Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill

Had my first fill today! I found out I have a 10 cc band, with 3 cc's already in from surgery. He put 1 cc in. The doc was VERY happy with my weightloss. He says I'm on par so far with his bypass patients! And he didn't want to give me a fill - I said no way, I'm hungry! So he did. It wasn't that bad. He didn't give me any numbing medication or anything, and it hurt a bit, then a bit of pressure, but it wasn't intolerable or anything. Now that I know what it feels like, the next one won't be as bad.

I get my first fill on 12/11. Can't wait. I'm getting hungry lately, but I'm really fighting it. It's good to hear that the pain isn't so bad, although I take pain pretty well.

I'm getting my first fill 12/11. I haven't lost much at all. In fact I think I gained a pound back. Maybe Thanksgiving is catching up with me.

I got my first fill this morning. I've got the new band that holds 10 ccs of Fluid and the doctors put in 3 ccs during the surgery. I got two more this morning. Other than having some problems finding it because of the scar tissue I have, it was pretty painless. (No numbing required.) I go in for another fill in two weeks. I need to remember to eat normally now...no more mushies because that is defeating my band. Also, no more Protein drinks because that adds unnecessary calories. I need to get the Protein from the food (meat) that I'm supposed to be eating.

It is too easy to eat stuff I know won't "hurt". I guess I need to get with the program now. No more baby steps.

Take care.

I too have a 10cc band... how is the restriction with 4 or 5 cc?

I felt very little with the 3 cc's I got originally. Now that I have 5, I cheated and ate my normal cream of wheat Breakfast after the fill and I can tell I've got more in there. I know I'm probably not supposed to eat the day of the fill, but I did anyway. I can feel it sort of like a lump in my throat. I probably won't have a true picture until a couple days go by. I wasn't warned to not eat after the fill so I may eat a "normal" lunch and see how that works. Never a dull moment!!

Take care.

Thanks Kandi. I go for my first fill next Wed and was told I should be fine to eat the next day.

I don't know what my doctor's after-fill diet is but I'm going to my mother's 75th birthday party the next day and I will also just be starting on soft foods. It will be much easier for me at the party if I can eat soft foods rather than be back on liquids or mushies. If his post-fill diet is too severe, I might wait until the next visit for a fill. I want the focus to be on my mother and this will be the first time most of my family has seen me since I emailed them about my surgery. I just don't want to call attention to myself by the strange way I'm eating (or not eating!) I want to look "normal." :)

Banded 11-28-07 -- First fill 1-9-08.

I just had my 1 week post op this morning and they were pleased with the weight drop of 15 lbs since the pre op appointment. that takes me to a total of 35 lbs lost!!!

I can eat about 5 oz. of mushies now and I am full. I wonder if that is restriction or if I am still swollen from having the band fitted????

I think somebody else might have already posted this - but when is everyone's first fill? Mine's next Tuesday! eeek

I am just beginning to research lapband surgery and have a very basic question to which I have not been able to find an answer. What is a fill? I assume it's the first "adjustment" but have not found a definition . . .

Thanks in advance.

Mary

I am just beginning to research lapband surgery and have a very basic question to which I have not been able to find an answer. What is a fill? I assume it's the first "adjustment" but have not found a definition . . .

Thanks in advance.

Mary

Yes Mary, A fill is exactly that... an adjustment. It is done with a shot of Novocaine to numb the area, and then the big needle. It goes into the port and injects the saline to fill the band a couple cc's or so.There is some swelling of the stomach tissue that must first go down. Also, there is some loss of the "fatty pad" that is on the stomach and the band rests on top of this "pad". This is why most docs wait 5 or 6 weeks to do the first fill.

Hope this helps,

Craig

Hi all,

My first fill will be on 12/20 and I can't wait. I'm tired of being hungry. I am eating much less than before but I have no restriction. I know the 1st month is about healing but I'm ready to live a normal life with the band. My band is the small AP band that has some fill in it but my doc removed the fill during surgery. I wish now he would have left it in.

Mary, yes a fill is the same as an adjustment. The doc inserts saline into the port to make the opening to the main part of the stomach smaller so that food flows through slowly and we are full with much less food. That is a very basic description.

Good luck to all getting fills.

Jill

Hi all,

My first fill will be on 12/20 and I can't wait. I'm tired of being hungry. I am eating much less than before but I have no restriction. I know the 1st month is about healing but I'm ready to live a normal life with the band. My band is the small AP band that has some fill in it but my doc removed the fill during surgery. I wish now he would have left it in.

Mary, yes a fill is the same as an adjustment. The doc inserts saline into the port to make the opening to the main part of the stomach smaller so that food flows through slowly and we are full with much less food. That is a very basic description.

Good luck to all getting fills.

Jill

Thanks very much Jill. Yes, that definitely answers my first question but I'm sure I'll have more. By your signature line, it looks like you have similar current weight and weight goals to mine. I'm currently 203 and my current goal is 140. Best of luck and success to you!

Mary

Thanks Mary! Good luck to you too.