Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing beliefs to fit behaviors

And Alexandra, it's not a matter of what LBT folks think is standard, what about Inamed? What about the other band manufacturers? They are the ones that came up with these post op instructions due to years of research, trial, and error. I don't believe you are suggesting that everyone disregard what the band manufacturers have to say, are you? If that makes us high and mighty I'll risk falling off my horse.

What about other band manufacturers? Do we know what all every band maker is recommending around the world? Do we know if new bands have different postop protocols? Hell, I'm not making any attempt to keep up with the literature on this issue, and I'm certainly not recommending that everyone disregard any information. But for medical advice I put my trust in my doctor, and assume other people do the same.

Wasa, with regard to quoting you above I wasn't intending to chastise. I wasn't saying anyone had done what I was trying to prevent (get high and mighty), I was just pointing out the potential for it happening on the other thread and hoping to head it off. Sorry it didn't come across that way.

What about other band manufacturers? Do we know what all every band maker is recommending around the world? Do we know if new bands have different postop protocols? Hell, I'm not making any attempt to keep up with the literature on this issue, and I'm certainly not recommending that everyone disregard any information. But for medical advice I put my trust in my doctor, and assume other people do the same.

Wasa, with regard to quoting you above I wasn't intending to chastise. I wasn't saying anyone had done what I was trying to prevent (get high and mighty), I was just pointing out the potential for it happening on the other thread and hoping to head it off. Sorry it didn't come across that way.

Okay, I admit I'm anal retentive and I used to check up on other band manufacturers post op diets! HA! Research and post op diets are my big thing in the bariatric community. At one point I was comparing the diets to the stats but I quit doing it when I realized that many band makers are justifying their band over another and their stats are not always accurate. But for the time being, it's the best we have in the areas of studies and such.

As I wrote, I didn't even respond to that post. Tact isn't my area of expertise and the only thing I had to offer was something against what her doc was suggesting so I didn't respond for that very reason. But it DOES make me feel like my head is popping when I read something like that. I want the whole freak'en world to experience "thin" again without slips, erosion, or other complications. So while I try to tone down that feeling a bit, it still comes out. That's why I didn't respond to the post.

I just wanted to say that the doctor in question is in the UK. I could have sworn they spoke english there...what language barrier?

I completely agree, but it goes beyond "what the doctor orders". What I don't understand is people who don't use this as a catalyst for change! Whenever I went on a new "diet" before, I sort of needed something to jolt me into change. I might pick up the latest diet book or join a gym or WW. This time I paid $14,000 and went under the surgical knife. There ain't no bigger "jolt" than that one, and I sure wasn't going to waste it.

And the simple fact is that success breeds success. Those who jump into this with motivation to change *immediately* are the ones who are more likely to achieve their goals. The ones who wait for restriction to do it for them are the ones who struggle.

Tami

WasaBubblebutt, you are so right girl. I really am surprised how much the doc reccomendations warry in US from here in Europe. I was on Clear Liquids for 1week then 2 weeks on liquids and 2 weeks on mushies.I have read so many posts about how their doc told them they can eat mushies in a week and I was wondering. I dont know about the ratio of slippage here in Europe but when I asked my doc about the different diets he told me (no offense) that in the US they want to make it seem easy and with no problems or restrictions (something like magic cure to obesity).

But if they really present it that way there must be a lot of dissapointed people!It might be cause you guys have to pay for it and the docs want to make money....

WasaBubblebutt, you are so right girl. I really am surprised how much the doc reccomendations warry in US from here in Europe. I was on clear liquids for 1week then 2 weeks on liquids and 2 weeks on mushies.I have read so many posts about how their doc told them they can eat mushies in a week and I was wondering. I dont know about the ratio of slippage here in Europe but when I asked my doc about the different diets he told me (no offense) that in the US they want to make it seem easy and with no problems or restrictions (something like magic cure to obesity).

But if they really present it that way there must be a lot of dissapointed people!It might be cause you guys have to pay for it and the docs want to make money....

I want to disagree with you but I can't. I hadn't thought about it in those terms but what you write makes sense.

I had surgery in Mexico and my post op diet was two weeks of clears, two weeks of full liquids, two weeks of soft foods, then gradually reintroduce solids.

I was talking to a friend yesterday on the phone and we were talking about the TV ads for banding put on by Inamed. They are on every single night. They pay for the ads and the individual docs are promoted. We both agreed that to watch those commercials it makes it look like a piece of cake. It does not even touch on the head stuff, wanting huge quantities of food, etc. It makes it seem soooo easy! I think people who don't know better than what the band manufacturer is telling them are in for a rude awakening when they actually get a band.

Maybe this is part of the reason stats for slips are increasing. People aren't prepared? Post op diets that are inadequate? People think they will only WANT a small portion of food?

Regardless, it's deceptive on the part of Inamed when the show those commercials.

It's really hard not to say something when someone is complaining about their post op diet. There was a post where the person said her doctor was just plain mean to make her stay on liquids.

At support group, I was told that the band manufacturers are going to stop selling bands to certain doctors.

I think there is a difference between those of us who had to come up with the money and people who had their insurance pay.

Personally, I think the band is such a gift to the world that I would not do anything intentional to mess it up. I can't even believe that I am at a weight that I haven't been for

25 years. I worry all the time that something is going to go wrong

and the band will be taken from me.

This is a very good subject/thread WasA! If newbies come in here

and think we are just being judgemental because they don't want to follow a post op diet, there really is nothing we can do. If they read carefully, they will know that it's only because we don't want people to lose their bands.

