Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon after surgery were you able to get your 64 oz of Water a day? I'm really sucking at this. I sip, sip, and then my stomach hurts. I'm getting my fluids by way of the about 8 oz of chicken broth I'm drinking right now, the stuff I take with the vicodin (watery applesauce or pudding), sips of Protein Shake, and sips of water now and then. I'm getting NOwhere NEAR 64 oz. :) Sheesh. I just don't feel like taking anything in - it's hard! And how about your Protein? I haven't gotten 60-80 mg today, either. :) This will get easier as the days go by, right?

If there's anything I wish I had, it's a belly bra. LOL It hurts less to walk around if I support my tummy. Anybody else have this problem?

Sorry you're having trouble!

I was able to drink the full 64 oz. and get in the Protein from the beginning. I had Low-Carb SlimFast (20 g. Protein per can) and Propel. The cans are 12 oz each so three SlimFasts were 36 oz. of Fluid and usually two 16 oz. Propels added another 32 oz, getting me to 68 oz. of Fluid and 60 grams of protein. Then I also had some sugar free Jello made with added powdered egg whites, which kicked in a little more protein. Sometimes the Propel tasted too sweet so I was fine with Water or Diet Snapple. I liked sugar free popcycles, too. I tried chicken broth with chicken-flavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder but I was afraid that it contributed to my gas and bloating. However, after that went away, I really enjoyed it, especially when I got tired of sweet stuff.

I'm sure it won't last much longer as you continue to heal. Just do the best you can!

Hey Steph, I use Isopure from GNC. I use eight ounces of milk (around 10 grams protein) and then the appropriate amount of shake (25 grams protein). So with two Protein shakes/day I get in 60 grams of protein. Did you just get your surgery? You can try walking around with a pillow around your tummy, just press it in. If you're just out of surgery (I'm sorry I don't know where you are in this process), it gets better in only a few days!! About a week after surgery I was able to drink a lot more. I always have Water by me and take two big sips (prob around 2 tablespoons total?) and then I do it again in like five minutes. I don't time it or anything, I just try not to overdo it. With the Protein Shakes I am able to get in around 8 glasses of fluid/day. It was hard the first week though.

Linda

Hi Steph, I must say I wasn't big on drinking water... spoke to the nurse and she said as long as I was drinking enough of everything else, eg Protein Drinks, then it was ok. She said as long as I wasn't feeling dehydrated or weak. Of course, you need to check with your dr's office.

I had surgery this past Thursday. So I'm two days past. Ugh...I don't know what it is, but I keep getting this pain like a burp that just can't come out. It's not constant - it's like it comes in waves and just gets stuck. What is that??? It makes me not want to put anything else in there.

I know it's bad for me, but all I want to do is just sleep or stay lying down. I went for a walk around the block yesterday (holding my tummy) and that felt okay. I just want to go to sleep and wake up when it's no longer hurting - it's exhausting. How long before the port site stops hurting? That's really the only pain that bothers me - the rest I can deal with.

I had surgery this past Thursday. So I'm two days past. Ugh...I don't know what it is, but I keep getting this pain like a burp that just can't come out. It's not constant - it's like it comes in waves and just gets stuck. What is that??? It makes me not want to put anything else in there.

I know it's bad for me, but all I want to do is just sleep or stay lying down. I went for a walk around the block yesterday (holding my tummy) and that felt okay. I just want to go to sleep and wake up when it's no longer hurting - it's exhausting. How long before the port site stops hurting? That's really the only pain that bothers me - the rest I can deal with.

Hi Steph:

What you describe is nearly exactly how I felt after my surgery. I felt like I had this thing in the middle of my boobs and when I would drink it took forever for it to get through. I was told this was the swelling caused by the band of the new pouch.

It got better each day. But I was still having trouble getting in all of my liquid, but you just have to keep pushing yourself. You can count all liquid that you take in not just Water or shakes for example if you are eating broth or popsicles or Jello you can count those ounces as well.

It will get easier I promise I am 8 days out today and I feel like a whole new person today than I have all week. I actually think I will be able to manage at work next week.

I am using the unjury to get all my Protein in, this was so hard the first few days after surgery and I wasn't getting all of my Protein either. I just kept making myself. When I went to full liquids the 4th day after surgery that helped me alot, because I could add milk to the mix.

Hang in there girlfriend you will feel like a new woman in a couple more days I am sure. My port site is what gave me fits and when I woke up this morning it is so so so much better:clap2:. I made myself get up and walk and walk and walk some more. You really have to do that to get the muscles working and not tightening up on you.

I made myself drink a Slim-Fast this morning and then I went for a walk two times around the block. Phew.

All my pain went after about a week or so. Walking is good but if you're tired, I'd do a little less. I was tired for a few days after and worked from home so I wouldn't have to drive. Just take care of yourself and don't get out there too soon.

Had surgery Tuesday, hospital did not let me drink until Wednesday afternoon after flurescope was complete. I would say today was the first day I drank 64 oz the other days came close but no cigar.:clap2:

All my pain went after about a week or so. Walking is good but if you're tired, I'd do a little less. I was tired for a few days after and worked from home so I wouldn't have to drive. Just take care of yourself and don't get out there too soon.

OMG, ain't that the truth! I got a little cocky today because I was feeling pretty good this morning about 4am (my sleep schedule is all screwy, now) and the last time I had taken Vicodin was 8pm the night before. So I skipped the Vicodin, only took some Tylenol. Went for the walk two times around the block, then went to the recycle center, Rite-Aid, and Target with DH. OOOOOooooohhhh, did I regret that. I probably would have been fine on Vicodin. All that walking and getting in/out of the vehicle without the strong pain meds, I just about died. LOL I took 2 Vicodin when I got home and passed out for 4 hours!

Hi Stephanie,

How are you feeling, have the pain lessen?

Yeah, it was nice when it HAD lessened. LOL Then I got full of myself. haha I'll be staying ahead of the pain meds if I know I'm going somewhere, or before going to bed!!

Had surgery Tuesday, hospital did not let me drink until Wednesday afternoon after flurescope was complete. I would say today was the first day I drank 64 oz the other days came close but no cigar.:clap2:

Thank you, Princess. That makes me feel a bit better. I'm drinking my 3rd 11-oz Slim Fast and aside from that, I've only had sips of juice or Water today.

Your body will certainly tell you when to stop Steph... that's why we need to keep listening. Even more so when you start your mushies. I haven't had problems but sometimes I know when I've eaten too fast. Remember, it's like we're toddlers, learning to walk again.

Steph, you will feel a lot better after a week post-op, really! I went to GNC today and they have Isopure on sale all month. I'm not sure if that's across the States, but it's here in AR. The Isopure is normally $60 but was $36 on sale. I got a shake as well as a drink flavored Alpine Punch. It's got the same amount of Protein as the shakes - (50 grams/12 ounces water), zero carbs, zero sugar. I use a little less powder/water, use crushed ice, get it really cold, and it's really good - kind of like a crystal light drink or something like that. They had another flavor but I can't remember what it was.

The Water thing got easier for me a week post-op too. Give yourself time.