Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What habits did you replace eating with?

believe it or not I exercise all the time. Just today I worked out for 4.5 hours. I am exhausted though but it feels good. I never thought I would ever be addicted to exercise but I am.

okay so this will sound odd, but I am trying out crochet. I asked one of the ladies at work to teach me how to do it. Sounds odd for a guy to do it, but it keeps both hands busy while you are watching tv. That means I can't put something in my mouth if both hands are busy.

I think that's great. I used to do all kinds of handiwork when I was younger and the key to good stuff is clean hands - so you can't be eating chips and crocheting or doing needlepoint or else you'll get all the oil from the food onto your work. By the way, my old gym teacher (a man) used to do needlepoint. I've been thinking of taking something like that up again.

I've been on this computer ALL the time!!! And I got the bodybugg today, so I plan on checking that out all the livelong day.

okay so this will sound odd, but I am trying out crochet. I asked one of the ladies at work to teach me how to do it. Sounds odd for a guy to do it, but it keeps both hands busy while you are watching tv. That means I can't put something in my mouth if both hands are busy.

Ooo, that's a super idea. My grandma used to crochet and she taught me a little bit about 18 years ago - don't remember any of it. She passed away a few years ago, getting into crocheting would be a great activity for me - remind me of her AND keep my hands busy while I'm watching TV!!! THANK YOU! I hadn't even thought of this one.

As for hobbies I'm picking up...I bought a page-a-day calendar at the grocery store that teaches origami. I haven't had to break it out, yet, but thought that would be great for me to focus on when I feel like binging. I also got a guitar that DH is giving me for Christmas that I plan to pick up.

Now with the crocheting thing in mind, my grandma also used to knit, but I never learned that. I'd LOVE to. I think there's even a shop here where I work that teaches it. Oh, I have a project, now. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Oh...and when I'm stuck at work all night long by myself - which used to be prime binging time for me - I drink Water. It's not always plain Water - I use SF Koolaid or SF Hawaiian Punch powder. But it gives me that hand-to-mouth feeling and is actually good for me. I have no idea why this works for me now - it never did before the band.

My usual distraction is quilting. Occasionally crochet, but quilting is my favorite. I took up quilting a couple of years ago, and although it's not a cheap hobby, it's been a lifesaver the last 8 weeks since being banded.

I'm trying to develop an exercise habit too, but that one's a bit harder!!

I wish I could get on the exercise band wagon, but haven't. One of my biggest substitutions for eating is this website. This has been great. I don't know how well I would be doing if it wasn't for this. Thanks everyone!

I've always been a list maker. Now I make one for cleaning little things, like organizing colsets, drawers and cabinets in the house. If I have a few minutes of bordom it's something small and productive.

I work full time and am in school full time so there is nearly always something to do.

Also I scrapbook. I've been straightening up my SB room so during the break from school I can attempt to get caught up! YIKES.

Crafting and cleaning are two great options. As for exercise that's like sleeping and brushing my teeth. It's something I do automatically now, so I don't count it!

I taught myself to knit a couple of months before my surgery. I had always wanted to learn, but reading how to do it never helped me, I am a visual person.

I am not affiliated with this site, but if you're wanting to learn and you're visual, like me, the videos on this site were a big help. KnittingHelp.com | Learn How to Knit and they're free.

I thought it would be something good to take with me while sitting and waiting in the doctors office. The funny thing is, I almost never have to wait at my surgeons office, I'm taken in within 5 minutes of getting there ..but, it has proven to be an invaluable skill as I have excelled very quickly and have made a good deal of money with the colder seasons upon us and the holidays ..which is great because I NEED money to buy new clothes, I have nothing to wear.

-Libby :peace:

I am not affiliated with this site, but if you're wanting to learn and you're visual, like me, the videos on this site were a big help. KnittingHelp.com | Learn How to Knit and they're free.

That is too funny. I just read about this website last night on another forum I go to...right after I had thought knitting would be a great distraction for me. Was actually coming back here to post it! LOL

Thanks everyone! Looks like I should pick up knitting! :P I remember trying that as a teen - I never could get the hang of it.

I definitely can't afford to start shopping!

I did cross stitch a lot when I was younger and I was really good at it and even used to frame some items. I still have a lot of stuff in the attic (although its probably too old). I think I may get some new patterns and supplies and relearn it.

Cleaning is a good idea too - I always have stuff around the house to clean with a teenager!

Thanks everyone!

Before I became a SAHM I worked in a very high stressed job. Everybody there was crocheting so I picked it up. Believe me it does keep your hands busy and it is suprisingly very relaxing!

I have bought an entire garage of fitness equipment and have spent hours putting it together. I even painted the garage and put in a stereo system but haven't touched any of the equipment. Trust me I would love to get out there and play with my new toys but I am waiting till I get banded in 2 days. Then once recovered I have a workout plan ready to go. One thing that I am going to try is indoor rock climbing because that is something that I would never had tried and I think it would be great for a total body workout

I have a great idea for all you crocheters out there. Our children's hospital accepts crocheted caps for their patients. They've got really cute instructions online. So that's what I'm going to get into next.

Im going to go back to school to get my MBA. I figure that I have plenty of time now to study.

Me Too!!!

I also enjoy painting ceramics. It keeps my hands busy and keeps me occupied for hours. I get so involved that I don't even think about food. I do still struggle at times though. I have found things that I can eat in larger quantities that go right through. I wish they wouldn't. I'm still working on it.

You know, I used to do all this stuff in high school when I was THIN! Ceramics, crocheting, knitting, playing music, all of it. And it did keep my mind and hands occupied for hours on end. I've got to get back into all this stuff - start acting like I did when I used to be thin.