Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeking Information & Support - Need a Doctor in OC, Cali

Hi There - I am 34 years old and tipped the scale this week at 240. I weigh more than my husband and that is final straw. I live in Mission Viejo, CA and I am wondering if Lap Band is the solution for me. Behavior Modification has obviously failed and after years of dieting, we need to take it up a notch. I have enjoyed reading through this site so far and really look forward to connecting to people struggling with food addiction. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on the following:

- My purpose of losing the weight is to get pregnant (1st time), has anyone been pregnant while banded?

- I am seeking a Doctor in Orange County and I just don't want to pick who Allergan recommends.

- It sounds like the "pre" surgery work is intense, how long is the process from the first consult to surgery?

Thank you for time and support - this is very scary and exciting at the same time... KC23

Hi Kristy! You and I are almost the same age and live in the same area, ( I'm 33 & reside in San Clemente ) I have been on this journey for almost 2 years once going back and fourth with gastric bypass or the Lap- Band. All I can say from my journey so far, is that nobody really has the answers for you. You have to go out and find them and take your time to do your homework. I have spent countless hours on the internet researching and comparing surgery's including doctor's etc. It is my experience that I had to go out and find answers myself.

Take your time. Time is the best medicine! I am sceduled for surgery on January 7th 2008 with Dr.Peter Leport's group in Orange County, Ca called smart dimensions. I suggest also that you attend one of there support groups and gain some more insight since this is such a personal decision. Look him up and my best wishes go out to you! Good-Luck.

My surgery date is January 8th with Dr. Kelly Francis with Dr. Laports office. My journey has only been 8 months, but it has all been worth it.

As for getting pregnant, there are several threads on this website for those who are and have been while banded.

I would suggest that you go to your Dr. and start you 6 month Dr. Supervised diet, most insurances will not even consider paying for the surgery unless you do this and if you do it while you are researching it the time will go by faster.

I live within minutes of Misson Viejo in Lake Forest (Irvine). My doctor is Dr. Nguyen at UCI Medical, which is in city of Orange. His team is very good and helpful. They also have seminars that you can attend but they also can get you started on other testing while you wait.

Good Luck

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the feedback, I made one call today to start "the process"... Let the fun begin! Have a wonderful weekend!

Hi Kristy,

I also live in the OC--Yorba Linda. I am going to use Dr. Eric Pham at St. Joseph's Hospital in Orange, near CHOC hospital. There are 3 doctors and they have an excellent program. I am going to be banded early next year (hopefully). Good luck and let me know if you need any other info. Their phone number is 714-541-4343:D

I live in los angeles but I've heard good things about Dr.Oliak check out his website he also does small seminars in his office held by him. I'm still waiting for approval to have him do my surgery.:biggrin1:

Just came from my doctors and he told me that I would be getting the new and improve Lap-band. He just came back from medical conf. in Atlanta and the new band was better and reduce the time to heal. He started using the new band 1 week ago today. He had check on his patients and they were all doing good. So now I am really ready!!!