Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone heard of Dr. Kahlilli at Cedars Sinai in LA?

I think that's the name they've given me. If anyone has heard anything negative, I need to ask for a change quickly. Anyone know anything about him, good or bad?

Thanks

Gwenn

I think that's the name they've given me. If anyone has heard anything negative, I need to ask for a change quickly. Anyone know anything about him, good or bad?

Thanks

Gwenn

He's the Director of the Bariatric program at Cedar's. His colleague Dr. Cunneen is my surgeon.

Thanks. I've actually heard a lot about him since I posted the question. I've heard great things about Khalilli and Cuneen. The program has a great reputation. Now if only I could go for the surgery tomorrow! Instead, I have to wait until Jan 4 for the consult, and then on from there.

Jonathan, may I ask how long it was between your consult and surgery?

Gwenn

Thanks. I've actually heard a lot about him since I posted the question. I've heard great things about Khalilli and Cuneen. The program has a great reputation. Now if only I could go for the surgery tomorrow! Instead, I have to wait until Jan 4 for the consult, and then on from there.

Jonathan, may I ask how long it was between your consult and surgery?

Gwenn

Hi Gwenn,

It took about 6 months.

One thing I'd recommend is that you make all your appointments for the dietitian, social worker, group meeting right away as they can get booked quickly. Get all your tests done ASAP as well. I kind of spread mine out because I work full-time.

Funny thing was that my insurance carrier was real quick about approving it.

Thanks Jonathan. Good advice. I'm sorry to pester you on this but you're the only person I know who's been through the Cedars program.

Can you tell me a little about what tests you had to take. Do they require them of everyone there or is it based on idividual health background? Did the arrangements for the tests come through them or did you need to go back to your central doctor and go from there?

My insurance took about 3 weeks because my doctor's office was slow in providing all the info. That was annoying because I lost time. Will it all matter in the long term. No, because the long term can now be a long life. But right now, it's frustrating.

Any details you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gwenn

Thanks Jonathan. Good advice. I'm sorry to pester you on this but you're the only person I know who's been through the Cedars program.

Can you tell me a little about what tests you had to take. Do they require them of everyone there or is it based on idividual health background? Did the arrangements for the tests come through them or did you need to go back to your central doctor and go from there?

My insurance took about 3 weeks because my doctor's office was slow in providing all the info. That was annoying because I lost time. Will it all matter in the long term. No, because the long term can now be a long life. But right now, it's frustrating.

Any details you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gwenn

I had to get a cardiac stress test. Also An upper GI. I think that was it. These tests are standard but there were other tests on the list they gave me that weren't checked off so YMMV. They contacted my doctors with the tests needed but my Dr's offices made the actual referrals.

I'm not sure I follow you about your insurance? The way mine worked is that they only approved the surgery after all the tests and meetings were finished. In fact, the coordinators at Cedars won't even submit the paperwork until then.

One thing I forgot to mention. After you are approved it may still be 4-6 weeks or more until your surgery date.

And one more tip: After your surgery make an appointment for your first fill ASAP. They only do them Tuesdays and Wednesdays and they fill up fast. You'll probably have to wait 6-7 weeks if you get the AP band but don't tally or you might end up having to go 8 or 9 weeks.

Thanks so much. I'm going to print your response to use as a guide. I asked my own doctor about getting me to a cardiologist now because I thought I might need the test, but he said to wait, they may be able to use the one I had last year. That would be great. I hate the upper GI. I've had an endoscopy but was asleep!

According to my Blue Cross rep and my doc's office, the insurance has okayed the surgery. If I'm not accepted by Khalili that's another issue. At least that's what they told me. We shall see.

Just want to get going. Very frustrating to wait. I guess I'd better learn to have some patience.

Thanks again. Hope you're doing well. Gwenn

Hi Guys...i Live In Los Angeles...i've Read Some Of Your Posts. I Am Going For My Consultation With Dr Khalili In 10 Days... I Have Blue Cross (ppo 10)...

