Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UPPER GI or ANOTHER TEST???

Its been almost 7 months now since my banding. And since Im still having reflux at night (along with other strange sensations), I have an Upper GI scheduled for Tuesday morning.

What exactly can they see with the 'Upper GI'? Are they able to see the band and how its working?

Basically, is THIS the proper test to have when you want everything checked out?

Yes. This is the same test they do on flouro. They can see the positioning, they'll give you barium to drink to follow the flow of liquids from your esophagus to the small intestine. Depending on the orders, they could even adjust your fill at the same time if they saw reason to do so. I hope you get it straightened out. Nighttime reflux if severe is nothing to let go on for very long.

The best test to see all that is going on with your band is an endoscopy. That will give definite results but if they feel something is not right after your upper GI they may have to do an endoscopy. Upper GI will look at the esophagus and you will be able to see the band and how the barium is flowing through

Good Luck

Hope it all goes smoothly :D

Hope everything works out for you Paula. Do you mind sharing what other sensations you are having?

Thanks Leatha and Michelle! You two are great!

Mary, everything has happened since this 2nd fill. Started with the reflux, and thats been an adjustment right there. Another strange thing is that often I sound like a frog - (dont laugh) a 'ribbit' sound coming up my throat, Im sure is gas/air/whatever. But the latest is this 'crackle' feeling in my chest area... weird, huh? The crackle happens about twice a week at night. Ive thought about different things it could be related to, but Im clueless. Do you remember the Pop Rock candy we ate as kids? that crackle feeling? THAT is what it feels like, like I swallowed some of that Pop Rock candy.

So? enough is enough, goin' get a test!

Hey Leatha, when I called my surgeons office to schedule this, they asked what kind of problems I was having. During the discussion, the girl I was talking to said that IF a patient has a slipped band they would NOT be able to keep down anything, not even a sip of Water.

???

Then they've never had a slipped band. lol. I've seen this said many times, I've also seen it said numerous times that people had little to NO symptoms and certainly not any that severe and were found to have what amounts to a 'sliding' slip.

I can point you to numerous ones who were found to have had hiatal hernias that should have been fixed before their banding who had these silent slips. If it gets to the point where you can't even swallow your own spit, the stomach has then folded over the band and occluded the pathway for the swallowing. This has to start somewhere. Most probably with a minor slippage either lower or higher on the stomach then eventually - if left untreated, the stomach could protude on through the band and cause the more severe symptoms. They said mine was simply slipping up and down on the stomach, it did not have it obstructed which was the reason I never really had a problem with eating. I did, however, develop reflux AFTER I got a fill on top of this slippage.

I'll attach my films where you can see the stomach protruding above the band. You can also see that my band is sitting straight/horizontal when it should be angled upward. I was told this was either a case of using the old surgery technique OR the sutures used to sew the stomach around the band had come undone. Who really knows the truth??

I cant see your band - Ive looked, thought it was going to be BRIGHT/white, easy to see.

Is it below your 'upper' pouch'?

So, other then reflux, you had no other symptoms - none?

What about restriction?

One last question...

what is a revision?

The band is the hard looking, straight across object directly below the upper pouch. The day I had the fill, I had problems swallowing, I pb'd on a Protein shake. I had some pain upon swallowing, but after about 2 days on liquids I was able to ease back into foods with very little problem. Then the nighttime reflux appeared.

In my case, revision was simply the placement of a new band. In some cases, they are able to go in and reposition the old band.

Thank for the information Paula.

The reason I ask is because anytime through out the day that I drink Water I get a burning sensation in the back of my throat where my tonsils would be at first I thought it was reflux and took Nexium for awhile did nothing for it. Then I got a sore throat chalked it up to that but now that I am better it is there again. The popping sound you describe is what I hear on a daily basis cannot take me to a movie let me tell you I am a distraction, that is all you hear.

I sleep now in an upright position cause I was getting alot of reflux there for awhile

so I now drink or eat nothing after 6pm and wait at least 4hrs after eating to lie down.

I read the different replies and have changed my appt from later next month to this Friday just to be sure that my band or my fill is ok. My tummy feels fine if I did not have this constant burnung I would feel fine..

Please up date us once you get your results. Hope everything goes well

Mary, sorry to hear you are having strange things happen as well. And same goes for you - Please let us know what (if anything) is found.

Im going to have to reschedule my test for Friday as well. Tomorow's opportunity for me to have this test has suddenly changed (no help with childcare).

I just looked at your numbers and *unbelievable* you are doing fantastic!

Ok, Im not going to compare.... :D

Hi Paula -- I know exactly what you mean by the "ribbit" noise. I've been frogging all the time since my last fill. I never know when a new weird noise is going to emerge. I don't have the "crackle" you describe, but I'm constantly croaking -- in fact, I'm doing it as I write this, twenty minutes after lunch. Ribbit. Ribbit. It's not easy being green . . .

Wanted to bump this up and ask about it...since you are all still on the site...

How did it go? Did it go away?

My reflux is finally a better but I have the pop rocks "crackle" feeling and a sore throat. I started taking prevacid about 2 weeks ago which has seemed to help the overall reflux/gasritis type issues.

I have not been ultra careful in not eating or drinking late but I am starting to try to be more aware. Last night I quit early and my throat did not hurt this am but by the end of the day it started to bother me again.

Can't wait to hear how it is working for all of you.

Lindsay