Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ok. so i'm a total noob...

Hey everyone! I've been kind of lurking around here for a bout 2 weeks and finally decided to join today! yay! so i'm going to my info session in january. i'm like 89% sure that i want this. well sometimes i'm 100% sure and sometimes like 50%. is that normal?:cry some days i'm so excited to be getting this done and some days i'm really scared.

and what's up with the "before" diet? do you need to be down to a certain weight to get the surgery? cause i'll get a head start now if it means i can get the surgery done sooner.

ok one more thing. what's the best and worst thing about getting banded?

thanks so much! reading everyone's posts have already been so helpful. i can't wait to get started!

Hi Trish, I remember how excited I was year and a half ago before my surgery. I've been banded 18 months now so I'm doing really well. I've gone down 3 sizes so far. 1 more size and I'll be at goal. The worst thing about being banded is I now cannot eat spicy food. I also PB if I eat too much. Julie

thanks for replying! this might be dumb but what is PB? is that the regurgitation thing?

also, how long did it take to get back on your feet and walking around. i'm gonna be doing an externship in spring (i'm gonna be a veterinary nurse) and it's all day on my feet. if i get banded the week before, do you guys think i'll be ok?

thanks again!

Trish:

Of course, the best part is that I've lost half of my excess weight and there's many positives that go along with that. I'd have to say that the worst thing is that I occasionally have pain and discomfort in my left shoulder if I've eaten too much or too fast. I think it's my warning signal, but by the time it comes it is too late.

Good luck on your weight loss journey, and any weight you can lose before surgery the better.

Also, about being on your feet constantly a week after surgery might be a bit tough. I had issues with afternoon exhaustion for the first couple of months, but that was me. Everyone's different.

Take care.

Sue

They make you lose the weight usually 10% before surgery because they want to shrink the liver and make the surgery safer. My doc let me slide with 5%.

The best thing aside from having lost nearly 70lbs is that I can keep up with my friends in daily life. For me the worst thing is the scars. They aren't that bad, but 6 months later and they are still reddish purple. I guess I have bad skin for scarring. Oh well, it is a small price to pay to be healthy and thin and I would pay it a million times over. Good luck with your decision.

The problem with being on your feet so much so soon isn't just the aftereffects of surgery; it's the effect of being on a liquid diet and your body isn't getting enough nourishment for the first week after surgery. My doctor required a clear liquid diet for one week, then a "full liquid" diet for two weeks after that. I would have times especially in the first week when I was weak and had to rest. You are a lot younger and may be fine, or your doctor may have you on a less stringent diet.

And yes, pb is "that regurgitation thing." It stands for productive burping.