Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK-- so how are you dealing with...

...the potential for WLS complications (e.g. slippage and erosion)?

I must admit, as the time draws near, the stories of problems I read are rather unnerving. As a self-pay, I'm on the hook for WLS and any "fixes" that need to be done.

Has this crossed your mind? Have you talked to your doctors about it? I know the chances are remote, particularly compared to the chance of serious problems related to my morbid obesity, but I'd like to hear what everyone else is thinking about it.

Same for any long-term bandsters out there who might be reading this. How did you resolve any concerns you might have had?

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!:hungry:

If your doctor has a very low rate of complications, and you follow the rules, you won't have problems.

It's people who are filled too tight, and throw up constantly that run into problems. Some people thing being too tight helps them lose weight faster, but they are taking a big risk for complications.

Thanks Denise822- that makes sense. have you heard any stats on "average" rates of complications these days? I understand they continue to decrease as techniques, bands, etc. improve and as surgeons gain more experience. Jim

I am a self pay also jim and i also had a revision done. I still dont regret having the surgery because i too believe that morbid obesity was more of a problem then what i face now. However please inform yourself well before having the surgery. as a self pay patient very often (as in myself) we dont have proper counceling and we learn on our own how to do this band thing. One thing i can say is that its not made to choke you off and you lose the weight by bringing up your food. my sister and i were both self pay and had no real direction . they told us what to eat on week 1 ..week 2.......but no real direction on what to face later. This band can be wonderful but y ou can develope real bad habits and kinda like them cause you are losing weight. then you become at risk. even though i had to have a second surgery , i know its probably things i was doing wrong. i really hope i have the will power to be more concerned with my health and the health of my band then with rapid weight this time.

Thanks rebandit. That's good advice. How did the cost of the revision cost compared to original banding?

Also-- just to be sure I understand, are you saying you had a slip because the band was too tight, and then you didn't eat properly because you weren't aware of how to properly take care of the pouch?

Thanks very much-- I really want to learn from those who have been through it!

Jim

I don't really know what the stats are that you are asking for.

It really goes by the doctor, not by banding itself. Doctors can put a band on that's actually too small to begin with, or not place it right. These things cause problems.

Being too tight and and throwing up is one of the main things that cause problems. I was too tight for one weekend. I got a fill on a fri and went in Mon to have some taken out. It was horrible.

There are people who can barely get Water to stay down, and don't go and get some taken out because they are losing weight.

That's just asking for trouble.

well first cost---the cost of my original was $16,000 the cost of the surgery was more like $25,000 because well I was ill also and I had a hospital stay in one hospital then they shipped me to the band dr. Im still not sure all what its going to cost me but the first hospital was right at $6,000 but that part was just to get me some potassium and rehydrate me. then I got my anesthesia bill at $1760 then the dr bill came in for the new hospital $15,500 but I still havent recieved the actuall hospital bill for the second hospital. so far we are about $22,700 and im waiting for a few thousand for the new hospital. now my dr. says that although my insurance didnt pay for the first band that it might pay for the revision because i was an emergency patient.

now on to the other question, yes im saying I was choked off and i knew it. i was losing much weight fast and i was liking it but i didnt know that it wasnt safe to keep throwing up. it doesnt feel like th rowing up. it more feels like bending over and opening your mouth and food just comes back just like it went in. smooothly. i thought who needs it. till band eroded and my stomach looks like crap now. but this all sounds negative. truth is all i could think of was please dont leave me without this band cause i knew id gain it back. and with this new band imnot restricted yet and i have gained 35 lbs. so there we go, id gain the whole 150 bank without it. just know all the things you need to know before presuming that you are ok.