Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beauty is only skin deep

It's what's inside that counts. Well this is my band and stomach taken by my surgeon Mr Toh at 2.45pm on the 24th November.

Finished work at 07.30 on 24th Nov, admitted to hospital at 08.30am. Had a long wait untill 2pm to go down for surgery. Back on ward at 3.30. Talking to family on phone at 4pm. Up and walking about at 5.30. Only mild discomfort, shoulder pain from the gas but walking about and my partner patting my back allevited most of the pain in shoulder.

Had comfortable night but did not sleep a wink, not because of pain or anything just could not sleep.

Sloppy porridge for Breakfast, which tasted good after 5 litres of Water and two cups of coffee since surgery.

Discharged at 1pm. should have been 10am but surgeon delayed. Home for 1.30 and still trying to let it sink in that i have had a lap band fitted.

Believe it or not i am enjoying a very well deserved glass of red wine.

Hugs Lisa

Congrats on your surgery. Do you have a post op diet?? Not sure you should be having wine. Be careful. Donna

No post op diet, as my surgeon will not do a fill for the first two weeks so that his patients can eat normally to aid recovery and allow sweelling to go down from the operation.

I was banded on the 20th......... Go back to work tomorrow and I'm feeling great. Good Luck to you.

Thanks Gail

I am back to work on tuesday, good luck !!

No post op diet, as my surgeon will not do a fill for the first two weeks so that his patients can eat normally to aid recovery and allow sweelling to go down from the operation.

:faint:This boggles the mind. I read and re-read and I'm still having a tough time wrapping my brain around it. NOBODY gets a fill within the first two weeks. If their doctor gave them a fill that early, I'd say he/she deserves to be sued for malpractice! I know that some doctors fill earlier than this: but Allergan (maker of Lap Band) recommends not doing any fills before SIX WEEKS. This allows your body time to get used to the band, allows your body to heal inside the stomach and outside, and lets you adjust to new eating guidelines. I'd say eating a regular diet too soon can cause great risk for slippage!

If you don't mind my asking - how many Lap Bands has your surgeon placed? I can't believe your doc didn't set you on a post-op diet. Did you even meet with a nutritionist??

Hi steph

Sorry if my post misled you. i have no fill in my band at the moment, as my surgeon places the band but does not fill it. He has seen that over the hundreds of patients he has fitted that we are all different. He has found that some patients did not need a fill at all for six months as the unfilled band was giving them restriction,where as some felt no restriction at all and need a fill earlier.

At our first fill he also does it under xray to ensure the band is in right position and funtioning properly (barium meal)

I wasn't saying that YOUR surgeon does fills before two weeks. I'm going on the indication that he would do a fill AT two weeks? Yikes. That's what had me worried. Not to mention the no post-op diet. After reading and researching, I'd be scared to death to not have a post-op diet. Even the maker of the Lap Band (Allergan) recommends a post-op diet. I'm just shocked that your doc is being so lax. Do you know how many bands total that your doc has placed? Does he have any stats on his own failure rate?

:faint:This boggles the mind. I read and re-read and I'm still having a tough time wrapping my brain around it. NOBODY gets a fill within the first two weeks. If their doctor gave them a fill that early, I'd say he/she deserves to be sued for malpractice! I know that some doctors fill earlier than this: but Allergan (maker of Lap Band) recommends not doing any fills before SIX WEEKS. This allows your body time to get used to the band, allows your body to heal inside the stomach and outside, and lets you adjust to new eating guidelines. I'd say eating a regular diet too soon can cause great risk for slippage!

If you don't mind my asking - how many Lap Bands has your surgeon placed? I can't believe your doc didn't set you on a post-op diet. Did you even meet with a nutritionist??

My doctor who is listed as an instructor for the Lap Band does the first fill at 3 weeks. As a matter of fact I have heard many people say their doctor's said not to use a straw when drinking fluids. He recommends it. I don't feel he is giving bad information, just different than what other doctor's recommend. Look at the difference in pre-op diets.