Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start working out post op?

I starting working out 2-3 weeks after surgery, just doing light cardio. I didn't work out much before surgery, so I started slow. Someone here recommended Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos on YouTube. I started with 15-minute videos and now I'm doing 20-minute videos. I'll probably try some 30-minute videos next week.

I was told I could start walking right away. I was cleared for everything except for weights after four weeks. At eight weeks out, I was cleared for weights.

I was walking (albeit short walks) on day 1. Cleared for all exercise at 1 month (though I didn’t really start any serious regular exercise until month 3, not because I was unable to, just turned out that way 🙂)

I started walking on day one. Didn't go super far, but I paced CONSTANTLY. Went on an actual outside walk day 7, once I was sure I wouldn't fall over. Still took it easy. I was cleared for full exercise a month in (week 4), when my surgeon was sure my stitches were healed. I started light and did dancing and light (like 3lb weights) weight lifting. I'm up into heavy cardio now, 8 months out. :)

I had no intention to exercise. Exercise was boring and very painful.

After about 2 months and 60+ pounds I felt lighter and wanted to try moving around more. I started walking about more. Went down on the strip, malls, museums, aquariums. Just around and people watching. Eventually we were walking about 8 miles several times a week. But exercise? No way.

After about 10 months and 200+ pounds, I just felt like I had and abundance of energy. Almost floating, it seemed. I thought I'd see if I could run. I bought "Idiots guide to running" which had a program to run 30 minutes in 30 days, and managed to complete it. I listened to audio books to pass the time. But exercise? No way.

Month 13 and 250+ pounds down, I was still running. Listening to the Dark Tower (7 books), so runs got longer until I was running 90 miles per week. Over the next year I ran 5 marathons.

I never did exercise. Exercise is boring and an obligation. I didn't have surgery to live on a diet and do things I never wanted or enjoyed doing.

Walking, then running, was a joy.

Do you.

1 hour ago, The Greater Fool said:

Same! I was a certified couch potato before, now im one of those people who needs to run to feel like the day is complete. And it all started with walking laps around my kitchen island...now I do at least 5km every day. (NOT around the kitchen island, lol)

Edited by ms.sss

3 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Same! I was a certified couch potato before, now im one of those people who needs to run to feel like the day is complete. And it all started with walking laps around my kitchen island...now I do at least 5km every day. (NOT around the kitchen island, lol)

Congratulations.

2 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

I had no intention to exercise. Exercise was boring and very painful.

After about 2 months and 60+ pounds I felt lighter and wanted to try moving around more. I started walking about more. Went down on the strip, malls, museums, aquariums. Just around and people watching. Eventually we were walking about 8 miles several times a week. But exercise? No way.

After about 10 months and 200+ pounds, I just felt like I had and abundance of energy. Almost floating, it seemed. I thought I'd see if I could run. I bought "Idiots guide to running" which had a program to run 30 minutes in 30 days, and managed to complete it. I listened to audio books to pass the time. But exercise? No way.

Month 13 and 250+ pounds down, I was still running. Listening to the Dark Tower (7 books), so runs got longer until I was running 90 miles per week. Over the next year I ran 5 marathons.

I never did exercise. Exercise is boring and an obligation. I didn't have surgery to live on a diet and do things I never wanted or enjoyed doing.

Do you.

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

Well, kudos to you both, but I can't imagine ever enjoying running. I mean, it would be nice! But I just don't see it ever happening. I didn't even like running when I was young and athletic. I really wanted to like it -- I even joined the track team in junior high because my best friend wanted to -- but I always hated it.