Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking to start a website

Hi there after spending the last 4 days on this site reading every single thing that I can I've decided to take my professional web design skills and make a lap-band resource information website.

I originally was thinking for my area most of all. (live in Reno, NV) but I've found SO much useful information here mostly by people who have had the surgery already that it seems silly not to make a site useful to anyone, anywhere.

I'll tell you my background. I've spent the last 2 years researching WLS. Up until 2 months ago I had no idea what the lap-band could do for me, or anyone really. I had this view of it being for someone who needed to loose less than 100 pounds or so. There is SOOOO much crap online about the surgery and most of it makes people like me not want it. I really want to take my time and make something useful for everyone who was in my shoes and really had no where to turn too that gave *real* information. Mosts sites are done by the surgeons and people trying to get your money.

So basically what I want to do is make a research site mainly for lap band patients considering the surgery or pre op.. not necessarily those post op (which wouldnt be hard to include tho) but for those who want as much information before hand as they can find.

I'm not gonna go stealing anyones stuff of course and I really want to utilize all these great sites listed by linking them and keeping them up to date. But I also want to have a lot of info from people who have done the surgery, who have been in well... my shoes.

This surgery is amazing, imo much better than stapling now that I've found accurate research so I'm just curious if anyone wants to help me out. I can't really make a great site until I've been there but I think if I really start now that by the time (i should have surgery in less than 2 months) I get there I don't forget all the things I wondered about when I was considering the surgery.

anyways I'd like to get some feedback. This site is amazing (obviously would be a #1 link) but I'd like to make a nice professional looking site that gives resources and information that *isnt* paid for by a surgeons office trying to convince people to do the surgery. I want to include a ton of things but I'm open to ideas and definately open to some help getting things in order.. and well the whole thing really.

what do you guys think? If I did this.. what ideas do you have? you can email me at katie@griffonco.com or we can just chat here.. your choice!

WooHOOOOOOO!! I think it's awesome. Everything I need I can find somewhere in the threads here, but my poor family has been neglected (yes, I will admit it, too much Barney and Sesame Street this past week, and the laundry is piling) because I am sucked into my computer looking for info, getting distracted, having a ball, making friends, all the great stuff about LBT, it would be nice to have a comprehensive non-paid resource with all the links. I am NOT a computer geek but I'm a pretty good communicator, speller, editor type and I am currently researching myself so I could give you my perspective, if it helps. Yay! You are cool.

definately..i find before/after pics a HUGE help for me when I get discouraged about always hearing how with the band you don't loose much weight.. its amazing how many people think that

this is kinda what i've come up with so far.. any suggestions? even name suggestions would be great... i've kinda explain what each section will be.

The Choice

About Gastric Banding - general info

Risks & Rewards -

Making a Choice - really about the emotional part of making the decision but also the good parts about being healthy etc. and of course the bad parts just an overall review of everything

Costs & Insurance - general info.. help for insurance stuff (like i wish I wouldve known kinda what to write in my letter to get approved, or stuff like that)

Journey Ahead

Preparing for Surgery (the weeks up to, days hours etc. what to buy stuff like that)

Recovering (helpful hints and suggestions from those who have been there to a speedy recovery)

Diet & Nutrition (outline of nutrition and diet.. i may be able to get my hubby to create a database for recipes and stuff also would like to briefly include the stages this wouldve been good to have before I had gone to my consult so i knew what to expect food wise.)

Emotionial Journey I really think its important to provide info about this.. ive read so much about peoples emotional state.. and ive had 3 of the doctors ive seen tell me how important it is to research what this surgery will do to me and my family emotionally and what i can do to help the process.

Physical Changes - you hear so much about the gastric bypass and hair loss, skin sagging, even weight loss things like this.. id like to touch more on specifically the lap band. eventually id like to get an online survey that will database everyone who goes to the site, so that it will show basically what percentage of each has what etc.

Adjustments & Fills - what to expect, normal costs, how often granted everyone is different.. so general information which is beter than no info (surgeons sites often dont mention much about this)

Before & Afters - to include this section I'd need lots of support from those who've had the surgery. I'll probably make an online form so that they can be submitted and hosted directly on the site itself.

