Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am starting to think that perhaps I have an ulcer - I'm just wondering if it needs to be diagnosed with an endoscopy, or can the surgeon figure it out without one?

what are your symptoms? You're also in the time range when strictures appear, too.

I thought I had an ulcer once. My first PCP did a bunch of blood tests to rule out anything else, and then assumed it was probably an ulcer, so she had me taking omeprazole and something to coat my stomach. I changed PCP's about a month after that, and the second one did an H. pylori test, which came back negative - so I don't know what was going on. Probably just some reflux or something (??) Anyway, I didn't have an endoscopy, although I would guess they could spot one with that - unless it was in the part of your stomach that's been closed off.

I don't think it's a stricture because some stuff stays down. But I am getting sick after some food - I throw up most days at least once a day. I have pain on my left side under my rib and some nights I wake up fighting nausea out of nowhere. I also feel burning around my sternum, but that could be from the throwing up I've done I guess.

I was in terrible pain and went in. They gave me oral lidocaine and mylanta. My pain went away immediately after that. She said she thought it was an ulcer.

I had a endoscopy after that and said I had gastritis.

I know the pain. Hope you feel better!

When I had my endoscopy before RNY (to see what my anatomy looked like after my failed sleeve), I was diagnosed with chronic gastritis. I was told by the endo that it's very common and didn't do anything else... should I have been given medication for it do you think?

1 hour ago, froufrou said:

When I had my endoscopy before RNY (to see what my anatomy looked like after my failed sleeve), I was diagnosed with chronic gastritis. I was told by the endo that it's very common and didn't do anything else... should I have been given medication for it do you think?

I was given sucralfate and started taking protonix 2x a day.

I think someday when they do my autopsy they will find out my spine is now a stack of Sucralfate pills, one on top of another. I'm sure I have taken enough since October 12th and they had to end up SOMEWHERE!👈👼👉

Having thought about this over night and looking up the symptoms of Chronic Gastritis, I really think this is causing me all of my issues lately, and I am wondering why on earth I was not prescribed medication at the time of my endo results. I'm pretty pissed off. Today I'll get hold of some antacid medication and see if it helps me.

I forget ;were you a VSG or a RNY? I ask because you may not retain enough stomach acid to digest and use Calcium Carbonate, the basic chemical in Tums et all. That's why they usually recommend another Calcium wait like Citrate. Of course, if you want to spend your money and have them leave in your💩 poo, well so be it! We do get that choice in the Good Old U.S. of A. don't we?
And Chronic Gastritis is not fun, it's like a gas heater on low flame, still hot to the touch, and you hope the flame does not go out. Carbon Monoxide poisoning also not fun, gives you a horrible headache before you reach a lethal level. Yeah, Frustr8 has experienced THAT too.
A fact of bodily chemistry, your red blood cells like Carbon Monoxide a whole lot better than straight Oxygen, that's one of the treacherous things about Carboxyhemaglobin, those doggone erythrocytes don't Wanna give up it for Oxygen. It gives you a lovely red flush, because it's Cherry Red, you won't need as much makeup at the Mortuary, but dying to prove it, not a GOOD thing. I much prefer to continue living, Thank You Very Much!

I had both - sleeve first (failed due to leak) and then RNY. No gallbladder - was taken out back in 1994, so bile just flows through me, apparently? Not sure if that has any significance. I have been MISERABLE since RNY to be honest, but chugging along. I could manage the throwing up, but not the onset of pain in the last week. Then I remembered the report I was given after the endoscopy... Chronic Gastritis and polyps. Had a biopsy - negative. I have a history of B12 deficiency - apparently that can cause Chronic Gastritis too. I don't know! I'm trying the Prilosec and then I have an appointment on June 18th with my surgeon.

After taking a dose of Prilosec, I actually had a solid night of sleep! I also kept my food down yesterday. I am really hoping that after a course of the Prilosec, I'll be back to normal. The only question now is... why did the Gastric doc let me go without prescribing medication? hmmm.

Probably didn't realize you would be one that needed it. I do hope Omeprazole(Prilosec) works for you, it seems to for most people. It didn't for me but I am an "outlier", only thing that consistently does is Dexilent, the $300 PPI, luckily my Medicare PartD/Medicaid takes it down to a $3,40 co-pay, because without it my gastritis/ jejunal ulcers and structured Stoma would run ramptant.and i would be without HOPE! I joke when they do my Autopsy, they will discover my spine has been replaced by a neat row of Sucralfate tablets stacked up! I have,been taking that for 7.5 months, does it help? IDK haven't had a day without it, every 6 hours 6am, noon, 6pm, midnight--- now and forevermore!
Ulcers, dull continuous Pain with brief flare-ups of agony. Watch for black emesis, that's digesti g blood, bright red means one has perforated , will I make it to an ER before I bleed to Death?, IDK but it is a Scary Larry situation to contemplate!

It sounds like you and I have very similar issues Frustr8!

Pretty much, but you kniw, it makes me feel better to know I'm not out here all alone! Thanks froufrou👸🙏