1. What Kind Of Insurance Did You Guys Have And Were There Any Specific Problems With Getting Approved?

2. Did You Guys Have Hmo Or Ppo??

3. How Has Your Experiences Been With Both Drs. At Cedars??

4. Any Info You Could Give Me Would Be Super!!!..please!

Thanks, Toni

Hi Guys...i Live In Los Angeles...i've Read Some Of Your Posts. I Am Going For My Consultation With Dr Khalili In 10 Days... I Have Blue Cross (ppo 10)...

1. What Kind Of Insurance Did You Guys Have And Were There Any Specific Problems With Getting Approved?

2. Did You Guys Have Hmo Or Ppo??

3. How Has Your Experiences Been With Both Drs. At Cedars??

4. Any Info You Could Give Me Would Be Super!!!..please!

HI Toni,

I'm also going to Dr. Khalili. I went for my consult on January 4th. I made a huge effort to get all the tests done quickly so that I could have the surgery by end of February because of business issues in March/April.

I met Dr. K for about 2 minutes and he was very nice. Most of the time was spent with a terrific "fellow", whose name I don't recall, but she was French. Really understanding and helpful. Compassionate too.

The Cedar's group has a very thorough protocol. Many centers don't have it. At first I was annoyed with needing so many tests, but later I realized it's smart for everyone. It's like a very complete phyical, you know where you stand, and Dr. K knows what he'll find during surgery, which probably makes for less complications. They have an excellent reputation.

After doing EVERYTHING In about 10 days, I went on hold for their clinical evaluation and then my insurance OK. That took longer than I expected and so although I can have the surgery beginning of March, I need to wait until end of April because of my business conflicts. If I did it now, I'd be under a lot of pressure to run back to work, and I really want this to be ME time, so I'm waiting.

To answer the rest of your questions. I have Blue Sheild HMO. They have been great if just a big slower on the final okay than I would have liked.

A lot will have to do with your own doctor. His/Her office does the requests for all the tests and if they are not cooperative or fast, it will take time. Mine got me the test authorizations in less than 2 days and I called and made immediate appointments. I also made the appointments to see Khalili's social worker, nutritionist, and surgery class before leaving the office day of consult- these are mandatory and if you wait it can only take longer. Make the appointments while you're there.

Gastric Bypass has more tests than lapband, but here's what you'll be taking (everyone has to take these from what I read in the big binder they will give you):

Upper GI series

Abdominal Utrasound

Echo Cardiogram with Stress test

Hy-polori blood screening (blood test)

Nutritionist visit (theirs)

Social worker visit (theirs)

On-line info program and a live class (theirs)

It was exhausting doing it all in ten days but then I was done! If you're with an HMO it's all at the hospital and then wherever you go for blood tests. Their stuff is at their office or at Thalians across the street.

Here are a few tips for the pysch and nutritionist evals. They feel this works better for volume eaters rather than sweet eaters. They like to see that you've tried tried and tried and if you know what didn't work, because some people are told to have 6 months of nutritional visits before they'll do the band. They want you to try to reduce calories by 25% now, and get ready with trying to cut out caffeine, soda, etc. They want to know that your goals arent' insane, like you could think you're going to be a size 2. They want to be sure you understand that the real work is going to happen after you've had the band and have to deal with your emotional issues (and we all have them) without food. They want to know that you're serious about this and that you have plans for follow-up, a good support group, etc.

Hope this helps. If you start now, and get going right away, it can take as little as 6 weeks to get the go ahead. They schedule within 2-3 weeks after final insurance okay. So, we may end up getting banded around the same time!

Stay in touch!

Gwenn

I have Blue Shield HMO also. I wasn't referred to Dr. Khalili at Cedars Sinai though. My primary dr. is in the Bay Area Community Medical Group in Santa Monica. She told me they usually referred patients to Cedars Sinai for WLS, but I got referred to Dr. Lublin in Santa Monica. After I got my referral for the surgeon consultation, everything went pretty fast. I saw the surgeon on 12/20, finished the tests, etc. by the end of January and now my surgery is scheduled for 3/31.

I just got my apointment with Dr Khalili I will be seeing him on 4-23-08 im sooooo excited!! I have already had a blood test and i went for the sleep study last night, does getting the referal to see Dr.Khalili mean that my insurance is willing to let me have the surgery? or is this still no guarantee i will get it???

