Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEw to the group looking for advide HELP

I am new to this group I was looking in a chat room this evening for anyone who could help me and a very nice woman from LA sent me an IM cause there was a strange guy in the chat.

Anyway she sent me to this site.

I am 21 with a BMI of 49.8 according to the online calculators:help:. I know that something has to be done now. I have to admit I am scared and unsure. I have a husband who is 6'4 and 175 so he is a great support for healthy living but being active duty military makes it hard for him to help me. Most of my friends just dont understand. Gotta love how I always find the skinny people to become friends with. I dont want to do the fad of the week I need long term answers. I really need some support and advice as to what to do.

I have a family history of everything (high blood pressure, heart disease, thyroid, diabetic, and almost every form of cancer) I know my odds are good of getting one or all os these. I also have a family history of morbid obesity. My grandmother was 420lbs, My dad and brother are over 350 and my mom is just under me at 250. I have past the point of oh just work out.

I know everyone probably did need to know my history but I just need to talk to peopl who understand. My aunt had gastric and that just isnt an option at my age. My mom is not for any of it and my dad says whatever will make me healthy.

PLEASE ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREAT AND INFO ON LAPBAND IS GREAT TO HEAR.

Thanks to all for reading,

Mecca:rolleyes:

Your history helps people know where you're coming from so it's good that you've shared with us. I say do it... I wish I had done it when I was younger. I know a 23yo girl who did it 2 years ago and lost 40 kilos (88lbs) and she is so happy... said she's never regretted it. Look into thoroughly before you do it, so your well informed. Good luck with your decision.

I have all those illnesses in my bloodline as well, but I have never given it much thought. One brother of mine is obese and has sleep apnea llike I have, (he could use having the Lap Band proceedure done). I weight 214 pounds and am 5 foot 4 inches tall. How much do I have to lose in order to rid myself of sleepp apnea?

I have a pace maker and I'm almost 60 years old. Will this be a problem?

What is the best liquid diet to go on? Later would Jenny Craig be a good option? (When I'm on solids?)

Besides from walking and riding the eliptical machine, and jumping rope, what is a good way to exercise?

I hear your appetite does not go away even after the proceedure, is that true, and what is done to surpress ones appetite?

These are only a few questions I have. Please respond.

Alida

Hi there....

I had the lap band put in on 10/5/07. I LOVE IT!!! I have a "family" that treats me like a piece of crap. ("family" = Mother, Father, Sister & her husband & brother) My husband & daughter supported me. I have not told my "family". I had to grow up with the nick name of walrus given to be by my loving (LOL) mother. The sad thing is when I was living at home with them at my heaviest there I was only 160 pounds & a size 10!!!!! Yup a size 10 to my mom that equaled me being a walrus... anyway, I thought if I tell them they will ridicule me for the rest of my life... So, I called my mom (even though she lives 2 miles from me) I said, "Mom, I need to have surgery." She said "for what?" I said, "I need to have my gall bladder out..." She said, "ohhh, that is nothing..." then she changed the subject to her favorite one, that is talking about my sister, the golden child! So I gave her a chance to care, she chose not to...

So, on 10/5 I had it done. My husband & daughter were by my side. They wanted what was best for me. I was at 289 pounds. I am 5'9". I am already down 30 pounds. I am very very happy!! I went from a size 24 tight fitting to a size 18!! WOW!!!!! I am so excited about this lap band!

The surgery was not bad at all. I was scared, but I researched my doc & trusted him. I also said to myself if it is my time God will take me. I prayed & said please don't my husband & daughter need me. I had my 1st fill on 11/6/07. I had 1cc. they tried 2cc but it was way to tight. I could not even drink Water.

I take my time & chew very well. I used to be the 1st one done dinner. Now I am the last & it takes me a while to finish 1/4 of what I used to eat. I am amazed that I can eat such small portions & not be hungry for more.

The lap band is a tool. It helps you if you use it correctly is what my doc says. So, that is what I am doing. He said he is not like some docs & he does not make you wait forever for the 1st fill. He said a month after surgery you stomach has already gotten much smaller & you need a fill to for the tool to work right. It is working because I am not starving... I am losing... And I feel Grrrrrrrrrrreat!!!

I would say go for it!! You can use my little white lie & tell your mom you are having your gall bladder out. I even told my doc that is what I told my family. He said good for you. e told me I did not need any one that is going to try to bring me down. He said if you ever need your gall bladder out then we will tell your family you are having surgery to fix an ulcer! I said Great!!!!

I am considering 10/5 my new birthday. It is a wonderful thing!

Good luck in your journey!

Hi, I was on the other end, being the active duty servicemember. I was injured in Desert Storm and the weight piled on quickly. Luckily, I discovered lapband and a great surgeon.

There is a thread under insurance that talks of TriCare...they now pay for this.

Good luck!

You'll do this well, you watch. You'll see.

I have a best friend that was banded in Feb. Her hubby is active military as well. He is in primo condition and she is over 400lbs. We have talked about this in detail. I have a pretty good idea of what you are referring to.

If you want it bad enough, you'll get it.

Welcome!

I haven't regretted having this surgery for a moment! I no longer crave food every waking moment of the day and night. It's wonderful not to have food in control--now I am!

I chose to tell very few people about the surgery. It's no one's business but mine! As long as you have someone you can trust to be a support system, you will be fine. If you don't want to tell obnoxious family members about it, then you don't have to. When you start losing, just smile like the Cheshire cat in Alice in Wonderland and just nod in agreement that you look great!

You will see many benefits to your health even after losing some of the weight you need to lose. It's a great feeling to start being more energetic and to be able to reduce or eliminate medications!

Good luck on your journey!!!