Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UPPER GI or ANOTHER TEST???

With the Upper GI they'll see exactly how the barium flows through the band. If the barium flows "around" the band, then there might be trouble. Cheers to a smooth flow!

This is an old thread, and Paula's test was months ago. Paula, can you give us an update?

Lots of things can be attributed to "reflux" which may or may not be "acid reflux." The word reflux just means things are going in the wrong direction--up instead of down. I've seen that happen in my esophagus with barium during a fluoro test. I think that's what makes the gurgling, froggy sounds in the hour after a meal, but as far as I can make out it's not harmful, just weird.

When it happens at night, I think stomach acid is more likely to be involved. Pain in the throat or difficulty taking a deep breath in the morning are consequences of this and medical help is needed. This is the situation that shouldn't be allowed to continue. Personally I've found behavior modification to help immensely, but there are situations that indicate an unfill.

Paula, how are you doing now?

Yes Paula curious to know since I am still having burning in my throat.. Going to ask if they will do a scope or another upper GI

Gosh, this was so long ago, I hope I can remember the details.

I had a barium swallow, and everything looked fine. It was really neat to see the band "working". I could see the baruim sit in the pouch for about 5 seconds then VERY slowly it would leak down.

It did not show reflux though.

But everything was positioned correctly and was working the way it should. Although getting a scope would be the "other" test to have done to check for ulcers or other problems.

My reflux is better. Depending on what I eat in the late afternoon determines if I have it or not. Sadly, Ive learned that lap band reflux is more commen then those of us on LBT realize. :)

For some reason I started chewing 2-3 tums every night RIGHT before I go to bed. And you know what?

It works - i dont wake up with the hot lava in my throat.

THis may not work for everyone, but it sure has given me a better nights sleep.

Example: yesterday afternoon I had some chewy choc. chip Cookies around 7. Around 9:30 I chewed my 2 tums, and went to bed around 10. I could feel the reflux just waiting for me to relax so it could come up. So I chewed another tums and about 10 minutes later that feeling went away.

??? dont know guys, but its a cheap/easy relief for me.

Thanks for asking everyone.

Pain in the throat or difficulty taking a deep breath in the morning are consequences of this and medical help is needed

I definately AGREE!!!!!

I read recently that ANOTHER reflux problem is that the reflux continuely boils up and stomach acid "coats" the opening of the esophugus (sp?). This is even more serious of a problem - results in esophugal cancer.

So, La Madam, what is an endoscopy? Isn't that where they put the tube witha camera down your throat. I think that's what they want me to have.

On the slippage, reflux question -- my experience is very similar to leatha g's. After my band was re-positioned and I got my first fill in June, the reflux kicked in in a big way. (The bad reflux was an indicator of my slippage, according to the doctor.)

Finally went and had an unfill. The reflux improved but I still have crazy burping/gas issues. Reading some of my radiologists reports from previous Upper GI's, it does show a hiatial hernia. Whether it was there before my original surgery in 2003, who knows?

So, will I always have complications from fills because of that hiatial hernia? I do NOT want another surgery.