Hi French vanilla.

Very good question. One I didn't know the answer to and was a bit shocked about. Turns out the referrals for consultation and for tests are just that. Once you complete all of the tests Dr. K requires (and if you look back at my earlier note below from 2/17 you'll see they are very comprehensive), THEN your insurance decides if you can have the surgery. I was so surprised that they'd make the investment without the decision made, but no, it comes after. Once you finish the tests etc. Kahlili's office submits it all. It took about 2 weeks, maybe almost 3 for me to get the okay. Then you can schedule surgery about 2-3 weeks after that.

I was at the office today for my pre-op with Khalili. I'm being banded on April 30th. I met the chief resident for general surgery at Cedars and asked him about Khalili, and he called him the "Michael Jordan" of this surgery. Everyone's nice, but BRANDY (nurse) is the best of all. She's a doll. It makes a difference.

Good luck!

Gwenn

Hi French vanilla.

Very good question. One I didn't know the answer to and was a bit shocked about. Turns out the referrals for consultation and for tests are just that. Once you complete all of the tests Dr. K requires (and if you look back at my earlier note below from 2/17 you'll see they are very comprehensive), THEN your insurance decides if you can have the surgery. I was so surprised that they'd make the investment without the decision made, but no, it comes after. Once you finish the tests etc. Kahlili's office submits it all. It took about 2 weeks, maybe almost 3 for me to get the okay. Then you can schedule surgery about 2-3 weeks after that.

I was at the office today for my pre-op with Khalili. I'm being banded on April 30th. I met the chief resident for general surgery at Cedars and asked him about Khalili, and he called him the "Michael Jordan" of this surgery. Everyone's nice, but BRANDY (nurse) is the best of all. She's a doll. It makes a difference.

Good luck!

Gwenn

Congrats!!!! so from start to finish how many months did it take you to be approved? I am sooooo happy for you!!! I will be seeing DR Khalili this Wednesday,where about in So Cal are you? Im in the San Fernando valley:cool2:

I'm in Los Angeles. About a mile from Cedars Sinai so in this, I'm lucky.

I met with Dr. K on Jan 4th. Only saw him for a couple of minutes as most was info taking, etc. I wanted to do the surgery in late Feb. but the insurance took almost 3 weeks to okay. I had a major event to handle for work in March/April so I had to wait.

Suggestion. If you want this to happen quickly, it's up to you to make it happen. Before you leave his office, schedule the appointments you make there- the class, and meetings with nutritionist and social worker. Then get your doctor to work with you on quick referrals for the tests. I was a bit crazy to do it, but I had all in ten days. My office is great about this stuff and I had a time schedule, although it didn't work out. I had my abdominal utrasound, upper GI and stress cardio in a week. Exhausting but it was all behind me quickly. Once all tests are done, and insurance okays, it's less then a month to surgery. Mine took 4 only because I couldn't do it March or most of April.

Best of luck-keep in touch.

Gwenn

I'm in Los Angeles. About a mile from Cedars Sinai so in this, I'm lucky.

I met with Dr. K on Jan 4th. Only saw him for a couple of minutes as most was info taking, etc. I wanted to do the surgery in late Feb. but the insurance took almost 3 weeks to okay. I had a major event to handle for work in March/April so I had to wait.

Suggestion. If you want this to happen quickly, it's up to you to make it happen. Before you leave his office, schedule the appointments you make there- the class, and meetings with nutritionist and social worker. Then get your doctor to work with you on quick referrals for the tests. I was a bit crazy to do it, but I had all in ten days. My office is great about this stuff and I had a time schedule, although it didn't work out. I had my abdominal utrasound, upper GI and stress cardio in a week. Exhausting but it was all behind me quickly. Once all tests are done, and insurance okays, it's less then a month to surgery. Mine took 4 only because I couldn't do it March or most of April.

Best of luck-keep in touch.

Gwenn

well I met Dr.K yesterday morning,made my appt for the mental & diet portion i see both of them on 5-15-08 thats the soonest I could get, I also called my primary doctor yesterday to get referals for the other tests that i need done,looks like for now its just a waiting on referal game LOL I wanna do this now! i have no patience:lol: