Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone ever feel Anorexic with this band?

I kind of know where you are coming from here, I went through a 'dark time' in my life when everything else was out of control, so the only thing that I felt that I could control was my weight.

I would go 3 or 4 days without eating anything as I thought of food as 'the enemy' - talk about a love/hate relationship.

I think it is important for you to address these issues seperate from the band, I liked the feeling of control that it gave me to starve myself, when I did eat something I would beat myself up about it. In the end I had to resolve what was wrong in the rest of my life to understand how it was influencing my eating.

I would be aware of those feelings and make the choice to eat something healthy, even if it is just a smoothie and some homemade veggie Soup and be happy that you made a healthy food choice, rather than fighting against eating at all.

When I feel those demons rising again I remind myself that I have to be healthy if I want to stay in control, otherwise I will be on the yo-yo again!

Good luck hon.

Nina x

I understand it and I feel it too. Most days, I feel fine. I want to eat my healthy portions and good foods. A few days, I'm still prone to binging. And, yet a few more days, if I'm honest, I "enjoy" the emotional rollercoaster of not eating. I'll drink a couple of lattes, so there's no complete dearth of calories, but I enjoy the empty feeling.

It's just another variation on my food issues, though it's new, of course, since banding.

Tulip, I had a period of Anorexia, and Exercise Bulimia and just plain old compulsive overeating that left me heavy. I use a process called "The Work" to deal with the thinking that was behind alot of it. If you want, I would be glad to send you a kit with how to use this simple, free tool, and a mini-version of the book about it called "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie. No charge - I just love to share it with other bandsters. Just email me your address at private@meetingyourmind.com and I will send it to you with a CD that explains it all too - it's excellent once you hear it in action and you do it with yourself (you can do it with others and that is very helpful too)

Never felt anorexic, but the head issues we all face are tough ones....... at most I've felt a tad bullemic because I'm a stress and speed eater........ sometimes I take a bite of chewy garlic bread and chew it for the texture and taste and then spit it out because I know that it will not go through.....

Yesterday I spent the day in tears because I was soooooo stressed and I COULD NOT EAT......... my dh was like.. (why are you crying?) and I just bawled harder saying..... I CAN'T EAT and I'm STRESSED and so this is OBVIOUSLY MY OUTLET.. so I've got to work on a better outlet and more import different habbits.........

(Off topic)

Damn Tracy! You look good! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the monthly photos, very good idea!

Interesting topic! I havent read all the replies so forgive me if I'm repeating but I think a lot of bandsters SOUND anorexic with the way they talk. They obviously secretly enjoy eating virtually nothing and it really worries me. Its so unhealthy and dysfunctional, the band is not meant to be enforced bulimia or anorexia, its a tool for managing a healthy intake of food and regulating out of control appetites.

It is not evil to enjoy food, to love cooking, eating and sharing food with your family, nor is it detrimental to a healthy diet. It is not necessary to log every bite you eat or live your life on a diet counting calories either - granted many people do like a strict disciplined routine and each to their own - but its not the only way to lose weight.

Many people seem to view their banded lives as punishment for having been bad before. I viewed mine as a way to take care of myself and treat myself with respect. I feed my body healthy, fresh and organic food and I love it! I enjoy everything I eat, I take a lot of care with what I eat for the most part (am prone to eating utter crap at times of stress and getting by on sweet carbs). Its a pleasure to be eating the way I do. I do get a thrill out of being full so quickly, anyone would after a lifetime of being a piggy, but I have always concentrated on healthy eating, not dieting.

What you want is to manage a balanced healthy enjoyable lifestyle, not simply swap one eating disorder for another. Living your life on a super strict diet, well you may have gotten your body healthier but have you really made the mental adjustment? Dieting is for losing weight and many people have to do it to lose, so its not unhealthy or wrong, but its not forever, you do need to be able to move onto more of a lifestyle. To be afraid of food and to have to "control" it in that way is not any improvement on being obese and out of control with your eating if you ask me.

Sorry if that offends but I think people totally miss the point of trying to achieve a life where food doesnt control you.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->

Jacqui,

Well said. I am not in a battle, or at war with my beautiful sweet body anymore. I had to come to that, for me, BEFORE I got my band. I did a lot of work around my dysfunctional thoughts about body and food and self. And there is now NOTHING I hate about my body. It is my dearest and most loyal friend, even at 207#.

I got the band to better serve my body, myself, and others. I have no illusion that thinner will make me happier - tried that many times and it didn't work. I had to find Peace and Happiness and THEN I was ready to get healthy from a place of absolute love. It's very exciting and kind.

Thanks for your post!

First of all, it's a shame that cQQlgirl would make such comments regarding whether or not you're truly a recovering anorexic!!!!! It's unfortuate that many people don't have any education on this subject but choose to question whether or not individuals have really had an eating disorder. Do you think this is a game Tulip is playing? Like she really wants people to think she has or, still has an eating disorder for fun!!!!! cQQlgirl get educated before you make such comments!!! Tulip, I too suffer an eating disorder and have since the 6th grade. I've been in therapy for years, and I'm also in an eating disorder group for anorexics, binge eaters, and bulimics. As you know, they all have the same reasons for beginning. I would recommend trying to find a group in your area that supports eating disorders to help you thru this. I was affraid to tell my group that I was having the surgery for fear of what they would say..............they are supporting me and are ready to be there for me. I totally understand where you're coming from and know that you'll overcome this with help from someone that has knowledge in this matter. Bubblegum