Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally settling in on the Forum and getting started

Hi- I've been off and on, doing more browsing than anything else. I am finding this forum a bit daunting and lots of older discussions that I'm sorry I missed. However, I'll catch on eventually.

I've only recently come to the conclusion that I need to do this. I've spoken to my doctor, who is a huge advocate of it. I don't know if he has all my details because he's only been my internist for about 6 months.

My BMI is around 46- I have non of hte bigger problems, unless you count constand aches and pains a big problem! I do. The adema, the fibromyalgia, the sleeping sitting up.

A couple of bits of luck. I've tried the bariatric centers dietician twice already and couldn't do the diet. And my shrink, who has also been encouraging banding, is one of the evaluators. It won't change the review, but may just save a little time. Now that I'm going forward, I want this 'yesterday". I'm told it can be up to 4 months.

I'd like to know more about which tests are necessary and more about what happens prior to surgery. And how can everyone stand waiting? And did anyone found they ate more while waiting as if the band was going to be the solution and you could eat until the banding was done? Is this making sense and is any of it familiar?

I'll keep browsing but I'd love to hear some of your experiences.

Thanks,

Gwenn

Gwen - I'm getting banded on 12/3 and feel and think all the things you've mentioned. I booked all my pre-op doc appts. immediately following the surgical consult. I had them completed within 2 weeks and then the waiting period began. All the docs needed to forward their results to the surgeon and then the surgeon's office had to put it all together and call me with a surgery date. That actually took the longest...I had to see a nutritionist, psychologist, cardiologist (EKG, stress test) , pulmonologist (xray and breathing test) and do an upper GI (barium swallow).

It's seems like it's forever while you're waiting, but now that the date is set - it's really scary.

I didn't belive everyone that the time would fly, but it does and it has...Now I've been eating some of my favorite indulgent meals (cheeseburger deluxe with fries). It's weird because I haven't eaten something like that in 5 years, but now I'm justifying it because I'm getting banded. This is not smart nor healthy, but I really do feel some level of deserving...

good luck making your decision. These boards are great and you will learn tons.....It's really great following people and their accomplishments....

Thanks for your reply and the pep talk. I'm hoping hoping hoping to move quickly. Feb thru April is our busiest time at work and we're not supposed to take time, and my most important event (I'm a fundraiser) is in April. So it will be hard to take time (but I will).

I've already been to the nutritionist twice, and as I may have mentioned, My shrink is an evalutator so I'll have that also.

If I've had a stress test within a year, will I need to do it again?

And I've also had both a endoscopy and a colonoscopy last couple of years.

Everyone tells me something else. I guess every hospital or doctor has their own rules and regs.

Problem is, I'm eating a lot right now - anxious.

I'll watch for your posts once you're banded.

Gwenn

Gwenn, more than a month before my surgery date, I started my own reduction in the bad foods and stopped all sodas t be ready for surgery.

Required by my dr was:

Stress test, EKG, sleep study, Psych eval, Upper GI,

That was about it...Dave

Thanks, Dave. Just depends if they require all new tests. I just had an EKG in April, and they said the stress test I'd had a year back was still good, so who knows. Just want to get started. I can't help wish that I'd come to this decision sooner, but what can ya do. Just keep moving forward.

I agree about getting rid of some of the bad foods. My brother in law was asked to do three weeks of liquid diet before banding.

Gwenn

Hi- I've been off and on, doing more browsing than anything else. I am finding this forum a bit daunting and lots of older discussions that I'm sorry I missed. However, I'll catch on eventually.

I've only recently come to the conclusion that I need to do this. I've spoken to my doctor, who is a huge advocate of it. I don't know if he has all my details because he's only been my internist for about 6 months.

My BMI is around 46- I have non of hte bigger problems, unless you count constand aches and pains a big problem! I do. The adema, the fibromyalgia, the sleeping sitting up.

