Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Depression

Is it normal to feel ups and downs after lap band surgery, my surgery was 11/15 and went extremely well. I did not even have gas pains but now one minute I feel like crying and the next I am okay? Have any of you experienced this and is their a time limit this goes on for?:help:

yes it normal part of it, some people have it worse than other. I thought I was losing my mind, called my dr and they lots of people go into depression for a few days after surgery, mine lasted for about 2 weeks, left as fast as it came on.

This is so encouraging to hear it is a normal part of this process, and I can not wait for it to high tail its way out of here!! Thank you for your reply

I started feeling the depression the day after surgery. All I could think of is what have I done to myself. My first week home was pretty rough. Crying at the least little thing. I talked to my primary care doc, and she started me on some Lexapro....which I took reluctantly because I didnt want another pill. What a difference the med and time has made. I feel wonderful.

I would imagine it's like post-vacation, post-holiday blues. You spend so much energy and focus building yourself up in anticipation and it's kindof like you expect this big epiphany to flash over your head and the angels will sing. You wake up and it's....hmmmm....business as usual except your habits and lifestyle are changing. It's a jolt. I was lucky because I did not have any depression. I was so gung ho after surgery I redirected all my forces from anticipation to determination to stay on the post-op diet for the required time.

What's the old adage...Life is 70% anticipation, 25% perspiration and 5% realization...

I felt SO depressed about a week after. It was short-lived. I felt like I mutilated myself, it was terrible. I just couldn't believe I had done this to myself, and there was no other way. It only lasted a few days, and after the initial post op diet, I realized I was totally normal. I am 9 months out and I hardly even think of it anymore. It's just become normal, and with the right fill, I am able to lose slowly and consistently. I can eat what I want, but in much smaller portions. You will get through this period. I know it feels awful, but it will soon pass, and it won't seem like a big deal anymore. Take care, and trust me, you will be so happy you made this decision. I am down 66 pounds in 9 months, and I don't feel like I'm on a diet at all, just normal eating in very small portions. Take care.

Gretchen

You may also be feeling a side affect from the anaesthetic which can result in a low mood/depression in some people. Unfortunately there isn't a specific time frame in which your mood will improve as everyone is affected differently...if your tearfulness/significantly low mood do persist for more than another couple of weeks I would suggest that you have a chat to your doctor. Congratulations on getting the band.