Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanted a fill. Doc said no. I'm HUNGRY

I've lost about 34 lbs since my surgery 6 weeks ago. I'm being very disciplined, but my hunger is killing me. Dr. said weight loss looks good, but I said "isnt this supposed to control hunger?" So they gave me a slight fill. What's the deal? I thought it was about controlling hunger, not sending you away cause you aren't snacking. If I wanted to use will power I would have tried another diet!!!

I understand exactly how you feel, I have been doing the same thing for 2 months. The only difference is you are still losing weight. I have been "dieting" for the last 2mths. waiting for my dr. to fill me enough so I wouldn't be so hungry. But all I can tell you is to call your dr. and be straight with him and let him know that you are still hungry. He is something like my dr., if you lose weight, he won't give you much of a fill. If I gain weight then I can get a fill. But it's tough sticking with this and you still feel hungry. I really understand you. But i really think you should call him and let him know how you feel.

I've lost about 34 lbs since my surgery 6 weeks ago. I'm being very disciplined, but my hunger is killing me. Dr. said weight loss looks good, but I said "isnt this supposed to control hunger?" So they gave me a slight fill. What's the deal? I thought it was about controlling hunger, not sending you away cause you aren't snacking. If I wanted to use will power I would have tried another diet!!!

Some doctors will not give a fill if the patient is losing weight within the 1-2 pounds per week expectation.

They are following the INAMED instructions:

3. Where the average weight loss between

visits has been greater than 2 lbs per week,

normally no additional Fluid would be added.

http://www.allerganandinamed.com/pdf/health/94163_04_LB_Product_Data_Sheet.pdf

I have had 2 fills totaling 4cc's in an APS 10cc band. I have another 2 weeks to go before my doctor will fill another 1cc in it. I have trouble sticking to diets so people around me don't understand why I don't seem to be losing with the band. I try to tell them it's a process. Some people don't need many fills but some people need more for restriction. I can still eat almost the same as before depending on the day and what I am eating. Some days only half a sandwich goes down before the "stacking up" thing starts to happen and I have to quit. Some days I can eat more....:cry:help: Anyway...it's too bad to feel like you can't try to lose some before TOTAL restriction because of a doctor that won't give you a fill if you're losing. I would rather not lose until the sweet spot comes around than risk not getting fills...because I fail at diets. I have a hard time explaining to my family the difference between my band process taking a few months and what a gastric bypass does. They get confused. :phanvan

at my 3 weeks post op, dr. visit i expressed to my dr. that i was hungry most of the time, so he gave me my first fill and said i could come back every 2 weeks until i get a good restriction. i made my appt for my 2nd fill on 12/11, im starving!!!!

I too am hungry but not all the time - Nov 1 was banding and down a out 20 pounds - but also watchung and feel like a diet again - will call docotr this week for further fill

Don't forget to double-check what you are eating. Many bandsters report feeling full longer if they eat lean Protein first, then veggies, and carbs if there's still room. A food log is helpful, too, to keep track of grams of Protein and Water intake.

Make sure you are making good food choices and that you are drinking 64 ounces of Water daily between meals. Avoid overly processed foods, sweets, and junk food as much as possible.

This is the most difficult period of time to get through. For me, it took almost a year to get to an optimum level of restriction! Hang in there--after several fills, you'll find that the restriction improves!

Got my first fill today. The doc was very happy with the weight loss and said maybe we don't need to do a fill - I said NO WAY, I'm STARVING! Then he gave me the fill. It's all been willpower, no feeling of fullness, so I definitely needed to get the ball rolling on fills, and so he listened to me and did it. If you're starving and need it, then tell him/her that and hopefully they'll listen.

I don`t think i am ever really hungry anymore. When i eat now it is just because i think i should or i am bored.I am trying to teach myself if you are not hungry you do not need to eat. Donna

Received my first fill today - 3cc's in a 10cc band. I have lost 30lbs since banding on 10-25-07, until last week it was easy but for the last week it has gotten harder.

The Dr. said that as the swelling from the surgery goes down the restriction becomes less. I had the fill at 9am and can already feel the difference. I have to be on liquids for a day, had Soup for luch and could only eat about a quarter of it.

Hang in there and listen to your body, please let the Dr. know what's going on with you.

Hi...i noticed your quote from Sept. have you had any success?i am like the the most depressed person right now..would be nice to have someone to compare notes with.

i have had 5 fills since my surgery in March. ive only lost about 15 pounds. i look no different and i feel no different.

i did months of exercise..i did feel better..but that has gone away. i feel like an unsuccessful fastass....my family keep asking me when its going to start working..but its been nearly a year. i have 3.9cc in a 4cc band...when i called the dr this month the nurse tells me she isnt really sure what else she can do for me. that i may be one of the people who is unsuccessful with the surgery. HELP.. i feel like i can eat anything...

ssmith9994@gmail.com

thanks S. Smith

MY FIRST FILL I GAINED WAIT BECAUSE MY DR. DIDN'T WANT ME TO DIET OR STARVE MYSELF. HE ALWAYS TELL ME TO EAT UNTIL I FEEL FULL SO HE COULD KNOW HOW MUCH OF A FILL I WILL NEED. I USE TO MEASURE ALL MY food, EAT LEAN CUISINE, NOT ANYMORE!! I EAT UNTIL I'M FULL AND LET HIM AJUST ME WITH FILLS. I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I HAVEN'T LOST AS MUCH WAIT AS YOU BUT I AM LOSING AND NOT STARVING OR FEELING HUNGRY. SO I GUESS IT REALLY UP TO EACH PERSON ABOUT THE WAY THEY WANT TO LOSE THEIR WAIT. AND IF I LOSE WEIGHT MY DR. WON'T GIVE ME A FILL , ONLY IF I MAINTAIN THE SAME WEIGHT OR DON'T LOSE ANY WEIGHT AT ALL HE WILL GIVE ME A FILL.

Well said, Redgirl. My doc is the same way. He insists that I understand satiety and how it feels in my body, and I don't feel any excessive hunger and "diet" through it. I had my first fill Oct. 31st and my third one a week ago, and I have excellent restriction. Losing a couple pounds a week is wonderful! Any more, and I start to suspect I am burning Lean muscle tissue and I need all of that I can get!

Thanks for putting this they way you did. It really help to confirm my trust in my Doc.

I`m in England and after having my band in Sept 07 I still haven`t had my 1st fill. I can eat anything and only losing weight by going to the gym each day. Feel like the band has let me down.

I would get on the phone and INSIST that I get a fill. After 6 weeks, you can get one. There is no excuse for this. The band works, but until it is filled, for most people, it is as if it isn't even there.

CALL your doctor and FUSS! You go girl.