Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Post-Op Thread

I've read on a lot of other threads that we can expect weight gain immediately after surgery mainly because of the IV fluids. It should all flush away in a few days.

Carol, let me add my well wishes to all the other Merry Losers. I'm so sorry that things didn't go as planned and I really hope that you stay on-line with us all:)

Good luck to all those with surgery dates tomorrow!

Newblew

I am feeling fine .. . just had a 3 hour nap . . .which is more than I slept in the hospital total I think . . . and just took a shower . . .that felt good. I forgot to tell you guys - I'm not stitched . . .I'm not stapled . . . I'm GLUED ;) Unbelievable what they can do now! My daughter just came home with the Pirates movie . . . so we get to watch that tonight to Celebrate. I'm almost tempted to drink a cup of warm Water (yuck) .. . anything warm just sounds good right now lol.

Chris

Hi all,

I feel like a bit of a wimp, just haven't had the energy to go on line. My op went really well on Monday. Got to the hospital just before 10:00am for a 1:00pm op. didn't get taken down to surgery until 5:00pm, but that time I was so thirsty I had developed a headache. My Dr came in to say they would be starting soon and then came all the rest asking what op I was having. Got given the anaesthetic and thought this isn't working. Next thing I know is I was in ICU (my Dr's usual practice) being told to wake up - not happy!!. eventually woke up, prodded and poked some more and then left to sleep in an arm chair with my feet up - hate sleeping sitting up. Next morning was given a barium swallow to make sure band was in the right position. Horrible stuff - need to spend the rest of the day near the bathroom has it passes straight through you with explosive effects - if you get what I mean.

Right now feel like I can hardly keep my eyes open - feel like such a wimp after reading some of the stuff others have done. Will have to do better tomorrow.

Danna:notagree

Oh Danna . . . don't feel whimpy at all . . . and a barium swallow .. . that would have KILLED me (I'm very lactose intolerant to begin with .. .and then the just passing through .. ugh!) .. . but you will be doing better today and then the next and the next. I'm sore this morning across the top of my stomach . . . like someone hit me really hard. I'm not in any pain . . . just a different sorness. I think I read somewhere on here that about the second day out or so that is usual. Welcome to this side!!!!

Chris

Carol, I am so sorry - but soon you will have some answers. Plus, I believe everything happens for a reason. If the same thing happened to me, I would be telling myself that maybe the timing for me getting the band was off, or for some other reason, it was not supposed to happen now....hang in there!

I arrived at the hospital yesterday at 6:30 am for 8 am surgery. I didn't go in until 11! But I woke up in recovery at 1:00. That is so right about anesthesiologists - they seem to love giving you that first IV push into oblivion. Mine was humming "Margaritaville." When I woke up in recovery, I knew where I was and realized I wasn't hurting at all, except for a little pressure. Then I had to get up and go to the xray department for a drink of barium and a picture to see if the liquid was able to get through. After having nothing to eat or drink for a day, I can say the barium actually tasted good!! My only complaint was an extreme dizziness and weakness. That didn't go away until about 2:30 pm when I left to come home. I was still alert enough to "back-seat drive" for my husband, though.:rolleyes I have been taking the liquid Vicodin on schedule, but today I am pretty sore and swollen and feel like I should put on a tight t-shirt to brace the incisions. Gas is a problem, but I take the Gas-X strips every four hours, too. I'm not the type of person to pass gas in front of my husband, but I think he is getting a kick out of it! :straight When I start experiencing problems, I think back on all the posts I read before - the main one was trying to get up and down in bed, and trying to sleep on my side. I am thankful for all the good info I have read on this website....and hope all goes well for the Merry Losers!:bandit

Welcome to the FlipSide TXBandit! Glad you are home . . . we have a wonderful club that is growing each day. I agree with you that the information on this site has been a Godsend . . . knowing what to expect, what to look for, what to ask has made it all so much easier. I hope we all keep in contact as we journey along.

