Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Together or Separately?

Egor and I are both waiting for insurance to let us get banded. Meanwhile, I'd like advice and opinions. Should we have surgery together, a few days or weeks apart, or a month or more apart? We have different general doctors, so they may not recommend the same doctor to do our bands.:think

Egor and I are both waiting for insurance to let us get banded. Meanwhile, I'd like advice and opinions. Should we have surgery together, a few days or weeks apart, or a month or more apart? We have different general doctors, so they may not recommend the same doctor to do our bands.:think

I would do it a few weeks apart, so that one can help the other one immediately post-op.

I agree. It took me a week to feel pretty much all right, but I could still tire easily - especially with a little one. If you have kids I'd recommend waiting 2-3 weeks apart, but otherwise 1-2.

Unless you have children to take care of, I would say do it together. My husband and I did, and it has been good to compare experiences. Plus, it is a whole lot easier when you are on the same phase of pre and post op diet together. Also, we keep each other in line food-wise ("Are you REALLY going to eat ALL THAT???") I'm very glad we did it together. We are going in for our first fills Thursday.

I would say do it together. It is a pretty easy recovery for most so you do not really need someone to take care of you. I live alone and i did fine. If you do it together you will be in the same phase of your diet. If you have small children ,well that is a different matter. Donna

Doing it together gives you both a "partner in crime" so to speak. You will both learn together and support each other. If the logistics work for you (no kids, or kids at granny's for several days or whatever)....

I can't think of anything that I actually needed someone else around for. I wanted to get up frequently to walk so even when my husband offered to get things for me, I declined.

I think doing it together is a great idea, but do try to get things ready ahead of time. For example, I hung out in the recliner in my bedroom so I had a TV tray next to it and the heating pad plugged in and ready to go. Just try to anticipate any lifting you might need to do and get those things ready.

If you do it within about five days of each other, you'll need someone to drive each of you home. My doctor said I needed to be off of pain meds for 24 hours before I could drive. I was banded on a Thursday and drove to work on the following Tuesday.

Good luck!

If you have the opportunity to do it together, I "Highly" recommend it!

Husband and I have not had one appt alone, we're even getting our fills @ the same time...Great check & balance in the home as far as food / exercise goes..Good luck,

lulu

Thanks for all of the replies. Egor and I are nearing our 51st birthdays, and our kids are all grown, so we will try it together...like nearly everything else since 1973!

His BMI is a couple of points higher than mine. Will that make an impact on what we eat when?

Egor thinks everything is happening too fast, and I think waiting until March is too slow! Do any of the other "band duets" have problems like that?

That should not be a problem, I was 10pts lower than my husbands BMI & 7 wks out I cook the same for both of us, high Protein - lean meals (he eats more usually). He healed faster than I did & in doing so got hungry well before me, it is true ... no 2 are alike in this deal.

I like the "duet" name, very fitting,

Lu~