Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went to Dermatologist for the hair loss and...

Okay, I already had an appointment with my dermatologist so I asked him about the Hair loss. He said it is due to dermatitis, which is caused by stress (surgery, weight loss, etc.). He gave me two sample bottles of (1) Regular Head and Shoulders and (2) Head and Soulders intensive treatment (in a dark blue bottle). He said wash my hair every day, alternating the two and I should see a difference within a week. The important thing he said was to wash it EVERY day (which I don't normally do). So that's what the doctor said if anyone is interested, since it's all over the counter stuff.

Thanks, kacee! I've only been banded for two weeks and haven't noticed any changes, of course, but this seems like any easy remedy to try if it becomes an issue. Let us know if it works for you!

I didn't start losing the hair until the fourth month. I THOUGHT I was immune to it after hearing everyone else agonize, but I found out I am JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE (WWWHHHAAATTT????????) so you can hope all you want, but chances are good that you may become part of the LapBand Hair Club in a little while. Just don't be surprised if it happens.

That's interesting, I am NOT washing my hair everyday, because it seems showering is when I find the clumps.. I thought letting my hair rest every other day was helping. Maybe I will start washing it everyday and see how that helps. I also take Biotin, that's what my band doc recommends. My hair isn't falling out as fast as it was, but that could just be because it was deciding to stop soon anyway..

Thanks for the advice. I too thought I was out of the woods but now that I'm over four months out...I'm starting to notice I'm shedding a heck of a lot more. Looks like I'll also be the next member of the Lapband hair Club.

Please don't tell me I have to be fat with hair or bald and skinny. I read on the internet you lose hair if you do not eat enough Protein. I am only out 7 weeks but I am making sure I eat lots of protein. So far, I have not had much restriction so it has been easy to eat protein.

Lack of Protein definitely contributes to the situation, but this is more about the stress that has ben put on the body....surgery is a big stressor, dramatic weight loss is a huge stressor...any dramatic change in the body's workings can set it off. I started taking hair and nails Vitamins with tons of Biotin in it, about two weeks ago. I HAVE noticed a dramatic lessening of the fallout, so I don't know whether to contribute it to the pills or the more frequent washing or what. I am still not washing my hair EVERY night, but I am trying to do every two days or every other day. I've just got too much hair and too much maintenance to deal with it every night. Yeah, I would have thought more frequent washing would have made for more frequent loss, but the doc says NO.

WoW, I thought I was in trouble... My hair has always fallen out, but recently, it had gotten worse. I know I was eating my Protein and taking my Vitamins but decided to do some start research... I'm thinking its time to have my thyroid retested, as well I found out that if you are on birth control, it can contribute to Hair loss.

Just a few thoughts... As well, I also noticed the clumps got smaller when I upped the hair washing...

Kacee - thank you!!!! OMG I'm going to the store TONIGHT to get some head and shoulders!!

Thank you thank you thank you!! My part just grows wider and wider (I already had thin hair to begin with)

it's funny that i came across this post. i have NOT been getting enough Protein in every day, so i've been hoping that i get my Protein up before my hair starts to fall out. however, i noticed this week, that my hair is oily between washings (my hair falls below my breasts and is at mid back). it is also fine, but i have a lot. well, this week all of a sudden i have enough dandruff that i have to use a lint brush. i have breakouts on my face all of a sudden, also, they usually go hand in hand.

i'll try the head and shoulder's, but i will have to use another conditioner for my ends, the last time i used head and shoulder's it dried out my ends terribly.

Thanks Kaycee - I'll try that as well. I'm currently using Nioxin products, but if a doctor says Head and Shoulders, then I'll try it! Please let us know your progress as you go along.

The hair loss does slow down.

I have been using Rogaine pretty much from the beginning and am very happy with this product.

I buy the CVS brand.

I was a little nervous about using this, as I was worried what would happen if I stopped using it, but you can't worry about everything.

If I were younger (I am 53) I may be hesitant and wait it out, but I am glad I started using it.

I find the Hair loss for me happens in stages it will wax and wane depending on how much weight I am losing. When I am having a good weight loss month, my hair suffers.