PS . . . You're from Austin - if you ever need a plastic surgeon, one of my best friend's other half is one in Austin!

Chris

Hey Everyone, I've been BANDED. My surgery was yesterday. I was supposed to be at the hospital at 5:30 and the surgery was from 7:30 to 9:05. At 10:40 they were wheeling me out and at 11:41 I was pulling up into my driveway.

My first feelings when I woke up from the surgery was being bloated and thirsty. I really am not having that much pain. No sharp or shooting pains. I feel some in my left shoulder from the gas and bloating from the gas. It has eased up some this morning and I feel heavy. But, no pain. I'm slept most of yesterday. I would get up every hour to go to the bathroom and drink another ounce of Water. Didn't feel hungry. Didn't want the liquid pain med, feel like it would make me nauseous. I had a little chicken broth this morning but mostly have wanted Water. And, I feel more soreness from laying in the bed than from the surgery.

Hope it all continues to go so well!

Ann

Well....all is well in the frozen north. I guess everything went smoothly. As smoothly as it could after the day I had yesterday.

Went to the surgery center at 6. I was the first surgery scheduled. All was fine until I asked my DH if I was sure and started to tear up. Luckily my surgical nurse walked in just then and asked if I needed something to calm my nerves. Oh the joy of meeting a legal pusher :eek:)

The only thing that made me a little uncomfortable was not seeing anyone that I knew. The surgeon must have come in after they put me out because DH got to talk to him but I didn't.

Other than some port site pain and soar shoulder I'm doing alright. My nurse thought I didn't need any gas-x and I thought that was strange. She said she had put some prevacid in my IV so I wouldn't need anything.

I did take some gas-x strips an our or so ago and my pain lifted a bit. Went walking through kmart for a bit. It was nice to get out of this closet they call a motel room. Hopefully I didn't over do it though.

All in all, I just want to get back to being able to drink enough Water to quench my thirst again.

Hope everyone else had a good day.

Steph

Hi Everyone-

I am finally home from my trip to Dr. Ortiz in TJ. I could not have been more pleased with my entire experience. I checked in to the hotel there on Monday night, was brought to the hospital for pre-ops at 10 AM on Tuesday Dec 3rd and got my band some time in the mid-afternoon. I stayed overnight and left the next morning. Spent the next 36 hours in the comfort of my hotel room then flew back home today.

I have a lot of gas from the surgery and it is slowly coming out both ways. I take some chewed up tums to keep some of it under control because the heartburn feeling is the worst. I have been drinking Clear liquids and can start heavier liquids tomorrow (Protein shakes, Soups, etc.)!!

I almost died when I got home and got on the scale. I am up a couple of pounds but it has got to be the bloating from all the IV liquids, my constant Water consumption and general swelling.

I took my last pain pill about 3 hours ago. I will move on to Tylenol now. My port area is sore but otherwise I just feel a little stiff. I slept so much over the past 3 days! Constant pain meds that knock me out I guess.

I am so nervous about getting fills and starting the journey to my restriction sweet spot!!! I have 5 incisions. I can't bear to look at them all swollen and glued. They look like knive wounds from an episode of CSI.

I can't wait to eat my first solids on Christmas Day!!!

Thanks for listening and supporting all of us Merry Losers.

Best Wishes,

Hi Carol-

So sorry to hear about what happened to you. There have to be other solutions out there for you and we will be here for you as you continue your weight loss journey!

Will keep you in my thoughts,

InTheCityGirl

So my surgery went normal.... only couple bad experience like not on pain meds while the nurse took me upstairs and running into couple stuff... ouch@#$@# not able to drink anything till next day after upper gi test.... hate those lemon sticks

trying to check out took me over 2hours and pharmasy was closed so no pain meds for me till next day.

Other then that the experience has been ok and cant wait to start getting my fills and loosing a good amount of weight.

Got 6 cans of Unjury =P