Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone choose to stop getting fills - even before restriction?

I have had my first fill and do not feel all that much difference. Now that I am eating healthier and exercising a ton, I am loosing consistently. My question is:

Is there anyone out there who stopped getting fills as they were losing weight consistently - they avoided fills becuase they did not want to experience the PB's that everyone talks about?

Just wondering if my behavior modification is working now - along with my drastically reduced calorie intake - why would I want to get to 'restriction'? I am new to this and still trying to figure it all out.

BTW, I have another fill appointment on 12/12

If I'm losing without feeling hungry or deprived, I won't have a fill. I think that's what is great about the band because if that should change, the fill is still an option.

Good luck!

Yes, definitely.

I mean I have 3 ml in a 4ml band, which would be way too tight for a lot of people. But for me, for some unknown reason it is not very much restriction, I can eat bread, steak, all the common problem foods and when I dont set my mind to it, I can overeat, but not seriously.

Its just enough to keep the amount I eat in check, and more importantly its enough to slow me down, I can block and PB very easily if I gulp, and just slowing down really makes a difference to how much you eat.

If I were obsessed with that "sweet spot" I'd be upset that I havent reached it becuase half a cup is not usually enough to satisfy me and I can eat bread. But I think good restriction means different things to different people and for me, what I have has been enough to work with.

I'm now a healthy weight but I would like to lose another 15lb or so, but will I go get more fill to make this easy? No, I wont. I really believe if it aint broke, dont fix it, I am very lucky to have gotten this far without having to be as restricted as other people and I am not about to start messing about with it now, if I get those 15lb off (and it is coming off, v-e-r-y slowly) it will be under my own steam and not becuase of more fill. I think I'd be a fool to mess with it now. Unless it becomes way looser and I suddenly get way hungrier, there'll be no more fills for me.

Thanks Jachut - your perspective is always great to hear. I love your signature. That is exactly what I need to do. I am doing the C25K now and with this one fill, I feel pretty darn good.

The band has stopped me from the crazy binging and even much of the grazing when I follow the orders of the DR and only eat 3 times per day - when I am hungry (what a concept?) Everything else is a bonus!

I was banded in Nov of 06. I have only lost 42 pounds out of the 85 I needed to loose. Slow weight loss. YES. I have only had two fills up until 3 days ago. ( NOW I am tight again) I chose not to be so tight I could live life. Yes my weight loss has been slow but I feel its healthier. My weight loss had stopped and the holidays were here so it was time. This last time has been very tight! But I had just gotten spoiled being able to eat moderate amounts. I exercise regularly, walk 40 minutes every morning and cook healthful. SO... Thats my story and I consider this a GREAT SUCCESS!

I was banded in Nov of 06. I have only lost 42 pounds out of the 85 I needed to loose. Slow weight loss. YES. I have only had two fills up until 3 days ago. ( NOW I am tight again) I chose not to be so tight I could live life. Yes my weight loss has been slow but I feel its healthier. My weight loss had stopped and the holidays were here so it was time. This last time has been very tight! But I had just gotten spoiled being able to eat moderate amounts. I exercise regularly, walk 40 minutes every morning and cook healthful. SO... Thats my story and I consider this a GREAT SUCCESS!

I think so, too! Congratulations! :clap2:

I'm in the same boat. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. My next appointment is on 12/17 and I'm trying to decide if I want fill# 2.

My weight loss has far exceeded my expectations so far! It's mostly been behavior modification for me. So far I haven't experienced any restriction, even with a small fill. I feel like I'd like the band to be "helping" me a little more but some times I'm not sure if it’s just head hunger. Working out has helped a lot too.

I had to really convince my doctor to give me a fill at all. I was feeling a little anxiety about the fill process so I think I wanted to get one out of the way. And also hoped maybe I'd get some sensation there's actually a band in there - lol!

Be sure to post an update on your decision.

I was banded in April of 06, and had 2 fills in the first 3-4 months following surgery, and that has been it. It has been well over a year and a half since my last fill. My losing has slowed down, but it has been overall pretty steady---the inches drop at times, even when the scale seems stuck.

I flirted with the idea of another fill just to hurry along the last of the weight, but decided against it. I too can eat anything, if I approach it right. I still have restriction, I MUST chew well, eating in a hurry is an open invitation to get something stuck.

I continue to lose, albeit slowly now, but if I were to kick up my exercise it would help!!

I made the decision that the rest of the weight is up to me. My band is at a happy place, so I refuse to mess with it. Being too full and requiring an unfill seems to begin problems---problems I don't want.

At the time he did my 2nd fill---it would put me at a total of 1.75cc in my band that will hold up to 4 cc.

Kat

I agree with all of the above. I have not been banded long (Oct. 5) but I want a life. I was too tight after surgery so all the primer Fluid was removed from my band and I wondered if I would ever need a fill. I did go this week for 1cc in my 10 cc band. I am very comfortable now. I can eat up to 1200 cals per day and about 3/4 to 1 cup of food. I don't feel deprived, I can eat anything I want as long as I chew well. I want to loose weight slowly and I want to enjoy eating as well. The risks of being too tight- frighten me. For me, this is the sweet spot everyone talks about.