Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Notes from LapBandLand, Day IV Post-Op

Cast Away at the Clinic

Today I hit the streets for the first times since becoming a lapbander, traveling by bus to my local clinic for a post op appointment with my GP. Winters are mild by us (it was 68 and sunny this morning when I left the house) , but the wind comming up the valley can pack a punch. Nevertheless, I wore shorts and a thin sport shirt because this was my first chance to weigh in since the operation. Nice reception at the clinic both from the nurses and the scale: down to 124 Kilo from 130 pre-op. My appointment was delayed by a steady succession of snively young children in and out of the doctor's office; but when he saw me half an hour later, he was pleased, and set me an appointment to have my staples pulled on Tuesday. Back at the medical secretary's desk, I got the latest installment of one of the more amusing side-stories of my lapbanding. My insurance carrier was supposed to, upon approving the procedure, order and procure the lapband and ship it to my clinic, where I was supposed to sign for it and hand deliver it to the hospital. I had to sign a promissory note swearing to have the operation within a year and to pay for then lapband if it wasn't used for it's attended purpose (which begs the question: exactly what else can you use a lap-band for?). Since they only approved the surgery two days before the operation, the band did not arrive in time. "No biggie", said the good folk at my friendly little climic, "just go, ask to use one of theirs and tell them you'll give them yours". "Indeed a biggie", said the hospital people when I showed up bandless. In the end: another promissory note and some dramatics on my part solved everything. Now the band is on its way to my clinic; when it gets here I'll have it messengered up to the hospital. I bet I'm the only person whose ever been banded while their band is still in the mail!

Anyway, because of the delay in my appointment, I missed the bus back and was stranded on the highway, shivering in the wind for 40 minutes until DW pulled up to rescue me. I must've looked pretty miserable, because when I woke up from my nap, there was a full pot of her homeade chicken Soup on the stove, and let me tell you, folks - they don't call it Jewish penicillin for nothin'!

Sick with Worry?

My three and seven year old boys are obviously so happy to have me at home that they have vowed not to let me out of their sights. My little guy came down with strep throat the night I came back from the hospital, and today "lucky number seven" tossed his Cookies at school and had to be airlifted home. sleep is somewhat irregular and I've had a headache or two, but besides that, we're good here - manageable pain, liquids going down OK (broth, oj, clear chicken soup, herbal tea, Decaf coffee and H20).

"Feelings, nothing more than feelings..."

Today was the first day since the operation in which I experienced feelings which would've driven me to binge. Getting stuck out on the road and having two kids at home when I wanted to be relaxing at home by myself - that would 've caused me to beat a quick path to the refrigerator, for sure. I know that the lapband is not a magic pill and that I have to let it help me by not abusing food, which got me to where I was. I was struck by a quote I read here a few days ago: "I believe there are some people who are always destined to become obese, due to their personalities... you can see that people have allowed their obesity to occur because of the way they view things, life and their own behaviour." I believe this, and I know I have to be aware of my character flaws and act differently if I don't want to keep on doing the same things I've always done. What stands out today? Self pity. Sh-t happens, kids get sick, I signed on for all of this and more when I joyfully chose to become a parent, and , as DW said today, "we all share our lives with other people - what are you going to do?". That's all for now - good luck, everybody!

- Bandpal

130/124/68

I'd say we're all having an adventure but yours is certainly more interesting than mine! I'm glad things are working out so well for you. Thanks for the update!

It's amazing how much easier it is to break old habits when our bodies are cooperating. It's only when I smell food that I've found myself tempted to eat something but since I'm still not hungry, I can easily resist. If it is time for me to eat, I'm satisfied with my own meal, whatever it is. I eat until it feels like enough and when I'm done, I'm not interested in more. It really feels like magic!

I assume I'm going to wake up one of these days and find my hunger has returned but I'm glad to have this time to get a preview of what I hope things will be like in the future.

Wow what an adventure, I can't imagine having to hand carry my band to a hospital here....:( Glad everything is working out for you and you sound like you are recovering nicely.

Two weeks out for me and I feel 100% better than I did 4 days ago. I believe that was the turning point for me. Most all of my pain is gone now. Only the occasional twinge here and there.

I have no hunger issues, although I have had moments when I wanted to eat something for other reasons. This is what I must fight. I realize now why I am overweight, it was the emotional hunger that had me eating not the real hunger our body experiences.

I think this will be a success and I am thrilled with my new found friend. I hope things continue to go smoothly for you.

Congratulations!!

I can relate to the way things can go wrong. It is my life story, sometimes. I'm proud of you for not giving in to temptation. I hope that when I get banded, it will help me to also not give in to those temptations. I also cannot imagine having to take my band to the hospital with me! One more little thing to be thankful for!

I had to LOL at the story about the band and you having to hand-deliver it yourself. Good heavens. I'm glad the hospital decided to cooperate. Sounds like an adventure altogether!

I, too, find it easier to resist temptation. Isn't the band great?