Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I have 2 small children (3 and 1) and am scheduled for my surgery Nov 27 at SWLC in Mississauga, Ontario. I was going to have someone watch them during the day of my procedure, but go home later that day, try and rest but I know they will want me when they see me and may not give me the chance to really rest.... would you recommend having them sleep elsewhere for the first night, or is it pretty easy to get back into the swing of things ... I do tend to bounce back pretty quick from illness/childbirth so am sort of counting on that to help me but do not want to cause any complications or hinder my recovery time

thanks for your responses .....

Liz

Oh Lizzy, you definitely need to have either someone there to help you or have them stay elsewhere. I too have two little ones - they were 3 months and 2 and half at the time of surgery and I had to have my husband there. I thought I would be fine to have my son in hospital with me (who I'm breastfeeding) but boy was I wrong. I also bounced back quickly from childbirth etc but I found myself in a lot of pain afterwards and by trying to do too much too soon, I actually made it worse - the gas pains in your abdomen and shoulders are the worst. You could be fine as some people are but you also may find that you are on painkillers for at least a few days and a bit sore and sorry for yourself as I was. Once a week had passed I was fine and now know it was the best thing I have done but I had my husband there 24/7 to help out. Make sure you get some help and congrats on being banded.

I would say ditto for me. But I did not have any gas pain or any pain for that matter. But just in case, you may want someone to stay with you for lifting the babes. Dont rush it, you want to heal properly.

thanks for your thoughts .... my husband isn't really onboard with me having the surgery (he thinks I should just eat right and exercise .. if it were that easy, huh ? ) anyway, I think the girls and I will just go to my moms afterall, to ensure I get the proper rest.

thanks again :0)

I was very fortunate to have my husband for 1&1/2 weeks. We planned the surgery around his vacation. I agree with everyone else, you will probably need someone to help you. You will definitely need to take it easy for a while. My son was 19 months old at the time of my surgery and my doctor did not want me picking him up for about 2 weeks (I actually did a little before then).Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Going to your moms is a good idea. Or having someone come stay with you for a couple of days. Cause you never know how you will react.

Every time you go through surgery you have a chance that you will react differently.

You may feel great or be in allot of pain, either way picking up the little ones will be a no go for a while and if your feeling bad they will of course want mommy more. Its just how kids are.

It's better to have help handy or be with someone who can help then to get stuck needing help and end up in pain or being frustrated.

Absolutely. Interruptions in your downtime can greatly impact your return to normal and there are no better experts at that than little people!

I had my mom keep my 2 year old daughter the night before and after surgery and my cousin keep her the second night after surgery. I really wanted to make sure I got all the rest that I could. I missed her but I think I needed those tow days with just hubby taking care of me. Once she came he had to divide his time between the two of us but I was able to do a lot on my own by then.

my dh would not allow me to "Rest" after surgery. my doc told him i was only allowed in the bed at night, and the rest of the day i needed to be up to prevent blood clots. I personally, was not happy with this part as i have had other surgeries before and was at least able to sleep off the anestesia.

i had stomach pain, but i did not have bad gas pain. however, even if you feel WONDERFUL pain wise, you still will need time for the anestesia to wear off.

it is funny to me now, because for about 48 hours i was in a catatonic state (not literally, of course), sitting and sleeping with my mouth open, head tilted to the side, drooling, and randomly joining earth and saying things like "just ignore me, i'm crazy, or i don't know what i'm talking about". see, their conversations were interrupting my sleep and i had no idea what was really being said and what wasn't.

if i would have had to care for 2 small children it would have been disastrous, i simply was not there.

My little on was almost 12 mo. at my surgery. DH and my Mom went with me so they just took care of him in the waiting room. After, DH was home over the weekend with me so he took care of him while I rested. I was aloud to pick him up within 2 or 3 days though. I would really recommend the help for at least the first day and the day after.

I just had my band on Friday. We farmed the kids out for the whole weekend (Thursday night through Sunday) and then my mom has been taking them during the day for this week. I do miss them, but the noise and chaos is a lot for me. I have had some pain and NO energy (I have other health issues that affect this, too), so having the days to myself has been wonderful!

I have three littles, ages 6, 4 and 2. The 2 and the 4 year olds weigh the same and I have not felt up to lifting them yet. I guess I would recommend at least having care lined up and if you don't need it, great. But if you do, you want to be sure to be cared for. I'm sorry your husband isn't supportive. That must be so hard.