Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with a lower BMI get banded?

Hi. I'm female, age 39, about 5'5" or 5'6" and 185 pounds or so (approx. 31 BMI). I am curious if there is anyone out there that has been banded with a lower BMI like mine. I have struggled with my weight for the past 7 years and I just can't seem to get it under control. I'm not as active as I used to be with kids but I do get out and play tennis once a week. My weight is killing my ankles, knees and hips.

If you were able to have the surgery done, did insurance pay for it?

jodi

Yes, my bmi was low, lower than yours.

I didn't and still don't have private health insurance so I had to do it myself.

It's nice to get someone else to pay for it, but don't let NOT having someone else foot the bill stop you from seeking a medical procedure that you feel will benefit you.

GraceUtah - What was your BMI? I'm confused because according to your ticker your BMI is 43.9 and you have lost 94 pounds and 22 more to go. I'm very interested in how you got the procedure done with a lower BMI. Pleassseee respond. THANKS!

It's frustrating using that ticker...it doesn't allow beginning/new diets/ anything...

My weight loss journey started at 256lbs, but I was 185 or so when I got the band. My bmi was under 30...but due to my history, my family history, and comorbids...I was approved.

My BMI was 33 when I had mine done. I am 5'1 and surgery date weighed 167. I think the lower bmi you have the harder you have to work. The band doesnot seem to be as tight after surgery and I was/am able to eat just like before surgery. I had my first fill last Thursday and I think I may have a little tiny restriction, but no where near what I want. My fill doctor says some lower bmi patients don't have quite as much fat around the stomach therefore after the swelling of the surgery, you have no restriction. That was my case. Have to use alot of willpower and fear. Fear that since I can eat too much I will somehow damage the band.

:faint:

I am 5'0 tall and weighed @165 when I had my band. I had to pay for it and I went to Mexico, it is the best thing I could have done. It has been 9 months and I weigh @ 129. Like you, I tried and tried to lose weight but just could not and so rather than wait until I gained "enough" to qualify in the us. i made the decision to get the band. I have not regretted it once. I went to Dr Ortiz

Hi All, I have a low BMI too. I am 5'6.5" weight 190 my BMI is 30.7. I am talking to Dr. Garth Davis in Houston Texas. He and his Dad Dr. Big "D" are on TV here in California. They have a show where they do LB/and bypass surgury. I hope they will accept me. If not I'll be off to Mexico.

ThinagainJann - How exciting. I'd love to keep up with your progress as I'm just starting to think about having this done. I'm in western Kentucky and I don't think anyone here would touch me.

jodi

I have a friend that due to medications she was on was unable to lose weight, and she had lap band done, and her BMI was about 30. She has had mixed results, but some of that was because of other health issues.

I am also on medications and Its looking like I may need to add a new one for..... depression since I am getting very depressed since I am not loosing any weight.

With your BMI, no insurance company would pay for your surgery, unless you had serious health problems, steming from your weight. Other then that you could probably go to Mexico and pay for it yourself, then you could find a certified Lap band sergeon in your area and do your follow ups with him/her. My insurance paid for mines, but some people who was self pay went to Mexico and paid somewhere between $7000 to $8000, that may be an option for you. Maybe you can post on this web site, asking for information to the Mexican sergeon. I'm sure someone would be glad to give you the informatin and guide you through the appropiate steps. GOOD LUCK.

Can someone please explain this to me. If I have my lapband done in Mexico will my insurance company pay for fills in the US? Should I even TELL my insurance company I had it done? What if I have to have an emergency removal of the band for some strange reason...will my insurance company cover it since I went to Mexico?

Jodi

It sounds better than it really is, I've only lost about 8 pounds since being banded. Most of that was during the Clear Liquids for 2 weeks. I have not lost but 4 pounds since october 23. I am really trying hard to not eat very much, but I could easily eat an entire pizza even with my fill. I just thought I would loose about 2 pounds a week, I have been eating around 800 calories a day and doing an hour on the treadmill 3-4 times a week. I just thought it would come off a little faster.