Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm fourteen-- am I eligible for the lap band?

First of all, I'm fourteen years old, and I'm obese with a BMI that fluctuates between about 34 and 37. Over the past two years I've been experiencing obesity-related health problems, such as menstrual irregularities, gastroesophageal reflux/heartburn, and sleep apnea.

I read an article online about a twelve year old girl whose mother brought her to Mexico to get the procedure done. I think that's a little insane, and I know realistically that if I couldn't get it done locally or pretty nearby then my parents would never go for it. But I'm very concerned for my health, and I'm getting worse and worse. I have tried everything. I've been struggling with my weight since I was eight years old.

So, here are the questions I have:

1. Would a doctor in Illinois even do the lap band procedure on a fourteen year old if she met the requirements [bMI of 35+ with two or more obesity related health problems, I believe]?

2. Would my insurance likely cover the procedure if I met those requirements, considering my age?

Thanks. :wacko:

Well, never say never. I would say it depends on your medical history and your family medical history (do these co-morbidities run in your family and are your parents or siblings also overweight?). I am inclined on the surface (strictly my opinion, mind you) to think that a doctor would be reticent to do the procedure on you (right NOW) and might ask you to wait a few years. I think a lot of this would rely on the attitude of your parents too....whether they were supportive and acknowledged that this would be an ongoing problem for you based on your history and your family pre-disposition. Insurance? Who knows. A lot of us "old folks" couldn't get covered by insurance and had to self-pay. Insurance coverage is a battle at best. Good luck though!

Well, never say never. I would say it depends on your medical history and your family medical history (do these co-morbidities run in your family and are your parents or siblings also overweight?). I am inclined on the surface (strictly my opinion, mind you) to think that a doctor would be reticent to do the procedure on you (right NOW) and might ask you to wait a few years. I think a lot of this would rely on the attitude of your parents too....whether they were supportive and acknowledged that this would be an ongoing problem for you based on your history and your family pre-disposition. Insurance? Who knows. A lot of us "old folks" couldn't get covered by insurance and had to self-pay. Insurance coverage is a battle at best. Good luck though!

Yes, obesity does run in my family. Both of my parents and their siblings/parents are obese (though somehow my sister seems to have completely dodged that trait, I swear she's adopted or something!). As a matter of fact, two of my aunts have gotten the Lap Band, and my uncle is scheduling to get it done sometime soon. I'm not sure if my parents would be supportive of me or not, though I'm sure if they agreed to it at all they would be very supportive. Meaning, they wouldn't agree to let me have it done then not be supportive of it. I might speak to my mom about it tonight, or at least just about seeing my family doctor specifically about my weight (not just a regular check-up).

There is a person that posts here that had a band but I don't recall how old she was when she was banded, 16? She's from Canada.

I know of another that was 14-16??? She got hers in Mexico.

I honestly don't know if the US docs would band you or not.

How much have you researched banding? There is sooooo much information you need to know. There is a huge amount to learn. It takes months of reading, asking questions, participating in discussions, etc. before you can even begin to know if banding is for you. More so at your age as there isn't a huge amount of clinical data out there.

What do your parents think? Are they supportive of this? As for insurance, it totally depends on the policy. If your parents get their insurance through an employer the employer has to actually purchase a WLS part of the policy. It's extra money so many employers don't do it as it can get expensive. It's one of those things that you really can't depend on the insurance company to tell you. Many people when calling their insurance carrier were told that this was not a covered procedure but upon reading the actual policy it turns out it is covered.

I would start off with researching this a great deal. Then talk to your parents, see how they feel. Then call your insurance company and see if it is covered. If they say it is not then ask them where you would find the exclusion in your insurance policy. Then research the policy and verify for yourself that it is not covered. If they claim it is covered then ask where you will find that in your policy and verify that too.

That's a start.

Good luck to you!

alright hun, im 17, i was banded when i was 16, and yes, you can be banded.

i live in michigan but i was banded in ill. chicago to be exact. its called New Hope. this is the address

University of Illinois Medical Center:New Hope

the webpage doesnt say much, but talk to amy, (shes my nurse, and i love her) if you have myspace...

MySpace.com - Amy - 41 - Female - Western 'Burbs of Chicago, Illinois - www.myspace.com/amyphipps

and if you want, you can look me up, i am totally open to all questions.

MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/18308404

It really depends on the surgeon... Just do a lot of research and make sure your parents are on the same level with you... it will make things a lot easier for you.

Good luck and feel free to p-mail me anythi8me if you have any question..

Also try looking up DayOne Health and see there policies.