Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Students who underwent ByPass Surgery : How many days/weeks did you take off of College ?

Hi everyone ! I am a newbie here and English is not my first language so please, bear with me 😛

I am a 24-year-old college student and I'm getting a ByPass on Sept 11th but my classes start on the 14th. I am fully aware I won't be able to go back to college literally 3 days after surgery, obviously ... but I was hoping that I could go back on the 21st.

What are your thoughts/opinion ? :)

Edited by Dramatic-Banana

I think that's a reasonable plan. I had surgery on July 16 and went back to work July 27. I could have gone back July 20 if I really had to, but it wouldn't have been a great idea just because it takes a lot of effort to get enough fluids and Protein that first week, so it's best to take it easy and focus on that.

Now, I have a desk job, so it may be a little different for you as a student. For example, how far do you have to go to get between classes? You might not be up to brisk walks across campus. And do you have decent seating in your classes, or do you have those horrible one-piece desk-chairs that are difficult for some of us to squeeze into? You're not going to want to squeeze yourself into anything right after surgery while your incisions are still healing.

Also keep in mind that everybody's recovery is different. Some people don't even spend a full day in the hospital while others have to stay several days. It's unlikely, but possible, that you could have complications that put you out of commission for weeks. Or you could have a difficult recovery and not feel well enough to go to class that soon. More than likely, you'll be fine by the 21st, but think about what you'll do if you're not.

I had a sleeve, but as others noted - everyone's recovery is different. When I asked my surgeon, he said he had one guy have the bypass and return to work the next day!!! Other people need longer. If you're in college and relatively fit from a pre-op diet, I would think 3 days would be reasonable, assuming there are no post op issues and you're willing to grit your teeth and take it slowly.

I was one of the people that needed longer to heal after bypass surgery. I was
absolutely miserable and the pain on my left side where I was cut shill hurts today. When I asked the doctor about it he said the famous line that everyone heals differently. Best of luck to you.

Posted (edited)

On 8/19/2020 at 11:37 PM, Dramatic-Banana said:

Hi everyone ! I am a newbie here and English is not my first language so please, bear with me 😛

I am a 24-year-old college student and I'm getting a ByPass on Sept 11th but my classes start on the 14th. I am fully aware I won't be able to go back to college literally 3 days after surgery, obviously ... but I was hoping that I could go back on the 21st.

What are your thoughts/opinion ? :)
Typically, after bypass surgery, patients spend some time in the hospital for initial recovery and then continue their rehabilitation at home. I have encountered this and I do not advise anyone to encounter such a problem. I also missed a lot of time. I even had to look for a case study in apa format, I used https://papersowl.com/blog/case-study-in-apa-format for this. We had to catch up with everything over time. But this did not become a problem, literally after 3 weeks I was already on the same level as my classmates in college.

9 days, as far as I remember. Definitely no more.

Edited by tomhanks22