Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Evaluation

Okay I go Monday at 4:00 for my Psych Evaluation... What should I look for? Besides.. Cuffs, Police, Stray Jacket, Insane Asyleum (sp) person.

Anyway Im afriad.. they are going to lock me up LOL.. okay serious: Should I study anything... I know what im getting into, I know how much my life will change is that about all they ask? Let me know...

Also my Dietain is Tuesday... Im getting closer..... hehehe

i was also in your shoes a couple weeks ago I made myself so nervous it was crazy!

anyways basically it was a life history from my doc.. she wanted to know EVERYTHING about stuff like

weight loss, what its done to me etc.

family stuff like health and support and a lot about childhood

emotional state.. basically asked about my past sexual abuse, stuff that would lead to emotional eating.

Support- this was a huge one she drilled me to make sure I had a good support system in place.. my hubby going with made a HUGE impact on this part

she also wanted to make sure i knew all about the surgery and what it could and could not do for me.. asked me questions like after the surgery how much can i eat after 2 months 4 months 6 months etc.. (she wanted to know in ounces.)

then it went on to excerise and lifestyle changes making sure i could actually do what needed to be done.

if your married.. be ready to be drilled on your relationship just in case.. I was. But then again I was also told the divorce rate for after surgery is 80%!!!!

She made it very clear i couldnt get any answer wrong that its just a way for her to evaluate my state of mind and if i can handle the surgery. be yourself and dont stretch the truth because then you'd be lying to yourself also and it may be a bad thing when it comes to this surgery

overall it was a very plesant experience and i plan to contact her after the surgery and shes gonna come visit me and my husband in the hospital to make sure all is okay.

the dietician was really scary to me.. all i could think of was how they are "diet" people and are against the surgery.. i got quite the opposite. she was very cool and i learned a lot about the after care and she really explained a lot to me. be ready to tell them everything you eat and how often etc. its pretty extensive also...

atleast mine was! hehe just dont be nervous and make sure you convince them that you know all that you can about the surgery and what *could* happen if things go wrong. that was my biggest view from it is they are trying to make sure you do know.

Good Luck!!

Ahhh Thanks so much... good insite there... I know so much of what im going into and know things that can go wrong.. I learned it all here... This is a great site... i have learned a lot Thanks again for the info.. ((((((((Hugs))))))))))

Hi Trish! I (thankfully) didnt have to have a psych. evaluation. I DID have to meet with a dietitian though. My insurance required one or the other; so I chose the other.

the dietician was really scary to me.. all i could think of was how they are "diet" people and are against the surgery.. i got quite the opposite. she was very cool and i learned a lot about the after care and she really explained a lot to me. be ready to tell them everything you eat and how often etc. its pretty extensive also...

I thought the same thing! Like Katerzz said, my dietitian was also very helpful with educating me on eating post-banding. VERY helpful!

Good luck!

Hey Trish. I don't think you will have anything to worry about. Just remember psych. might ask questions about what you know about the band and how it works and how you think it will benefit you.Also has others have said mainly questions on you as a person /childhood/ marriage/weight loss attempts/health problems. I also must say that my psych.was an @$$ and said a few things that I felt were unexceptable about the band but.... I just answered his questions with a smile and figured it would only hurt my evaluation if I got smart back.I DONT THINK HE WAS MUCH ON BAND PROCEDURE Most psych arent there to talk you out of it . They just want to know that you are ready for what your getting into. So my experience just happened to be a little out of the ordinary and I still got a good evaluation and you will too.

Nutritionist was excellent!!! She was very helpful and did not talk Diet talk to me at all . She did ask about weight loss attempts and also what to expect before and after band . What to eat what not to eat 1st 2nd and 3rd food stages. We sat and talked a long time about the procedure and she even told me she felt I had made a good decision having the band . She said she has seen so many people have this done and then come back and see her and she could not believe how much they had changed,mentally/physicaly/ and emotionally. It was a very encouraging visit.

my own eval was quite pleasant and simply focused on a qualified professional observing my decision-making process, and to write an opinion of whether I demonstrated the intellectual capacity to understand what I was proposing to do....

He did make a reasonable effort to gather information about my life-long attempts to control my own weight, and to decide whether this individual (me) in front of him was simply jumping at an ill-advised and illusory bandwagon....ie, did I seem commited for the proper reasons to this surgical option....

This is exactly what I was going to say, and almost exactly how mine went.

I think we owe it to ourselves to be totally honest about our decision to have surgery and how well we understand what we're getting into. I looked at the psych eval as an opportunity FOR ME to examine my own decision as much as for the evaluator to do so. This is not just another hoop to be jumped through. It's important, for everyone.

Trish,

My evaluation was two weeks ago, and I was definately nervous. LOL my best friend told me to ask for a room with extra padding> Hahaha.. But seriously, I found his questions about what I knew about the surgery, before, during and after made me feel that I was truly ready.

That I really knew what I was getting into.

Trish, I know you will do well. Just go in there and be honest and dont be afraid to ask questions. The Psychologist I went to only sees bariatric patients so he was very knowledgable. If you feel comfortable with this person it might be nice to have someone to talk to at some point during your weight loss journey. Besides us LOL...........

Take care and dont worry.....

Thanks everyone!!! GREAT Advise.. (as always) I have been playing the whole process of what I know in my head over and over... talking about it as much as I can I think I am ready for this.. I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow :D

Trish, I just had the Psych eval., not nutritionist. I used one that my Lapband Dr. works with, as he was familiar w/ WLS and patients. Basically, I filled out a multi-page questionnaire w/multiple choice answers. Then I talked w/the dr. He was very nice, calm. He just wanted to know that I had realistic weight loss goals and that I planned on doing regular exercise, eating appropriately...just basically wanted to know that I understood the band, how it works, and what my responsibility would be. It went very smoothly, and quickly, no stress. He advised that he'd be available if I felt the need to talk w/him after banding. You'll do fine!

HAHAHA im not locked... She called me and canceled.. She said that she didnt get the paper work from my Dr. Office so I will be going to see her on Thursady. Ugh!!!