Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trip to the ER

:sick I went for my 4th (blind) fill last Wednesday. I already had 7 cc in my 11 cc band, which lasted me for about 9 months. I hadn't lost any weight in a few months so I thought it was time to get back on track. The doctor said he was going to put in 2 cc, which I thought was kind of extreme, but he's the doctor right? I drank some Water and it gurgled but went down. As I'm driving home, I started feeling like I had swallowed a grapefruit and then I got the hiccups. Then I started feeling really nauseated. Of course by then the office was closed. Pretty soon I figured out that my saliva wasn't going down and started spitting it into a bottle (I'm still driving and getting a little freaked out). I figured I should just get home to my husband and then he can drive me back if need be.

The nausea passed but came back. I called the emergency number and the nurse on call said she would get ahold of the doctor. In the meantime, I vomited up a bunch of foam. Then I felt fine, so I figured as long as I kept spitting into my bottle I would be ok until I saw the doctor. He finally called and had me go into the ER. He was going to take out all 2 cc, but I was really disappointed that I would be back to where I started. So he left in 1/2 cc.

I feel good now and lost 5 pounds the first day! However now I can't eat any solid foods until afternoon - sometimes evening. Could my stomach be swollen after 5 days yet? I'm not complaining, I am losing weight. Just wondering why this is so different from how I've felt before when I was restricted.

Your Esophagus is most likely irritated and swollen which could be why you can not eat solids. Your esophagus went through a major works out on that day. Your stomach could also be swollen. My Dr. has me do 3 days of liquids after a fill for that reason give it a few days ..if it were me Iwould do liquids for a couple more days to be safe. I had esophagitis and trust me it is not fun! OR Alot of bandsters say they can not eat until afternoon or evening. You would be amazed at how much of a difference .5 cc's can make.It doesnt seem like alot but in a band it is ... I just went from 2cc's to 2.5cc's and it was a huge difference in my restriction level and I do not eat until way later in the day also since this last fill 2 weeks ago . In the mornings a cup of hot tea or coffee has been said to open you up a little bit to make it possible to eat. This could be all that it is if you are able to eat with no problems, no PBN or reflux or heartburn.Good Luck :D

i wes banded on jan 17 the size of the banded is 10cm with this size band would it take a lot of foills to feel restriction haven,t gone for a first fill yet pretty sure i am going to need one i see the dr next week just curious thanks julie

I had a .7cc fill on Jan 26 which brings my total to 2.2cc in a 4cc band. I felt restriction almost immediately and did the required liquids. Then today I was eating my mushy scrambled eggs and noticed that my restriction is extremely HIGH today. Might be the rainy weather or it could just be that the fill is kicking in or who knows. All I know is the fill is tighter today than it has been. Tomorrow it might go back to what it was when he initially gave me the fill. I can still eat solids so I am not overfilled. I was wanting to eat less so now I am at that point.

Fills are something that need to be done on what I call a "sneak up on it" schedule. In my opinion, a 2cc fill was way way too much even in an 11cc band. I am glad that you got it taken care of. I agree give your stomach time to relax and adjust to the overfill and overwork it was doing. Just enjoy the weight loss and rest your stomach.