Did you read the post from the guy that is on CLEAR liquids, his doc doesn't even consider Jello appropriate for the clear phase and he wanted to know what we thought of Cheeto? After all, they melt in your mouth.

I responded by asking HIM what HE thought if his doc didn't want him to have Jello, what did HE think the doc would say about Cheetos? He actually claimed not to know.

It made me want to suggest that broth is bad for newbies and taffy and steak are yet again, good options.

It's just another example of someone changing beliefs to fit behaviors. I have to keep reminding myself that if someone wants goal bad enough, they'll do what it takes.

I think there is a difference between those of us who had to come up with the money and people who had their insurance pay.

I don't know that I completely agree with this. I think it really depends on the individual's personal discipline level and how much they want to lose weight. Sure we ALL want to lose weight, but there is a point that some, not all, reach where they will do anything to reach their goal (regardless of whether or not they are self pay).

If your above statement is true, does that mean that because my insurance company (the same insurance company that my husband and I pay hefty premiums to each week) paid for my surgery, I won't be as successful as someone who had to take out a loan to pay for their banding? My sore ass and hunger-panged stomach do not think so.

Along the same lines, does a person who has to pay for college do better in their studies than someone who has their parents pay for it? I can attest first hand to the contrary. The first time I attempted school, I had to take out loans and I did so poorly! I really didn't care that I had to borrow against my future to pay for something that I was simply giving a half-assed attempt at. Sure, I wanted to get good grades, but I didn't want to work for them. The second attempt, I still had to take out loans, but the difference was this time I wanted to do well and get the best education that I could, and I was willing to do everything possible to make sure that happened.

As was the case with my education, WLS boils down to one thing: maturity. That is something that comes from personal experience and can't necessarily be taught. You should be commended for trying to save people from themselves, but I just don't think you can. Not because I don't believe that you are a capable and persuasive person, but because that is something that people need to learn for themselves. Like teenagers, they must learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately it's an expensive mistake to have to learn from, not only monetarily, but also health wise.

At support group, I was told that the band manufacturers are going to stop selling bands to certain doctors.

like Trixie, i have to disagree with this as well. i am fortunate enough to have UHC and they covered all but $1400 (deductible) of my surgery and fills only cost me $30.

i think it does boil down to maturity and truly how bad they want it.

It made me want to suggest that broth is bad for newbies and taffy and steak are yet again, good options.

**drooolll** mmmmmm ... steak.... i am going in for a fill Monday, can i have steak after that??

like Trixie, i have to disagree with this as well. i am fortunate enough to have UHC and they covered all but $1400 (deductible) of my surgery and fills only cost me $30.

i think it does boil down to maturity and truly how bad they want it.

**drooolll** mmmmmm ... steak.... i am going in for a fill Monday, can i have steak after that??

I think in general self pays do a bit better. Not always, and there certainly are plenty of us insurance people doing well, but in general.

I say this because most of the people willing to shell out $15000 of their own money are ready for the change and have the maturity to handle it. Whereas, insurance will approve those who meet the criteria even if they are not mentally ready. So yes, it does ultimately booil down to maturity and readiness.

Absolutely! Matter of fact I highly suggest you do this. Be sure to cook it to a verrrry well done first and no A-1 Sauce either.

I think in general self pays do a bit better. Not always, and there certainly are plenty of us insurance people doing well, but in general.

I say this because most of the people willing to shell out $15000 of their own money are ready for the change and have the maturity to handle it. Whereas, insurance will approve those who meet the criteria even if they are not mentally ready. So yes, it does ultimately booil down to maturity and readiness.

I kinda sorta have to agree.

What about people so desperate they will go to a 3rd world country if that is all they can afford? Happens to be that many surgeons are even more experienced in banding there but the stigma associated with it is difficult.

Ever see those people that throw a fit because WLS isn't in their insurance policy and they'll be darned if they are going to use their own money for their own health care. Are those people really serious about life saving surgery?

When you see the extremes on both sides, you just can't help but to notice.

I am new to this forum, but I have to totally agree that people are driving me crazy with their inability to stick with the post op diet for the required time AND even more frustrated that they refuse to take any advice even if it means potentially saving their lives. My doc only made me do 2 weeks of full liquids and 2 weeks of mushies before our first fill and real food. However, I was scared to death that I was going to mess everything up so I essentially stayed on liquids for the full 4 weeks. I was so afraid that I would cause it to slip that even now after having fills it takes me a while to go back to solids.

Tami- I have never heard it put any better

And the simple fact is that success breeds success. Those who jump into this with motivation to change *immediately* are the ones who are more likely to achieve their goals. The ones who wait for restriction to do it for them are the ones who struggle.

This is why I have been so successful. I didn't care if I had a fill or not, I follow the bandster rules all the time. I forgot to chew a while back, ended up with something lodged and had to have a complete unfill. My doc told me that I would gain weight during this time, but I told him that I would prove him wrong. And despite the fact that it was difficult I managed to lose 10 pounds during those 42 LONG days. How did I do it? I pretended like I was filled as tight as I could be. This IS about a lifestyle change and the band IS A TOOL! Thank you for this thread, because I really hope that people researching will look here and realize that this is a lot harder than what people think. Hopefully those that feel like they can't get through one more day of a post-op will come here and realize that the end result is so much better than a steak.

Nice post Karri! More of the newer bandsters should be thinking like you!