Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

corn syrup induced binge

Last night I had an “ah-hah!” moment. Of course, this was after I wanted to eat everything in my apartment. While I didn’t actually eat everything, I feel like I came damn close. I’m not a huge binger, more a grazer, and normally I feel full after a “normal” portion size. Not last night though. What the frell? This isn’t my normal pattern….

So, I went back over what I’d eaten during the day, and found the culprit. It was the rootbeer I’d had at about 4:00 in the afternoon. I’m not one much for sodas or other fizzy drinks, (lift or otherwise…), so a soda for me is quite the rarity. Actually, it wasn’t the rootbeer itself so much as the corn Syrup it was made with. The corn syrup caught me off guard, since I assumed the rootbeer had been made with cane sugar and not corn syrup. My dear husband brought me a full case of mixed rootbeers made with cane sugar on one of his visits out here. I had assumed that all the sodas in the box were cane sugar sweetened and not corn syrup.

Why is this such a big deal? Well, on one of my attempts to loose the 10 dress sizes I had worked with a good nutritionist and a good program that was very hard. Sure I lost 30 pounds and 2 sizes, but well I think we all know how that story turns out…. The first part of the program removed all food from your diet and then you gradually added foods back with the lowest glycimic indexed foods first, and the higher ones later. By gradually, I mean only one are two foods a week. Yeah, serious stuff. Anyway, from this process I learned that eating corn makes me ravenously hungry. Soy has a similar affect, so I suppose it is a good thing I’m not a Vegi…

I can eat corn, but I have to plan for it. I have to eat Protein and fat before eating the corn or I’m toast. I’d had the rootbeer without anything, not realizing that it had corn syrup.

Anyway, I thought I would share this “ah-hah!” I’ve read several posts where people were binging and they didn’t know why and couldn’t stop and were hating themselves for not being able to control themselves. It is possible that you might have a food sensitivity and not realize it.

Carbs in the morning have the same affect on me..I'm starving all day long or atleast I think Iam ..so I stay away from those bad bad carbs ..thank god for this fill because because those bad carbs (bread, rice, pasta)won't go through to easily

i soooo agree with the corn and carbs thing..for the last few days i have been doing Atkins and on day three i no longer crave sweet things and i find my band seems to tolerate meat ok but carbs are a real no no with it...

I must admit im not too convinced by the fat intake but im going to see what the scales say on monday and reserve judgement intil then.

I know atkins can be quite expensive with all the meat you have to buy so thank goodness my boyfriend is a butcher!!

love tracey

One thing I have always checked on is the presence of corn Syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and dextrose in food labels. You'll find it in some pretty odd places. Like dextrose in your table salt, for instance.

Corn syrup is very stable for cooking, and isn't incredibly sweet. In fact many products are merely flavored, textured versions of corn syrup. Check the label. It's cheap, and can stabelize everything from catsup to gravy and many things in between.

I try to avoid it because, to a diabetic, it's invisible sugar.

I seem to do okay with it in small ammounts, like a squirt of ketchup or so, but I normally only eat ketchup with protein... and just like I only have french fries with protein... :cheeky It is when I have a large ammount, such a an entire soda. (I'm not much of a soda drinker.) For me, it is about being prepaired.