Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cost of Fills

I didn't have the surgery done but I know someone that did. I'm wondering about fills and when you have to pay for them. Do you have to pay for every fill and defill? I see this person that I love paying so much money after getting sugery on fills and adjustments. It just doesn't seem right to me.

If you get a fill and it doesn't seem to have any effect and you tell the doctor and they schedule you for another fill do you pay twice? It seems like they didn't do it right the first time to me. Maybe I don't understand. I'm trying to be supportive but it's hard to see her take this financial hit at the same time.

Also, if you get a fill and it's too tight do you have to pay for the defill too?

Fnially, I read about someone losing their fill completely over time which required them to get filled again. Would you think this person should have to pay for the refill? To me this seems like something that shouldn't happen and fixing it should not have a charge assocaited with it.

Any comments you can provide to help me understand this are appreciated. Thanks.

I didn't have the surgery done but I know someone that did. I'm wondering about fills and when you have to pay for them. Do you have to pay for every fill and defill? I see this person that I love paying so much money after getting sugery on fills and adjustments. It just doesn't seem right to me.

If you get a fill and it doesn't seem to have any effect and you tell the doctor and they schedule you for another fill do you pay twice? It seems like they didn't do it right the first time to me. Maybe I don't understand. I'm trying to be supportive but it's hard to see her take this financial hit at the same time.

Also, if you get a fill and it's too tight do you have to pay for the defill too?

Fnially, I read about someone losing their fill completely over time which required them to get filled again. Would you think this person should have to pay for the refill? To me this seems like something that shouldn't happen and fixing it should not have a charge assocaited with it.

Any comments you can provide to help me understand this are appreciated. Thanks.

I didn't have the surgery done but I know someone that did. I'm wondering about fills and when you have to pay for them. Do you have to pay for every fill and defill?

That depends on the surgeon's policies and the insurance company. Some surgeons provide lifetime fills at no cost, some provide a limited amount, some charge for every fill and unfill. Some insurance companies pay foir fills, some don't. That's why it's important to ask about this BEFORE having surgery.

I see this person that I love paying so much money after getting sugery on fills and adjustments. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Personally, I believe that lifetime maintainence on my car should be supplied as part of the cost of the car, but it doesn't work that way.

If you get a fill and it doesn't seem to have any effect and you tell the doctor and they schedule you for another fill do you pay twice?

That depends on the surgeon's policy.

It seems like they didn't do it right the first time to me. Maybe I don't understand. I'm trying to be supportive but it's hard to see her take this financial hit at the same time.

That depends on the surgeon's policy.

Fnially, I read about someone losing their fill completely over time which required them to get filled again.

A person who "Loses their fill completely over time" has a leak in the port, tubing or band. The Lap-Band is a sealed system.

Would you think this person should have to pay for the refill? To me this seems like something that shouldn't happen and fixing it should not have a charge assocaited with it.

It doesn't matter what I think, it only matters what the surgeon's policy is, and that is why it is so important to know this in advance.

ok i i just had my lap band done on 11/5/2007 so i need pay for the fill i went in weighng 237 i now weigh 217 mind you they put me on soft foods already and i want to eat tommorow lol

Medical things vary so much. For instance, I saved money as a private pay person by going down to Mexico for my surgery. But, now I pay for fills here because I don't have a surgeon locally to do my fills. Often surgeons do the fills for free the first year after the surgery. Mine does, but I don't want to travel each time, it is not cost effective. Supposedly, it is an average of three fills before reaching optimum performance of the band. And because we are using a man made product, not fail safe, there will be things that cause the need for refills, even the replacement of the port, etc... I like the car analogy, so true, so true.:eyebrows:

My wife and I first fill was on 10/15/07 and have another coming up on 11/26/07. The cost of the first fill was as follows

Outpt Charge at Hosp. 900.00 Each insurance paid 80.00 Each Co-pay each nothing

Doctor Charge 500 Each Insurance paid ? Each Co-pay Each Not sure at this point.

Chris

Chris

Wouldn't this be one of those situations where it pays to do your research. I was just banded a week and a half ago but before i had it done i knew that my surgeons gives five fills per calender year for an unlimited number of years, any over that my insurance will cover. I agree the car analogy is the way to look at it.

Well my doctor charges $250 for each fill, but he does allow us to come in any number of times for the one month after the fill for an "adjustment" at no extra charge, so I guess thats reasonable compared to what I have read here. My insurance does not cover these fills.