Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aside from the band, do you hit the gym too?

I started going to the gym on my second week post surgery...

So far, I am at 218lbs and I started out at 235. In one month, I have lost 17lbs. I think working out helps...do you??

Although my clothes feel looser around my waist, I can pretty much still fit in all of them...not about to buy anything new for myself until I am under 200lbs...that'll be my reward.

Hey there,

I think everybody has different orders according to their doctor. My doctor said that I should wait 6-8 weeks before doing anything other than walking. Not to lift anything more than five pounds up until then. But walking is definitely encouraged! This is just to make sure everything heals nicely... the walking is to help prevent any blood clots and to clear out any pressure build up from the air they pump into you for surgery... which can cause some discomfort. With that said, after my 8 weeks of healing is up, I fully intend on working out big time... just like any other diet, or lifestyle change, you will ALWAYS benefit from exercise... having a proper blend of cardio and weight resistance regimen. You will look and feel healthier... and will be up strength. In my opinion a thin person with muscle definition looks so much more healthy and sexy... but that's just me. Good luck to you!! :)

I started going to the gym on my second week post surgery...

So far, I am at 218lbs and I started out at 235. In one month, I have lost 17lbs. I think working out helps...do you??

Although my clothes feel looser around my waist, I can pretty much still fit in all of them...not about to buy anything new for myself until I am under 200lbs...that'll be my reward.

Hi solaa5,

I don't just think it works, I know it does. I started with a trainer twice a week for an hour each session at six weeks post op. At the end of the first five weeks I had lost 18 lbs. The amazing part is that 18 lbs represents 44 lbs of fat loss and 26 lbs of muscle gain AMAZING! I believe I would have lost around the 18 lbs regardless, but to lose 44 lbs of fat, that is wonderful. I have just finished my 12th week with the trainer. He has set a goal to take measurements and figure body composition again when I reach 300 lbs. (46 lbs from the 18 lb loss). I am excited to see what my body composition is then. This is about fitness and health for me (looking better in clothes and out of them is a bonus). My physicality has literally tripled. That is the same workout that used to take me 60 minutes in week one and two, I can now do in 20 minutes. So yes, exercise makes all the difference and resistance combined with cardio makes for excellent results.

An added bonus is that the exercise gives me another way to manage stress becasue now I can't just eat my stress away (another benefit of the band).

Thanks for letting me get on my soap box.

Good luck and happy banding,

Mary

I go to the gym everyday for 1.5 to 3 hrs. I love the gym and boy 6months ago I would not have been saying that. It helps my stress and I can see a dramatic difference in my body and it keeps my weightloss consistent.

I believe working out is AS important as eating right. One without the other, may work for a while but long term, no good. You wont get great results and you wont keep the results you do get if you dont work out. You'll more than likely be one of those only 60% of excess weight lost statistics.

Gosh I feel like such a schmuck. I hate the gym. Swimming is the ONLY thing I enjoy. I HATE working out, and I HATE sweating. I also have arthritis, and everything in the gym hurts me. The more I work out, the more I hurt, so I don't. I know this is going to limit my success with this new band and I'm very worried about it. I can't take my normal arthritis pain medication anymore either because of stomach bleeding potential. What am I going to do???????

I got myself a new mountain bike as i can walk far due to severe arthritis in both knees and average 30 miles per week.In 9 weeks i am down 58 pounds so it sure works

Aubrie,

Swimming IS exercise! You get to exercise and enjoy it. Ask your G. P. doc about your arthritis meds. He may some other kind of meds that you can take.

At this point in my weight loss, if I don't exercise, I do not lose. I hate the gym too, but I do feel the benefits of adrenalin rushes.

I was working out 6 days a week until August, had to have knee surgery because I got hurt - long story.

I know working out works, my weightloss was going so fast, not only that, inches were melting off. I was addicted to exercise.

I just got the docs okay to get back into it, however, I'm limited until another 3 to 6 months on what I can do. So I'm headed to the gym right now, I can't wait to get started again!

Next week I'm going to try and start getting back up at 5 am and doing it in the am, it just works better for me to workout in the am. Although its hard to get back into routine, I know the outcome will be good.

Before I got the band I asked the question on this forum "What would you change if you had to do it over again" - most of the replies all said they would have started exercising sooner. I decided I wanted to learn from their regrets, so I made sure I started exercises right away.