Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting News

I live in a pretty large border town called El Paso, TX. We are sister cities with Juarez, Chic. MX.

I was banded by a Dr. Applebaum, here in El Paso, hes wonderful. (yay insurance!)

However, I was reading a news story about a new hospital opening in Juarez just for Lapband procedures. They are charging 7500 bucks for the surgery and a year of aftercare including fills, ect., and apparently, they have very experienced doctors. I do not have their names yet. They are scheduled for 30 surgeries this month, and 100 in January.

I was really suprized to hear this, and alot of my friends who dont have insurance are buzzing.

Has anyone heard any news on this? Apparently, there are patients traveling from New England and all over the country to have their surgeries.

-Angelica

Here's the story: El Paso Times - Americans elect to have surgery at Juárez hospital

It's not just for bariatric surgery but that will be the biggest kind of surgery they do, according to the article.

Medical tourism' thrives

<!--title-->Americans elect to have surgery at Juárez hospital

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Louie Gilot / El Paso Times

<!--date-->Article Launched: 11/23/2007 12:00:00 AM MST

<script language="JavaScript"> var requestedWidth = 0; </script> <script language="JavaScript"> if(requestedWidth < 300){ requestedWidth = 300; } </script>20071122__1123-C10-JzHospital%7E1_300.jpgRenee Brewster, right, accompanied daughter Sloane Brewster on a walk around the Hospital Angeles in Juárez. They traveled from Alabama so Sloane could have bariatric surgery. The walking is part of the rehabilitation. (Victor Calzada / El Paso Times)

<script language="JavaScript"> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </script> JUAREZ -- As medical costs skyrocket in the United States, one new private hospital in Juárez is stepping in.

Hospital Angeles looks more like a luxury hotel than a hospital, with a spacious lobby, marble countertops and custom art on the walls.

"That's the concept. It can't look like a hospital. It can't smell like a hospital, so it doesn't turn off people," said Carlos Martinez Loranca, general director.

It's also clearly designed to appeal to American patients: Signs are in English and Spanish, employees speak English, and doctors offer services popular in the United States, such as bariatric surgery for obesity.

Martinez said half the hospital's patients will be Americans, so-called medical tourists seeking affordable health care.

20071122__1123-C10-JzHospital%7E3_200.jpgRosalva Castrol cares for patient Ramon Dominguez, 5, at Hospital Angeles, which opened with little fanfare two weeks ago.

Wonder what they do if they have problems...after returning home? Seems to risky to me...despite the cost.

Many people on this board have been banded in Mexico. I believe they generally line up local after-care in advance.

Mexico doctors have been doing banding for many years.....long before US FDA approved it here. They are among the most skilled in the world at it, and they know how to cater to the American market......great hospitals like hotels, clean, luxurious. I don't know about the Juarez ones specifically, but thousands of US people have gone to MX and been very happy.

It is important, however, to make arrangements near your home with a doctor who is willing to do fills for another doctor.....don't do it unless you have a nearby fill doctor who is willing to work with you.

Wonder what they do if they have problems...after returning home?

Seems to risky to me...despite the cost.

The care in Mexico is often times more superior than the care in the US.

In the US most docs send you home when you wake up from banding. In Mexico they keep you for one to two nights in the hospital. And this is for half the cost most times. Even the cheapest doc in the US is still about $2K more than the average Mexican surgeon and the Mexican surgeons have far more experience than most US docs.

After care is important, that needs to be lined up before surgery. There are two docs within 10 miles of my house that I could go to in a pinch but I prefer to go back to Mexico for aftercare, it's a three hour drive. If you look around the boards MANY people who had surgery in the US still have to drive 3 hours to see their surgeon.

Six of one, half dozen of another.