is disaster in the making.

If you can maintain a ketogenic state, it may be helpful for you. Just be prepared to deal with the worst cravings when you eat too many carbs abd come out of ketosis.

One of the major reasons I want to at least try this is because I am losing but I think I am losing too much muscle mass. So I am hoping this this will keep me in check with the Proteins.< /p>

I used to check everytime I went to the bathroom. But now, like Tracy, I can tell just by my breath and I get this splurge of energy too.

I am not in ketosis right now, but I sure would like to be. lol :(

FYI, Alcoholics should never go on a Ketogenic diet, and there are other negative effects that I was happy to learn about. The way I avoid it (I am a recovery Addict and I also don't like the side effects) is I incorporate a Complex Carbohydrate (Fruit/Vegetable) mini-meal twice during the day.

To learn more about Ketosis, here is a link that might be helpful:

Ketones, Ketosis, and Ketogenic Diets, Weight Control, Weight Loss, Strategies for Weight Loss, Dieting, Holisticonline.com

Love to All!

Lisa

I must be in ketosis because my breath is horrendous. But since I know very little about all this, how the heck would you measure it? Is there some kind of lab kit, gadget or equipment that is needed? I'm still on liquids, and I got the low carb variety of shakes, so I'm losing pretty fast as well. 11 pounds in 15 days. My sugeon took me off my dieuretic pills so I know it's not Water weight.

I must be in ketosis because my breath is horrendous. But since I know very little about all this, how the heck would you measure it? Is there some kind of lab kit, gadget or equipment that is needed? I'm still on liquids, and I got the low carb variety of shakes, so I'm losing pretty fast as well. 11 pounds in 15 days. My sugeon took me off my dieuretic pills so I know it's not Water weight.

You can buy Ketone Strips at the drug store. I bought mine at Walgreens back at the pharmacy dept. I believe they are just called Ketone strips. Then when you go to the bathroom you basically pee on them and they change colors, dark red is ketosis. The bottle has the colors on them and you can where you are at.

Aubrie, your body enters a state of benign dietary ketosis once you have burned all of your available carbohydrate stores. Your body burns carbohydrates for fuel to keep your brain and organs working properly and to give you energy and basically keep you going. When you greatly limit your carb intake, your body has to find another source of energy, so it turns to it's second choice, which is your own body fat. When your body begins to burn it's own fat for energy, ketones are produced. Generally, if you are consuming less than 30 grams of carbs a day, you are most likely in ketosis. One of the best things about ketosis is that is greatly reduces your appetite, which is why many Atkin's dieters will tell you that they are rarely hungry. It is the strongest "natural" appetite suppressant.

Basically, when you are in ketosis, your body is self-canabalising to keep you alive. You are literally living off of your own fat stores. So, when your body is producing ketones because of greatly reduced carbohydrate intake, it is proof positive that you are indeed burning fat.

Last year I lost a large amount of weight on the Atkin's Diet and I remember that my fat felt really soft and spongy. Almost like a wet sponge. That is because your body is depleting the fat from the inside out.

You can purchase strips at your local pharmacy. Make sure you are drinking as much Water as you can because ketones accumulate in your kidneys and can cause issues if they are not flushed out.

Hope this helps.

I test for it but it isn't my goal. If I am not in ketosis I don't care. I only started checking it because the only carbs I eat are good carbs such as veggies. I cut out all white carbs a long time ago. Because of that, I am usually in ketosis.

Yeah, I keep complex carbs on board, too - but not the nasty simple, refined carbs. Luckily I am not a sweets fan, and of course can't eat bread anymore. An occasional potato doesn't suck, but I can have like 3 bites.

Could ketosis give your tongue a coating? I have had a nasty coated tongue since banding that isn't thrush.

ok i'm officially confused. isn't ketosis a bad thing? in veterinary medicine it's like a life threatening emergency. i have to monitor my diabetic dog's urine for ketones like every few days. it can cause seizures along with other nasty things.

Thanks for all the great information! I will check at Walgreens this week for the test strips. I think this is fascinating. I can see where it could be dangerous for long periods of time, or if you were not monitoring the effects.

Karen. I too have a coated tongue. It comes and goes though. Really weird.