A couple of bits of luck. I've tried the bariatric centers dietician twice already and couldn't do the diet. And my shrink, who has also been encouraging banding, is one of the evaluators. It won't change the review, but may just save a little time. Now that I'm going forward, I want this 'yesterday". I'm told it can be up to 4 months.

I'd like to know more about which tests are necessary and more about what happens prior to surgery. And how can everyone stand waiting? And did anyone found they ate more while waiting as if the band was going to be the solution and you could eat until the banding was done? Is this making sense and is any of it familiar?

I'll keep browsing but I'd love to hear some of your experiences.

Thanks,

Gwenn

Hi Gwenn and Welcome !!!

The band is the best thing I have ever done !!!! It is a great tool - it's my interior motivator... I gained 5 lbs between my first meeting with my surgeon and my pre-op visit. Most of us have had what we call "last meal mentallity" As far as all the test you will have to have is up to your doc - I had ton's (heart/lungs/sleep/colon/pap/mamo) but that's cuz I don't go to the doc at all. So it will depend on your doc - My only problem was high blood pressure - and mild sleep apena - but am now off the cpap machine. I am almost 50 lbs lighter than 4 months ago (bmi 43.something) - I feel so much better - This is a LIFETIME LIFESTYLE change and not a diet - you will have to make healthy food choice and include exercise into your life - I want to live to see my grandkids get married - I want to enjoy whatever yrs I have left (you understand this cuz you are in the 50 bracket too - we know that we have fewer yrs ahead than what we have already lived) If you want to extend your life - then you have to make the choice food or life - that's what it boils down to - and I rather live than eat - the band is a great tool in this sense as it does control your portions - I won't say it takes away your hunger 100% but it does help - what you learn is that we have more head hunger than real hunger most of the time... Keep on reading - there is a thread "how is weight loss for 50+ - start at page one and read read read. You can even pick a monthly support thread and read the challenge that we have gone through from getting our surgery dates to where we are today (lucky #7 - July 2007) is my support group - again start at page 1 and read forward and you will see how we dealt with everything.

Here is a thread Justlosingme - made up to help newbies - get to the page with all the help they need to understand the lingo etc.....

Good Luck on your journey...

Are you new? Do you have questions? Come in here!

There is a thread for Lap-Band Surgery FAQs and References located HERE. LOTS of great info is HERE (same link). Go here too...

things it covers:

what is a PB?

what does DH mean?

what do you suggest I buy before surgery?

I have a consult tomorrow, what do I need to ask the doctor?

how do I get a ticker?

what is a fill?

I had surgery 3 days ago and am very hungry, can I eat _____ (anything other than liquids)? (short answer - not unless your doctor said you could - more than likely not)

welcome to LBT!

Welcome, Gwenn! This is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I found out during my pre-op tests that I had diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. That was 10 days before surgery. 6 months later, all 3 of these are non-issues for me. WITHOUT meds. My doc is just tickled that I am so motivated to do all this without the aid of medications.

Be proud of yourself for making this decision, and know that there is support here for you!

Oh, and my pre-op testing consisted of an EKG, an A1C (blood glucose), cholesterol, pregnancy test, and a psych evaluation, which was basically me sitting with a shrink for about an hour talking with her about why I wanted the surgery. These psych evaluations can vary GREATLY, and so can the pre-op testing requirements. The only way to know for sure is to ask the surgeon what the requirements will be. Go to an informational seminar, as well, if it's offered. The place I was banded requires you to go to an informational seminar before a surgeon will even see you for a consult. They just want you to be well informed before you make your decision.

Good luck!

THank you so much for all the information! It's so great to have a place to come to and hear the good and bad, the ugly and the beautiful. Right now I'm waiting for my approval to see the surgeon. I called after one week and was told my doctor had all in, just needed review. Wait a week. I did and called today. Really great guy there said "TOO LONG" and said he'd check it out and call me back. Of course he didn't and I'll try again tomorrow. A YES would be a great Thanksgiving gift. I see the shrink on Friday, so that eval will be done and added into the package. Again, many thanks.

Gwenn