Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi everyone! This site is so helpful! I want to thank everyone for talking here. It really helps me to research the band and all related questions.

My name is Kathy and I live in NC, just outside of Charlotte. I am considering banding in Mexico (insurance doesn't pay for bands, only gastric bypass, which I don't want to do). So off I will go, hopefully in March 2005, to see Dr. Kuri. I have 2 young children, ages 5 and (almost) 2. My husband is supportive but very nervous about 1) me be-bopping off to TJ for major surgery and 2)incurring a bit of temporary debt until I can go back to work and pay this off. But he feels like this is a good solution for my struggle with weight loss. As he says, "just quit eating so much" but he knows it's more than that. I have been exercising faithfully for a full year and have lost and kept off 20 lbs, but I haven't lost anything since October. My goal is another 80-95 lbs. I currently weigh 220, but would like to see 145-160. BMI is 36.6 and I am 5'5". My percentage of body fat, according to the gym machine, is 43.6%. Yuck! I will be 40 this year (May 2005) which is what made me look into all this. I am weary of struggling and depriving myself and I don't want my 40's to be a decade of discouragement. Seems too much to hope for, but maybe with the band I can succeed.

Here are some things I have learned by lurking...

lurking-reading everything but not writing or contributing in any other way

PBing-yuck but I have a perfect understanding of that

DH-could be "Darling Husband" but probably means "D*&%" Husband

avatar-whatever, I can't figure out how to do that but I think I have a smiley face, no pic

tickers-no clue but I'll keep clicking

NSV-what? it's something good though.

patient facilitators-to trust or not to trust?

Oh, there is so much to learn! Again, thank you everyone for all of your posts. They are really helpful and I hope to be able to contribute when the time comes. And...all you who have posted before and after pics...thank you-you have given me hope!

Welcome Kathy,

I personally have learned so much from this site and everyone is so warm & helpful with the band as well as off topic questions as well.

Good to have you here

DH-could be "Darling Husband" but probably means "D-Head" - that's funny!

NSV is a non-scale victory. Something cool that doesn't have to do with numbers on the scale, like walking up stairs without having a heart attack or finally seeing your toes.

Patient facilitators-to trust or not to trust? Depends on what you mean. Most Mexico doctors have a US Liason on their staff that will help you coordinate your trip to Mexico. They'll pick you up from the airport and look after you. But then there are patient coordinators that act like referral services. If you go through a referral service you will pay more. Best to call Kuri's office directly and avoid the middleman.

Good luck to you. My husband was afraid I would wake up in Mexico with no kidneys. He figured they'd put me to sleep and sell my kidneys on the black market. But I've been back to Tijuana for 3 surgeries and still have all my organs!

Kathy, what an excellent intro! Best of luck to you on your banding! I lived in that "Decade of Discouragement". Glad you're beating it. Please research as much as you can so you'll be as prepared as possible for life w/your band. Do you have your after-care (fills, event of problems) lined up?

Hi Kathy

My kids were my first reason for getting my band. I'm 45 and have a 7 yo and a 3 yo. I want to be here and healthy for them. I was self pay and went to Mexico also.

Like Marie said do find after care in your area. It's very important to have a doctor near in case of emergencies and fills.

A "Big" Welcome from Texas Kathy! It's good to see you researching before jumping into this. There are lots of older threads that you can do research on too, with lots of valuable information. Good luck with your journey and keep us posted.

Hi Kathy and WELCOME!

Give youself a pat on the back, youve been doing your research!

Glad you found us - hope to see you around often!

:o

thanks everyone, for being so nice. I'm pretty sure what I have is a patient facilitator, not a referral. Iv'e been talking to Sylvia, who e-mailed me from the BeLiteWeight.com site where I filled out a request for more info. She helps coordinate everything...makes sure I get the info I need, coordinates the travel schedule so I get picked up in San Diego and go to TJ from there...whatever. She's been very helpful, very prompt, very on the ball. I think I'm okay there. She also referred me to a doctor whose office is about 30 miles from me in Concord, NC who does the Lap Bands (I already knew about him but went the MX route due to costs) and this Dr. Roc Bauman does the fills for Dr. Kuri for $200. I was glad to hear it's already set up but will still call direct to verify. Whew! That should take care of my fills and should I need some other type of aftercare, for a price, they will see me. In regards to nutrition, diet, questions, concerns, all that I feel is covered well by access to Sylvia, who has proven to be reliable as she recruits my money and I expect will continue after the surgery (she had it 2 years ago and is doing well) and by all you nice folks here at LBT. I know where to go for info, it's all here!

DeLarla, you crack me up. My husband read what your husband said about your kidneys and went "Hey, I hadn't thought of that..." than after a quiet moment said "will you be coming back with an X-ray or something? I don't want to send you to Tiajuana with 10 grand and have you come back without that darn thing...you better make sure they put it in there!' or I guess I could just party for a few days and come home without it! Not likely. Not my style, want the band too bad to squander it! This discussion of surgery in MX has brought out the comedian in DH, comments about burrito crumbs and bringing home Jose to work with him in his construction business...he's warming up to the idea.

