Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this really right for me?

I'm so scared, confused, concerned. I know I weigh 100 pounds too much. I have seen my doctor three times, had the EKG, the blood work, the consultation. He will be sending all the results to the surgeon for Dec. 27, 2007 appointment along with his recommendation that I be banded. I haven't had any psych test or evaluation yet. I have yo-yo dieted for 25 years. My family has a bad history of diabetes. I have high blood pressure. I am worried about a sudden urge to run to the bathroom with diarrhea while I'm waiting on customers at the counter. I already had that problem with Xenical. I have only told my husband I want to be banded. None of my family knows or would go along with my news. My job doesn't know, I plan on just taking a few weeks off for "minor surgery" and not disclose why. I am afraid of never pigging out again on pizza, or going out to have dinner with my relatives to an "Olive Garden" or "Texas Roadhouse" or "Red Lobster" again. How would I explain a Protein Shake instead of a steak for dinner? And yet, I want to lose weight more than anything. I'm so tired of working out so hard and seeing minimal results. Of all the diets and diet pills and problems with phenfen, xenical and redux. All prescribed by my doctor who has seen me fail at each one. Not to mention all the health problems from Phenfen. I'm a singer. I want to look great again on stage. I haven't looked great for 25 years. I sleep on my right side, can the port be placed on my left side, same side as the stomach? Will being banded effect my singing? Will I be able to still harness my stomach muscles for strength? Am I JUST CRAZY for worrying like this? Does everyone go through such self doubt? I will be 50 in March 2008. Is this just midlife crisis? Any thoughts?

I think it is very scary to think about changing life long habits, such as "pigging out on pizza". But those type of things are what got us to where we are right now. We can't eat what ever we want, in the quantities that we want, and be healthy and not overweight. I battle with this question as well....I am scared at the thought of having to change my eating habits....having to eat slow and chew my food, not sitting down with a plate heaped with food. But I'm tired of the back pain, always being exhausted, losing and regaining over and over. I want to be healthy and smaller more than I want the food. It will be hard adjustment....but everyone I have talked to has not regretted it. But it is a personal decision for everyone. You have to be mentally ready for the changes, in order for it to succeed. By the way, you are NOT CRAZY! You are normal. I think it would be more abnormal if you weren't having these thoughts and questions. This is a major life change, and it is important to think it thru. Good luck to you!

We all went thru similar questions, so no, you're not unusual in that regard.

My job doesn't know, I plan on just taking a few weeks off for "minor surgery" and not disclose why. You probably will only need a week off, 10 days at the most and then you'll be fine!

I am afraid of never pigging out again on pizza, or going out to have dinner with my relatives to an "Olive Garden" or "Texas Roadhouse" or "Red Lobster" again. The band gives you FREEDOM from that behavior! You will be eternally grateful, not regretful! At first it's kinda hard to get used to, but after that it's no big deal at all. You will be happy and amazed at how little is on your plate and you will NOT miss pigging out!

How would I explain a Protein shake instead of a steak for dinner? You won't be having a liquid diet except for the first few days! I eat steak (filet mignon) and salad and baked potatoes and veggies....just like everyone at my table...but I have 2 more meals left and take it home!

I sleep on my right side, can the port be placed on my left side, same side as the stomach? This is not an issue after the first couple of weeks. You will be able to sleep however you like, no matter where the port is placed.

Will being banded effect my singing? Will I be able to still harness my stomach muscles for strength? The band should not effect your stomach muscles in any way.

Am I JUST CRAZY for worrying like this? No, but you're concerned about things that will probably not be a problem at all.

Does everyone go through such self doubt?Yes.

I will be 50 in March 2008. Is this just midlife crisis? No!! You are making an excellent choice for your future health!! Not getting banded will be far more detrimental than doing so.

93% of bandsters say they would have the surgery agaiin in a heartbeat. Doesn't that speak for itself?

I think it is very scary to think about changing life long habits, such as "pigging out on pizza". But those type of things are what got us to where we are right now. We can't eat what ever we want, in the quantities that we want, and be healthy and not overweight. I battle with this question as well....I am scared at the thought of having to change my eating habits....having to eat slow and chew my food, not sitting down with a plate heaped with food. But I'm tired of the back pain, always being exhausted, losing and regaining over and over. I want to be healthy and smaller more than I want the food. It will be hard adjustment....but everyone I have talked to has not regretted it. But it is a personal decision for everyone. You have to be mentally ready for the changes, in order for it to succeed. By the way, you are NOT CRAZY! You are normal. I think it would be more abnormal if you weren't having these thoughts and questions. This is a major life change, and it is important to think it thru. Good luck to you!

