Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks out...resticted still?

Hi,

I have read there is some restriction from swelling but I know my swelling has had time to go down.

Is it normal to not be able to eat more than about 1-1/2 cups of food at the most. I can eat a couple of scrambled eggs for Breakfast and I can get some bites of meat or fish, maybe 3oz at most for lunch. Soup does good, bread seems to get "stuck".

Is it possible that I do indeed have restriction?

Sometimes if I eat too fast or don't chew good I feel like something is stuck in my chest and I will start to get a lot of salava and maybe some food to back up.

I am trying to make good food choices. I lost about 12 lbs the first 2 weeks out and have maintained. I am exercising.

Should I hold off on getting a fill?

Need some advice from more experienced bandsters please.

What do you guys typically eat?

Thanks..

I have no advice but am in the SAME exact boat - I will be four weeks post op this coming Wed (2/2) which is the day I start solids - I get filled up on about 1 cup of Pasta or two scrambled eggs (no milk)... but can eat more soup/brouth with out any problem (common - that's why it's a no-no after this healing stage). I do get hungry more often though. The earliest my doctor will do a fill is 6 weeks post op. I am suppose to contact them a few days after I start solids to discuss how much/often I eat to determine if I need a fill at the 6 week point. I figure I will wait and see then, it could be a whole new ballgame once it's solid food in there.

So, no advice... just letting you know where I am - looking forward to the more experienced people replying (love this board, btw). Thanks for asking this.

I have been eatting for two weeks, chewing well. I began mushies after a week.

You are losing well. Are you exercising? I am trying to 3-4 times per week. At least 20 on treadmill and 20 weights. I have dropped a size, yippie.

I only had 55 lbs to lose but was unable to get it off for years and there is a strong family history of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure.. you name it.

I am so glad I made the decision to nip it in the bud before I was 100lbs over weight, which my mother is.

Had my surgery in Monterey with Dr. Sanchez. I was very impressed. I am an RN and checked it out well, lol.

Jack, have you had a fill yet? Where are you and your doctor at with that?

Thank you for sharing your experiences...

Pasta is NOT the best choice, you are right. I had it for the first time last night as I went out to dinner with my family and that was the only thing that qualified as "soft" on the menu. I do not intend on making that a habit, for sure... Pasta is one of my best friends and worst enemies if you KWIM...

I am really struggling to determine if what I feel is HUNGER or my head talking... when I feel like I want to eat I have to stop and concentrate on my body/stomach and see if it's really hunger. I long for the day where I just "know" and don't have to question my own motives.

Again, thank you for responding... time for me to get on the treadmill. I wish I looked forward to it, lol.

well.......I'm barely 6 weeks out and couldn't possibly manage to eat 2 whole eggs....

I feel stuffed on 6 teaspoons of yoghurt, although that sensation passes rapidly....

I can drink 12oz Protein Shake in about 15-20 minutes with total comfort, but faster than than I get what they tell me is "soft stop" sensation --ie 'if you stuff any more down right now you'll be sorry'....

I manage about 6 oz pureed stuff at a time....and my omlette of one egg with the fixings leave room in a tuna can....although last night for the first time I added TWO crackers---

when I get the sensations you describe, I think it is the band demonstrating restriction...and that 'being stuffed' sensation goes away in a few minutes...

I haven't dared to try any pasta yet....and from what I read, there's better choices for me....as a diabetic I am striving to eliminate ALL insulin shots...down to about 1 per week so far...rather than 2 per day....

and I still have virtually NO hunger....

That is fantastic Jack. Thank you for explaining his guidelines. I am still losing, though it has slowed down since the second week of full fluids (I was one clear, two weeks of full, now on one week of soft - start solids next week). I am still eating a LOT LESS then before, lol... but more than I think I should be. We'll see. I wish I could stop myself from weighing so often. I am aiming for one time per week too.

Alice, I hope this is helping YOU since you are the one that started this thread - sorry to be jumping in so much - you just so happen to ask a question very relevant to where I am at too.

I haven't had a fill yet (four weeks post-op), but I was feeling resistance until the start of the fourth week. Now, I think I am really ready for a fill as I am eating more than I should need to in order to feel satisfied or full.

I felt restricted right up until 3 days prior to my first scheduled fill... I was worried about getting a fill and then bam... WIDE OPEN! I went from very restricted to being able to shove a cornish game hen down whole in a matter of days. Some people never need a fill... some people never fill restricted until they have a fill... everyone has a different experience... you will feel it when you lose restiction... for me it was like night and day. Good luck!

I was banded 12/28/04 and I'm finally into regular food. Up until that point, I thought I was restricted but I'm beginning to question that as I can take in a lot more. During puree phase I pretty much stayed at the weight I was for my first doctors appointment but I'm starting to lose again.

I see my surgeon again on Monday to find out if I'll be getting my first fill anytime in the near future or if we'll hold off to see if I continue to lose weight.