Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confession time

Well...here I am 3.5 weeks post-op and man did I screw up this weekend! I am so mad and frustrated with myself:mad: I had quit smoking prior to surgery so it has been a total of 1 mo. and I broke down and bought 2 pks. of cigs, then to top that off I figured well girl ya screwed up, might as well go for broke, you know like...take the weekend off...yeah right! Anyway for Breakfast I had 2 eggs (fried yikes:eek:) and a slice of toast, a lunchable for lunch and a potato, cheese and meat cassarole for dinner, not the whole casserole...hee hee then got hungry again and had some leftover casserole. And of course I had to add fuel to the fire by having some wine...man I don't know what got into me. Well tomorrow is a new day, no more smokes, back on the treadmill and watch those calories! Just had to get this off my chest:cry

First of all, don't beat yourself up TOO bad as far as the eating goes. You are probably NOT supposed to be on solids yet and yes, you sure didn't make any great choices when you decided to cheat, but I'd say learn from the mistake and don't dive in again. The difference with the band is that when you finally get the restriction, there will be no more of stuffing your face with things through the day. That just isn't going to happen. First of all, you probably are a fast healer to even be able to tolerate the foods you got down. And also you know you have no restriction now. If your doctor is like most, you should be due for a fill by about next week or earlier. If he says it's okay, get in there and get that first fill to get the process initiated. Your band isn't working for you yet, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to go hog wild. There is personal restraint that MUST be learned here. Start now trying to make healthy choices and thinking things through befor you blithely jump off the cliff....

Deb,

I was banded 11/09/07. Until yesterday, I must have been swollen because I could feel Water hanging out in my new pouch for a little bit. I couldn't even eat more than 1/2 cup of broth. Well that is changing, yesterday I was able to drink Water without that feeling. Because I have been on liquids for about three weeks, my mind started wondering last evening, what could I eat without getting into trouble???

What you have done is very natural given our extended break from eating "normal" foods, and it isn't like we had great eating behaviors before our liquid phase or we would not have been in this situation.

Anyway, do not jeopardize the long term success of your band on short term food cravings (saying this, I will probably need you to tell me this same thing in a week or two). You went through a lot to get your band, these beginning weeks are critical...

So, forget that slip you had, you have lost 21 pounds (WOW!) and get back to doing the right thing.

Good luck...

Deb, good for you to admitting it. That is the start. Go back on your post op diet first. Proceed with the threadmill. If you started to smoke again I'm sorry about that. Its a nasty habit to break so good luck.

Deb,

STEP AWAY FROM THE CIGARETTE..... I REPEAT STEP AWAY FROM THE CIGARETTE

Ok, I'll step off my soap box now. But as an ex-smoker, I know how hard the last month or so has been for you to quit. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

I quit 5 and a half years ago, and now I don't even miss it. AT ALL. Quitting was the hardest thing I've EVER done. But I did it. And you can, too!

As far as the eating goes, you screwed up. You know you screwed up. Starting RIGHT NOW, go back to what you know to be the right way.

Hang in there, you'll get through this.

Thanks all for the support. This site has helped sooo much. I am back on track and even lost 2 more lbs.

Deb-

I know how you feel. I was banded by Dr Nimirl on 10/08 and had to travel out of the country for business last week. I ate like normal - the business dinners etc just finally got to me and before you know it I was eating french fries!!!

Ugh - I am back on track now and just had my first fill this morning. I am still proud of my loss so far and know that I have the best chance of making it thru the holidays with the band than with out it.

Take care.

Deb, I always say you can't change the past but you can change the future. Don't look back, just get on track. I guess that's enough stupid mottos for both of us!

I am six weeks post op and have occasional bad days too. I don't have the smoking problem, but food still calls my name every day. My husband and I took a trip on the Camp Verde railway last week, complete with appetizers, Cookies, and a ranch house dinner afterwards. I at least sampled everything in sight, except for the chicken wings, only because I had just had an unfortunate blockage episode the day before with a chicken leg that scared me.

I'm over in Surprise and about the same age as you. Keep in touch. I'm going for my first fill next week, and hope that will keep the backsliding away.