Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfilled for the first time in 18 months

Hi all --

I've been having reflux, vomiting issues as well over the past few weeks. I was at 2.5 and doing fine. Then I flew on a plane and that seemed to trigger something. Plus there was stress, change in weather, time of the month, pretty much anything, and then wham! I couldn't keep anything solid down, which gradually progressed to not keeping anything down -- day or night. I woke up gagging several times last week (thanksgiving was a joy) and was unable to chew gum. I resorted to eating ice chips just to hydrate. Today, I went to the dr. who did a complete unfilled with a follow up (and esophogram) scheduled for next week. I've never been so excited to eat a sandwich in my life!

Although I love the fact that I'm down over 6 lbs in a week, the discomfort and embarrassment (my sister thinks I'm bulimic) isn't worth it.

In the interim, any suggestions on staying on track without the help of the band? I won't be surprised if I go up a bit owing to the extreme way I lost the lbs recently, but I'd very much like to keep it to a minimum (if not actually continue to lose).

Dawn

I had a complication with my band and had the band unfilled for about two months. I hadn't eaten for a long period of time prior to the un-fill and was excited to eat as well. I ended up putting on about 15 pounds.

My advice to you is to try your hardest to stay on track and not go 'crazy' like I did.

I am completely unfilled, and have been for close to a year (by choice, no medical reason behind it). Haven't gained a thing.

I concentrate not on how much I am eating, but what I am eating. Eat good low fat / calorie Protein, lots of veggies and some carbs if you can fit them in, and make double sure you are not drinking with meals, and you should be just fine.

And yeah, you likely will gain a bit (if not all) of that 6lbs back, because you are surely dehydrated from the PB'ing. Don't be too disappointed.

Good luck with your follow up appointment.

I just had an unfill on Thursday. I have been suffering with what I think is acid reflux, although it is more like just liquids coming up than acid. I have had this problem since November 2006, exactly one year after getting my band. Since then I have not lost any weight, and have been going up and down the same ten pounds all year.

I don't have insurance, so I can't get all the testing done that will show what is going on with my band. And even if it were a slip or something, I certainly cannot afford surgery. I am still paying for the initial surgery.

Finally, I just asked the Dr. to remove all the Fluid. OMG - I feel sooooo much better now. I joined Weight Watchers, and I am exercising like crazy, so I am hoping to finally lose weight without my band filled. The issues I had were actually stopping me from losing weight. The constant burning feeling in my stomach made me want to eat, kind of like hunger pains. And I craved milk, because that was the one thing that made my stomach feel better.

Anyway, I hope I can make it for a while. I also hope that my stomach will heal and maybe reposition or something so I can get a fill again without all the issues.