Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap band vs. bypass

Hi all, this is my very first thread. I started the journey to weight loss surgery this past Thurs by attending an educational session and starting the process. Initially I was gung ho for lap band and not sure if I want to do that or bypass......can anyone share with my why they decided to lap band over bypass? Making the decision to do weight loss surgery in general wasn't an easy one, but I am so happy I have but now just kind of on the fence about which one to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tonya - Greenville, NC :help:

Tonya,

I waffled for the longest time. It took me two years from the time I first considered WLS as a viable option. During that time, I tried to lose weight myself with the same level of success I have always had (although I did lose about 22 lbs prior to my preop diet since last November which I was pretty psychd about).

Anyway, I attended a seminar last March that discussed both options. I decided I would try one more time on my own. After a few months with no additional weight loss, I decided it was time to make a decision. I included my husband in the decision because of the whole "in sickness and in health" thing. He was dead set against the bypass given the mortality rate. Even though I am only about 120lbs over weight but in very good shape for someone my age and size, the risks of the bypass were a non-starter for him. And, after thinking about it more on my own, I don't want a life without food, I want a life with food at moderation. I felt the band could give that to me. I want slow and consistent weight loss, not starvation and malnutrition. Even though the bypass would have better addressed one of my biggest weaknesses (sweets), there are more risks of bone loss, hair loss, malnutrition, ulcers around the stitched reconnects, dumping syndrome, etc, etc... I also attended a few support groups, and I apologize in advance if this hurts anyones feelings, but when I looked around this large room full of bypass and lapband patients, the bypass patients looked sickly and the lapband patients, although a bit larger then their bypass counterparts, looked more healthy and vibrant. The lapband folks for the most part had good hair (except for one gal), and good looking skin. The bypass folks by and large had thin almost chemo looking hair, and their skin looked dry and saggy, they looked gaunt and sallow.

This impression made the decision for me. Although the bypass surgery seemed to be more of a guarantee of weight loss, I was concerned about the long term health ramifications. Plus, I want to lose weight to be a youthful 45, 46, 47.... I don't want to lose weight and have brittle bones, and ailing health. I know this post is way to long.... Sorry... Anyway, there was one bypass patient who was the exception to the rule. This woman lost 170lbs, she is in marathons, had plastic surgery, looks drop dead gorgeous. But she was the wife of someone with money so she could work on herself and working out all day long. She also confessed that she needs to workout at least 2 hours a day to maintain and she is thinking about getting a lapband on her bypass stomach.

Hope this helps. Sorry it is so long.

Good luck in your decision.

Why I chose the band:

• Lower mortality rate, only 1 in 2000 versus 1 in 200 for Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery
  • Fully reversible, stomach returns to normal if the band is removed
  • No cutting or stapling of the stomach
  • Short hospital stay
  • Quick recovery
  • Adjustable without additional surgery
  • No malabsorption issues (because no intestines are bypassed)
  • Fewer life threatening complications

Thanks for both of you honesty - I guess I didn't look at it terms of future health, and I'd rather be back up and at em rather than longer recovery and more risks!

How have you guys done so far since being banded?

Thanks for both of you honesty - I guess I didn't look at it terms of future health, and I'd rather be back up and at em rather than longer recovery and more risks!

How have you guys done so far since being banded?

I have been really happy with my results. I've lost over 40 lbs and I haven't had any complications. I just had my 2nd fill last week, and I finally have some restriction. The main reason I chose lap band (i forgot to list it previously.....duh) is that the lap band is something that can stay with me for life. Even after I reach goal, it can still be used to maintain. I know a girl that had the bypass about 8 years ago, she did pretty good with it, but over the years she has put it all back on, plus some. I guess she stretched her stomach back to normal. I am so pleased with my results so far. Good luck.