Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Related Costs Estimates for Us Selfpay

I just recently decided to do the band. I am self pay and for me the suregery is going to be 10000. This includes The doctors fees, the aid fee, the anestesiologis *(sp) fee and the hospital fee.

I am wondering on the related costs, the things that are possible that the doctor might send you to get prior to surgery and after surgery.

So from what I have read, I am making a list here. if you think something is missing, if you let me know I will add it. And if all those who have had self pay any of this things can post what it cost them, I will be updating the list with prices people say they paid. Hoping this will help some of us prepare money wise prior to taking the first step.

Pshic evaluation:

Blood work ( know it varies case from case so please be specific):

EKG:

Pulmonology:

Upper GI (barium swallow):

Classes:

Nutritionist ( I read some have had to ):

Initial Consultation:

Fills (sepcify what type-Water or?):

Ok I think that is it for now.. any other thing just let me know

My surgery was $12,500, including the hospital, anesthesia, surgeon's fees, and a year of aftercare, including fills.

Here are the other charges:

Pshic evaluation: $150

Blood work, PFT, Chest X-ray, Doctor's Exam: I'm afraid I don't have the breakdown. My doctor was able to use some tests that I had done in the summer. I know I had a metabolic workup as part of the blood work. The total for labs, EKG, Pulmonary Function Test, chest X-ray, and examination by my GP was about $550.

Upper GI (barium swallow): Didn't have to do.

Classes:

Nutritionist ( I read some have had to ): $75.00

Initial Consultation: $250

Fills (sepcify what type-Water or?): Included with surgery price.

So for me, about $1000 in addition to the $13,500.

Total cost was $10,850 and that covered all my pre-op stuff. They didn't even request any type of payment from me whatsoever at my consultation and that included talking to the nutritionist, the doctor, the psych-eval, the doctor's assistant... And I went to their nutrition class with no extra cost. Not a cent came out of my bank account until the day of surgery. Of course, I also didn't have to do a lot of that pre-op stuff like EKGs, pulmonary or sleep studies, etc. That may be more BMI-related or a doctor's preference based on his estimated risk for each patient.

I'd say it probably evens out compared to Longhorn because I WILL be paying for fills. Honestly, I don't know how much because I don't care what it costs - it's worth it to me.

My cost was $18,600. That included the psych eval, all the pre-op testing, everything and everyone needed for surgery, fills for a year, doctor's visits for a year, and post-op testing.

If they are still doing it the same way, you will get three fills with the price of your surgery. After that, they are 160.00. I haven't heard that the price changed. I plan to call Monday to see if they can get me on a cancellation list, so I will ask if you still get 3 with the 10 grand and how much they are after that.

I paid for it all myself too.

Mine was $12,000 which includes all hospital , anesthesiologist fees, ( basically the surgery ) And all fills for the first yr.

All my pre op

Nut evaluation

pscyh evaluation

Blood work

Pulmonary

Chest X rays

and Consult

Ran me about $700 I believe

I do have to pay for Flouro every time i get a fill which is $125 until my doc can feel my port .

But that's all.

HTH

Mindy

PS My docs info is on my sig line just click His Name

Ya know what...for some of you who are anticipating getting the band and paying for it, you might start with tests BEFORE you go for your consult and start the "bandwagon" rolling. I was having trouble snoring and went to an ENT (then had a sleep test), which was covered by insurance. I went to the GP and had bloodwork done, (which I do several times a year anyway because I am on BP and cholesterol meds) which was covered by insurance. I had had a kindof tightness in my chest for a few days and wound up at a cardiologist having a stress test...all covered. And THEN I decided to get the band and ALL my testing I'd had done in the last three months was just sent over to the surgeon, which fullfilled all the pre-op needs.

Ya know what...for some of you who are anticipating getting the band and paying for it, you might start with tests BEFORE you go for your consult and start the "bandwagon" rolling. I was having trouble snoring and went to an ENT (then had a sleep test), which was covered by insurance. I went to the GP and had bloodwork done, (which I do several times a year anyway because I am on BP and cholesterol meds) which was covered by insurance. I had had a kindof tightness in my chest for a few days and wound up at a cardiologist having a stress test...all covered. And THEN I decided to get the band and ALL my testing I'd had done in the last three months was just sent over to the surgeon, which fullfilled all the pre-op needs.

Yes some of the pre op testing can be covered by insurance . Most of the time you can get blood work, chest xray , pulmonary covered by insurance.

It just depneds on how the doc codes it .

A good doc can code it the right way .

In my case i didnt have insurance . that is a good point to bring up though .

Mindy

I have crumby insurance that I pay for myself. It pays for office visits but any lab work falls under the $1,000.00 deductible.

There is a special exclusion for weight loss surgery that says

"no weight loss surgery of any kind is covered."

My lab work did go towards my deductible, for all the good that did me.