Success Stories - I'm not sure about this.. I really want something short and sweet not a 10 page book that most people dont have time to read. maybe short paragraphs of answering certain questions like.. how has this surgery changed your life... and would you do this surgery again. type thing.. seperate and put a limit on how much people can answer so that those who are researching really can find the info they are looking for vs all of it at once.

Support & Resources

Message Board - this mostly will be about the website itself I think most of all I'll refer directly to this site.

Local Resources - not sure exactly about this but it seems good to include somehow

Online Support Groups theres a ton of them.. here, yahoo etc. I'd like to have a good list thats kept up to date.

Internet Resources - website links

Lap-Band Media - articles, tv, etc. about lapband

i tried to think of all the things I'd want to find at this type of site.. im sure i missed somethings and maybe some of the things i have isnt a good idea.. any suggestions?

The possibilities are endless. I'd like to get more men involved. There is a much smaller rate of banded men.

There should be a snake Charm alley too for the BS weight loss schemes gripping the media. Bottom feeders. Shine the lite with hard research if there is any or opinion. Experience is valuable and needs to be shared with the public!! I'd be happy to help any way I can!

I would be interested in helping on this project. I am newly banded (Jan 3, 2005) but wouldn't mind sharing what experiences I've had so far.

the more I get with the site I will be looking for more help. i've started the design and am setting up the general layout of the pages so that its all set to go to add info.

my husband and I spoke tonight and he plans to make a database where those who have been banded can take a survey and that information will be shown in charts and easy to follow info.

an example would be

After one week how much did you loose (week2,3,4,5,6, etc)

the results would show a graph or chart representing how much average weight loss per week.

another example

when did you move onto solid foods week 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.

coming up with these questions are gonna be the hardest for me since there is no real place to find such info. any suggestions would be great. once i get it into motion i will of course need a lot of people willing to take the survey and share the experience.

on the survey would also be questions..

like this.. but each question would have max # of chars so that they were short answers

explain what this surgery has done for you and your life

would you recommend this surgery to a friend, if so why?

whats one thing you wish you would have know but didnt?

etc....

anyone who wants to help me come up with things to include on a survey would be much appreciated.. you can email me katie@Griffonco.com or post it.. either way =)

basically for the survey i've made these sections:

General Information

About You

Conditions

About Insurance/Costs

About the Surgery

Complications

Aftercare

food

Family & Friends -since surgery

Emotions

I am trying to think of *everything* that can be answered in multiple choice questions. (up to say 50 choices) I want to include ANYTHING that could be valuable for one or all of the people looking at the results.

im a multi-poster I know haha

OK.. so I've been going over everything and I have figured out what we need for the "team" to work get the site completed.. or well started enough to get it out there.

I need people, or groups of people who can do the following:

I have these sections on the site and I basically need 2-3 people for each section at least to help me compile information and make sure its right. The site design is complete, and the domain is registered I'll be throwing up a message board for the team to work together on it so now I just need the team!

Informed Decision- (About Gastric Banding, Costs & Insurance, Risks & Rewards, The Decision)

Will need people to help with research, gathering information etc.

Journey Ahead- (Starting the Process, Preparing for Surgery, Thoughts and Feelings)

Will need people to help with research, gathering information etc.

Life After Surgery- (Road to Recovery, Diet & Nutrition, Physical Changes,

Adjustments & Fills)

Lap Band Inspirations- (Survey Says, Success Stories, Before & After,

Will need people to help with research, gathering pictures, choosing which stories to put in etc.

Support & Resources- (Local Resources, Online Support Groups, Internet Resources, Lap-Band Media)

This is the BIGGEST part of the site I need help with. I really need people to help me find links and short descriptions of everything above and help find links to lap band in the media.

Basically we will have a message board for the "team" or admin of the site. If you help us you'll be an admin the entire life of the website if you'd choose to be. This site has great potential but I cant do it alone.. and honestly I dont want too. I'd love to have other opinions and help throughout this process.

If you think you can add anything to any of the sections above.. or have any suggestions email me. I'll send you the message board link and once you sign up I can give you access and we can go from there.

also... I plan to have this site done in less than 2 weeks hopefully. My biggest problem is having to handle everything and seeking out those who have posted and ask them permission to use things. This would be a huge help if we could get a couple people to assist with that also.