Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you trust your scales?

I've got scales that are digital, super-duper display etc. Strange how I trust them more when they say I've lost more than expected. That's great.

I don't trust them as much when I haven't lost much - always re-weighing myself, breathing in, willing them to give a different reading.

Ring any bells?

No I dont trust my scales and that is plural. I use two different scales just to make sure the first one is right and right now both are making me mad. On scale has me less than what I know Im at. Generally that would be good, but it is causing me to be more careless with my choices than what I would be if it was correct or at least weighing me more than I am. The other scale is less than the scale at the gym but probably close to the one at the Drs office. So that make 4 different scales and I dont know what one to believe. My poor boyfriend has even become a part of my obsession with the scales because I make him weigh himself to see if they weigh him correct.

My husband calls this, "Romancing the Scale". You know, the dancing/waltzing/shifting about, in hopes of a better answer. :)

Years ago, I broke down and bought a doctor's scale. It's acurate to within a quarter-pound (oh how I've tested it).

That being said, I am one of those people who can gain a pound from one cup of coffee, and lose a pound just from showering (must be a LOT of dirt).

Yep- I definitely have a problem with the scale. The last two days I had to weigh myself twice in a row. I know it is sooooo irrational and crazy but when I saw the low number for the second time today I thought, "is someone somehow messing with this scale to make it keep going down!"

:laugh And then my second thought was, "is this battery slowly going dead so everyday it is saying a lower number?" I am not kidding- those two thoughts really went through my head! Ha!

I don't own a scale. I am only going to use the big digital scale at the docs office. I only plan on weighing once a week. I guess that will be Wednesday's... That is the day of the week I had my surgery and there are no wed. holidays so the office will not be closed. This wed. will be my first week post op dr. visit anyway so I will get to weigh in then.

If I show a loss, I trust the numbers. If I show no loss, or, goodness forbid, a gain, then I re-weigh myself 5 times and swear there must be something wrong with the stupid thing.

i use a sliding type scale like they used to use in dr's offices before digital became popular. i always weigh first thing when i get up, with no clothes on. got to be consistent to trust the numbers.

I spend $170 on a balance beam scale. Am I OCD? Maybe. :P I had to know for sure so I bought the best of the best. At first I wasn't sure, I realized I would buy a scale every couple of years or so. I did a bit of research and discovered digital scales are the first to go bad and most likely to go bad.

I finally went for it and purchased a balance beam. It is expensive ($170) but it will last me the rest of my days. More expensive today, big and bulky... BUT!!! Accurate. :)

I also have 2 scales - one digital and the other is a good needle read type. My old trusty is 4 lbs less then the digital but the digital is right on with the dr's scale. When I mentioned it to the PA she told me to go by my own scale. I like the digital bc it gives the tenths of the pound but still I go by old faithful.

LOL! We all experience the same tragic tales of our fights with the scale. I had to weigh in this morning at the doctors office, (Visit 3 done, 3 more to go) and my scale at home was close, that is after I added 6 pounds to what my scale says. Anytime I weigh myself at home I must add 6 pounds, crazy isn't it? I was worried that my scale was lying to me again! I think we should throw the damn things out!

Hey I totally agree I can weight myself 5 times and get 5 different numbers if you press harder on the right side you get lower number.

I just experienced low battery in my scale and everyday I was heavier by 2-3 pounds!!!!! But the problem is, now I changed the batteries I dont know if the scales show the right weight...Im going to find out tomorrow when I see my doctor

I also spent close to $200 on a balance beam scale and I love it! It is super consistent and it tells me even when I lose 0.2 pounds. $200 was worth my sanity, the other scales I bought would tell me different weights every time I got on and off them.