Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apnea - What are the risks during surgery?

I had a sleep study done a little over a week ago and I was told I have moderate sleep apnea, my "level?" is a 20 and my oxygen saturation dropped to 83% during the REM cycle. They are telling me I need a CPAP machine and I need it for recovery.

The problem is that during the sleep study, the technician came in to put me on the CPAP machine because she said I was having moderate apnea during the dreaming stage of my sleep. I tried several times to use it bbut everytime I opened my mouth I felt like I was choking because the air was blowing up my nose. After several attempts, I just told her to take the mask off because I hated feeling like I was suffocating.

My question is......how important is it to have the CPAP machine on during recovery? Doesn't the hospital staff monitor your breathing to make sure you don't have issues during and after surgery? What about the anesthesia? Do I have to wear it during the surgery itsself? I would appreciate any help or advice from anyone with sleep apnea or anyone who has any experience.

I too found out I had sleep apnea. I had to bring the machine with me. The most important thing is make sure the Anethesiologist knows about it.

He will more than likely come and talk to you before the surgery, and he will probably ask you if you have sleep apnea. He will monitor it during surgery.

Now, back to the cpap machine. I hated mine too, I talked to my sleep study doc about it and they gave me a perscription of Ambien CR to take until I could get use to the machine. It took about 2 weeks but now I can tell a difference if I don't sleep with it.

I've had mine now for about a year, I think it helps you lose weight, you wake up feeling so much more refreshed. When I started the machine, I had my machine on a pressure of 15, now that I've lost weight, I'm down to an 8. The doc thinks another 15 or 20 lbs and I will be completely off of it. I'm not sure if I really want to give it up though, it really makes me feel so much better in the mornings.

I hope you will talk to your doc about the problems you are having with the machine and mask, they have several types of mask you can try.

Oh, I didn't answer some of your questions - I had to wear mine during recovery, not during the surgery.

I also had to spend the night in the hospital because of some other issues, so I slept with it that night too.

I had a sleep study done a little over a week ago and I was told I have moderate sleep apnea, my "level?" is a 20 and my oxygen saturation dropped to 83% during the REM cycle. They are telling me I need a CPAP machine and I need it for recovery.

The problem is that during the sleep study, the technician came in to put me on the CPAP machine because she said I was having moderate apnea during the dreaming stage of my sleep. I tried several times to use it bbut everytime I opened my mouth I felt like I was choking because the air was blowing up my nose. After several attempts, I just told her to take the mask off because I hated feeling like I was suffocating.

My question is......how important is it to have the CPAP machine on during recovery? Doesn't the hospital staff monitor your breathing to make sure you don't have issues during and after surgery? What about the anesthesia? Do I have to wear it during the surgery itsself? I would appreciate any help or advice from anyone with sleep apnea or anyone who has any experience.

Be sure to tell the anesthesiologist that you have sleep apnea. This is very important. You should use a cpap machine all the time. It takes time to get used to it. You can try using different masks until you find one you like. Just don't give up. It took me quite a while to get used to my cpap. Now I love it. My friend's son had sleep apnea and died in his sleep because he wasn't using his cpap. The good news is once you lose your weight, the sleep apnea may disappear.

Saturday I had my second sleep study and was on cpap machine. The first study confirmed I has sleep apnea and the second study was to see what pressures I need on the cpap.

My surgeon said if I was not being treated for sleep apnea there was a chance the anesthesiologist would call the banding off. Also there is a concern during recovery and when they send ya home and you are on pain killers.

I have used a CPAP machine for about four years. I had to take it to the hospital when I had my operation, and stayed in for an extra night because I have SA. I also went to a 'step down' facility at the hospital straight after my operation so that I could be closely monitored.

All has been very well. I used my CPAP machine when in hospital when my O2 levels were satisfactory. I love my machine, which has given me a whole lease of life. I went on local TV to talk about CPAP - you can view it here at http://www.milward.org.uk/video/tv.mpg

Should have said - the video above is about 130 meg so it may take a little while to download.