Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody else only get in 2 meals a day?

Was just curious to see how many others are only getting in two meals a day. I wake up in the morning and just can't make myself eat. I am not hungry until about 11:00 a.m. so that is when I have my "breakfast" I am staying full for between 5-6 hours which makes my second meal in the late afternoon or early evening. Usually I am ready for bed long before I am ready to eat again. I haven't lost any weight for two weeks now and decided I better call my doctor about this. He said that I have to eat three meals no matter what and that he'd force feed me if I don't. He said my metabolism is slowing down because my body thinks it's starving hence no weight loss. I have tried eating Breakfast sooner even though I am not ready for it and all that does is make me nauseated. The doctor referred me to the dietician and she said I should have something really little in the morning like string cheese or a 4 oz. yogurt. I guess all I can do it try it for a week and if things don't get any better then the doc will see me. Anybody else having similar problems?

I only eat about one and a half meals a day and try to get all my Water in. I knew my metabolism would slow down if I kept eating like that so to keep that from happening, I have started working out. I am at the gym at least four times a week and I do cardio and weights....right now my focus is getting the Protein in and making sure I am drinking enough Water.

By folks on here say the appetite will kick in...but I am in no hurry for that to happen yet...

You might find it interesting to do a search on starvation mode -- it's much discussed on the forums. There's no real data on it either way, it seems. I personally don't believe in it FOR MY BODY, though I'm open to the fact that some people's bodies may behave differently. I think as long as you're getting adequate Protein to sustain your muscle mass and adequate Vitamins and minerals (which can be done on about 700 cals/day), weight loss is all about cals in versus cals out and 2 meals a day is FINE.

But I'm not a doctor. Read the past posts -- I think you'll enjoy the debate!

hi jennibee,

i am normally not hungry in the morning anyway, but force myself to get some calories in. i know tons of bandsters are tight in the morning.

i usually have an Atkins Caramel shake (delish!!) for breakfast. i do stay full until about 11-12ish.

good luck!

I have been working out at Curves three times a week (a half an hour on their circuit equals one hour of exercise) The nurse at the doctors' office said that since I've begun to be more active that maybe weight loss would slow and the inches would start coming off. Either way I'm not going to complain, losing weight or losing inches is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I will try to take the advice of the dietician and eat something small just to see if it makes a difference. I figure a week should be enough time to know if I can stomach three meals or not. If I can't then I'll go back to two and take things from there. Thanks for you input!

I eat 5-6 small meals a day and I swear by it. My metabolism is speeding and I am losing 2-3lbs a week. I really feel great when I am eating this way and I exercise for an hour to 2hours everyday so that helps the metabolism a bunch too. I agree with the dietician about eating something small in the morning to get your metabolism going. If you can't stomach a yogurt or string cheese, try a shake or just simply a glass of milk. Your body needs those calories and nutrition to kick start it for the rest of the day.

Its about the only time I'd admit Protein shakes are worthwhile foods - just to get something in to start your day and wake up your metabolism.

Although I'd be MUCH more likely to blend a banana or some berries into a glass of milk.