Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

holy mother of need help

i need some help/advice:( i was banded on 8.1.07. i have had 3 fills & i believe i'm at 3.2. problem: some days i can eat without ANY restriction (ie...plate full of nachos, 2-3 pieces of pizza) and other days i can't even have a bite of anything without getting sick. meh. and, to top that all off, i have only lost maybe 15-20 lbs since surgery. sooo frustrated & thought maybe you guys can help. thank you, thank you, thank you:)

Nachos and pizza? I hope your post is susposed to be a joke. I don't want to be mean but don't you know that you have to eat healthy. Do you see a nutritionist? Maybe you should get a book on nutrition after bariatric surgery.

I eat nachos and pizza also, although not all the time. The band allows us to indulge occasionally yet not over do it. I usually eat the right foods but I must admit I have cheated, we are only human! The band works best if you eat the right foods which is why I do 80 % of the time. I have lost 50 lbs thus far in approximately 4 months which is not bad. If you eat the Protein first (like we are supposed to do) then usually you will feel fuller quicker and longer, especially if you add some Fiber. Junk food usually passes easily which is why I can usually eat alot of the junk at one time. Restriction varies daily due to normal bodily processes, such as the time of the month for me which usually feels much tighter than normal, you just have to find out what works best for you at certain times. I once heard that a person who allows themselves to cheat occasionally but gets right back on track has a better chance of maintaining weight loss over the long term than a person who completely deprives themselves and then falls of the wagon. You have to expect that there will be times that we will cheat its just how you handle those times which will determine if you have long term success. Good Luck!!!

You may want to get your fill checked again. When I hit the point where I could get that kind of food down I went straight back to the doctor for a "top off". That being said, just because you have fills doesn't give you license to eat the way you did before. Nachos? pizza? Maybe once in a blue blue moon, but NOT on any regular basis. That's just eating around the band, and you won't get anywhere fast doing that.

Kiwi dear, ok please understand that what I am about to say comes from love...

DEAR GOD put down the pizza, step away from the nachos and get real! The band does not choose what you will eat, you do. You have to make good food choices. You need to make yourself makes good choices or there really is no reason to go on. The band is a tool, not the cure. You have to work it or you will not be able to loose.

PM me if you want more help. I am more than happy to help, but first get rid of the bad food!

You may want to get your fill checked again. When I hit the point where I could get that kind of food down I went straight back to the doctor for a "top off". That being said, just because you have fills doesn't give you license to eat the way you did before. Nachos? pizza? Maybe once in a blue blue moon, but NOT on any regular basis. That's just eating around the band, and you won't get anywhere fast doing that.

Well said.

The band doesn't choose food for us, we do that. I agree that once in a while various other foods are okay but in my case, I do that about once a month. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

wow...thank you all for your honest advice! here's the pickle (which is why i mentioned nachos & pizza) when i eat what i'm "supposed" to eat (meat, veggies) i get sick:( sorry to sound like an band idiot...i just need some guidance...

You have to chew like crazy, count 30 chews for each bite of meat. Don't swallow until it has become a paste in your mouth.

Take one bite, chew it to a paste, wait a few minutes and do it again. Not all meats work for everyone, try some extra moist roasted chicken or tuna salad with lots of mayo.< /p>

Eat so slowly you think you'll explode in sheer frustration. You get used to it and as you learn to deal with your band it will go faster. If you are chewing to a paste it shouldn't be any different from nachos in how it goes down. If you take a nacho and put it in Water it turns into liquid or a paste, same as the meat you chew.

You have to make the good food choices, nobody can do that for you. Instead of nachos try veggie chips and NOT from Walmart, those are just colored potato chips but REAL veggie chips (look up J&D Fine Foods on line). Instead of pizza have some roasted chicken.< /p>

You can do this.

kiki-w--

I agree with all of the other ladies. Eat lean Protein first and be sure you aren't drinking liquids with your meals. Avoid all junk food--keep it out of the house to avoid temptation. Pack your lunch for work if possible, too. If you need any other suggestions, PM me and I'd be glad to help!

Try to set some mini-goals for yourself--so you have something to focus on to keep you determined. You could set a short-term weight loss goal or put a piece of clothing that's a bit tight in view so you can try it on every now and then to see how your weight loss is going.

Remember that the band is just a tool--we still have to have the raw guts and determination to do the hard work if we want to succeed! You can do this! :(