Thanks again everyone! You are the best!

Hi Kathy -- There are lots of old posts here -- some of them hilarious -- from people who are Mexico veterans. Promise your husband you'll pick up a bottle of tequila for him and set his mind at ease. Seriously, the main thing we Mexican bandsters need to worry about is after care. Who will do your fills? Who will you see if something goes wrong? Line up your US connections before the surgery and your life will be much easier. You might want to start by searching for Dr. Kuri on this site to see who he's operated on and how they have managed their after care.

Good luck, and welcome!

Thanks Zoe. I have since found out that the Dr. Bauman near me does indeed do the fills for 200 but the hospital lab charges an additional 195 for the flouro. AND the gal on the phone said Dr. Bauman was considering not taking band fills from other doctors. A few other leads in my area have been unfruitful. No fills for other doctors. I have really been reading old threads, sorry for lurking DeLarla, but reading "all posts by DeLarla" and there are thousands, has been VERY helpful. A little discouraging, since she has been through so much, but helpful. I still plan on using Kuri, but I really haven't lined up the aftercare...except for planning to budget enough to get me back to TJ for a few fills in the next year. I also have an appointment with my PCP to discuss this. Wonder what she'll say?

Here's a question...I have a hard time getting covered for medical insurance due to my weight/high BMI which is one reason I want the Band, so I can lose the weight and get covered. We are currently paying out the wazoo for BC/BS group benefits for small businesses (my husband is self-employed/incorporated) so they HAVE to cover me, but the premiums are ridiculous. I know we could get similar coverage for less, plus I no longer need maternity benefits (shop's closed after the last c-section) and maternity benefits are required for group coverage in NC, or so they say. Anyhooo-the question is, if I get a Mexiacn Band, will I have trouble getting covered for insurance, should we decide to drop the group coverage? Will they deny me coverage because I have the Mexican Band? Anyone?

I have talked to a few of Kuri's patients here, and thank you all, but noone close to me in NC, unless I have missed you, in which case, PM me!!! Please!

Hi Kathy - I live in Frisco, Texas and am considering lap-band. I'm just beginning this journey...I would welcome any insights you have on doctors, fill locations, etc. I also haven't contacted anyone yet to find out if I'm eligible (insurance or not). I'm 48 years old, 203 pounds to 210 and 5'4 inches. That puts my BMI in the "questionable" range. I don't have any current health issues related to weight but have diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease all over my family. I'd like to be around to see my 11 year old daughter grow up. Any insights and thoughts would be helpful to me. thanks so much for this forum...I'm so glad I found it!

Hey there! Nice to have you here! Okay, I looked up your profile and this is the only post you have ever made, so I know none of the other folks have "met" you...so do this...Go to the Introduction forum (where you found me) and start a new thread and introduce yourself to everyone, tell them everything you just told me, etc. There are many many Texans here and they can help you more than me on local Dr's and who is your area. All you have to do is sit back and watch, the Texans will appear miraculously on your thread and say Howdy, etc. and so will everyone else. That will get you started.

Then, go to Lap Band Talk Forum and scroll all the way down to Texas and start reading. Wanna know more? Go to the top of the page and click "Search" and type in a topic ie:Mexican doctors and just see all that comes up...you could really spend hours researching lots of stuff...it's all in here, anything you want to know.

Then, go to the website for your insurance company and give them your plan number, this should give you your benefits info, and type in the IDT? or CDT? code for Lap Band surgery which is 43843. You will then know whether or not your insurance covers it, and what the eligibility requirements are (BMI, co-morbidities list, etc.) If you are questionable, your insurance may not cover it, but a Mexican doctor will do it if your BMI is 35 or higher. But check with the Dr. Once you decide whether or not you need to look into Mx, well, that's a whole new ball game and we'll go there later.

So, start there and don't lose me...I'll be looking out for your posts and will pitch in when I have something to offer! As you know, I'm not banded yet but getting close. I will tell you anything you want to know! Let's start with these things and take it from there...dinner's burning! Gotta run. Keep in touch!

Hey Becky in CA, sorry for the confusion. Makena2 above is a newbie and she hijacked my introduction thread, so I replied back and told her what to do...so it pops up like a new thread but it's just me, a newbie too but she's even MORE newbie than me! Hope I did that right, or should I have just PM'd her?

Hey, thanks for the DH/dh clarification...I'd better capitalize from now on...the meaning really changes, huh? Don't want trouble on the homefront, he already comments about my computer time..."I'll make you a deal. I won't complain about you being on the computer if you'll make sure you keep your cell phone on so I can call you." Deal. Ha!

Hi Kathy, I leave in the morning.. My husband is now wondering if I will come home with all my body parts, or at all...Lol, He is saying to himself...... hum, who's going to do all this laundry and pack the kids lunches!!! Lol.. Actually he has been great support I don't think I could have made this choice without him.. He's such a great DH!!! Lol.. I catch you after the BIG DAY!!!! Baby food here I come!!!!!

Tara