I am going through the same questions for myself too. It is something I am trying to weigh out. I have very little support for this operation too. I feel for what you are going through because I am there too. I find that once I get the white stuff out of my diet I no longer have the cravings anymore so the trick for me is not to start on that stuff once the band is in.

Dear ImaStar...everything TerriDoodle says is right! You will be able to sleep, eat out, and sing! I had a little discomfort after surgery while trying to sleep, but after the initial soreness passed I've slept however I wanted!:notagree There is not a single food that I have had to quit eating. Sometimes I have trouble with some foods making me feel yucky, but then try I just try it again another day and it goes down fine.:hungry: I do not feel deprived. It is one of the best things that I have done for myself!:whoo:

I don't think you are going through a mid-life crisis...you just understand the importance of taking better care of yourself with age! You are smart to weigh all the pros and cons and to question all your concerns! I did and then found the answers. I have no regrets! And remember...NOTHING tastes as good as thin feels! GOOD LUCK!

Hi!

What I love the most since being banded is not having an insatiable appetite any more. I no longer have a desire to eat mass quantities of pizza or anythign else--hooray! Now that I've had several fills, I no longer obsess over what I'm going to eat at the next meal. I can pretty much eat three times a day without a desire to snack (except before my TOM--I still get some cravings I have to battle then)!

I do have trouble eating some foods although it is usually my own dumb fault for not chewing enough before I swallow. I still go out to lunch with my coworkers sometimes (only a couple of my closest colleagues, my ex, and my son know about the surgery). I typically order an appetizer and I still often have leftovers to take with me! Although I could eat anything on the menu, I choose to select items that are tasty but not the most fattening, fried, smothered in sauce food I can find. I think that's one difference between banding and gastric bypass. A gastric bypass patient can't eat anything they want because it could lead to "dumping syndrome." Since I have more freedom as a bandster, I think it's important for me to make good food choices whenever I can.

If I've just had a fill and have to drink liquids, I just tell them that I need to stop at home or go do an errand at lunch and I can't join them this time. Not a big deal!

I don't know a whole lot about what it takes to sing professionally, but weight loss in general would bring you a lot of health benefits. Doctors say that even losing as little as 10% of your current weight will lessen your risk of developing diabetes. If you weigh less, you'll be able to move and breathe better. Perhaps breathing better might actually improve your singing?

As far as recovery is concerned, I agree with everyone else that after a week or so you'll probably start feeling like your old self. You will be able to sleep however you like once you've healed enough.

Just think--if you have this surgery, work to change those life-long eating habits, and move more, you'll be well on your way to being a "delectable diva" on the stage!

Good luck!!!

:notagree There is not a single food that I have had to quit eating. Sometimes I have trouble with some foods making me feel yucky, but then try I just try it again another day and it goes down fine.:hungry: I do not feel deprived. It is one of the best quote]

wow.. this makes me really happy.. im in the beggining stages of setting up for my lap band... and ive been reading the hundreds of information books the doctor sent me home with and in one of them it was showing this list of all these foods u cant eat.. like shrimp! popcorn, asparagus, corn,Pasta, fried foods. i mean i know fried foods are bad for u.. and im not planning on eatting them all the time. but i couldnt imagine going the rest of my life without putting fried food in my mouth ever again!..lol i mean i know the book just has to warn u about things that might not settle right like the popcorn and Fiber rich foods like asparagus.. but still i love all these things. and shrimp! thats the worst! cause its actually really good for u.. but it says it might "slip threw" have u tried eatting these foods and had a problem? cause after i read these books its scared me into thinking im not gonna learn right what i can and cannot have.. and i do not want to mess thing band up after i have it!

I think everyone goes through the worrying thing before surgery. It's just human nature. I worried, too, but not for long! I started to see the weight fall off and my health and evergy come back. My life has changed! I am alive again! It's so good to be back! I owe it all to the band and to supportive friends and family. You cannot do this without support! It will make or break ya.

Best of luck to ya! I know what I am thankful for today!

(Oh, there really are not any foods that I cannot eat. I have not had any problems! YIPPEE!)