Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can someone explain this a little. I am scard my drinking could have caused this and maybe that is why I have little less restriction than before. What and what to do. I have since stopped the alchahol but a year went with it and tequila is my choice drink. Can you tell? What are the signs and anyone else in this boat?

I don't know if this helps but I have been doing a lot of reading and what I have seen is that erosion is a myth. Maybe I'm wrong let me know...I hope I am because I just love a good margarita w/ cuervo and grand mariner...Tammy

Unfortunately, Tammy, erosions are not a myth. We have Bandsters that had to have their bands removed due to erosion. Please do as much research as you possibly can before you decide to get a band.

Bobby when you go in for a fill, if you Dr. does his fill under flouro it will give him an indication fo erosion, since with erosion the barium flows over the band instead of through it like it would with no eorsion. Erosion has no ryme or reason, I haveseen the most model bandsters have erosion. It is a very rare occurance. We all worry about it, you are not alone...I'm sure everything is fine and maybe all you need is a little fill wich iswhy you feel no restriction.

I am sure you all are correct you know how anxieties do you especially with the weight problems. I remember going through many stages of worry with this Band! I appreciate the help...

EROSION is definitely not a myth. I had to have my band removed in Dec. after only having it for a year because it eroded, and not a little, it eroded a lot, and there was tons of inflammation in there, and I ended up having to stay in the hospital for 9 days instead of one, because I had a horrible infection. SO yes it does happen, why it happened I don't have a clue, maybe infection, maybe it was on too tight, maybe my body just rejected it. However with all that said, i'm currently researching doctors to see if i can be rebanded.

I asked my doctor about erosion a couple of days ago and he said that every bandster us can reasonably expect the level of restriction to fluctuate throughout their life. There is more fluctuation during the active weight loss phase, but even after you've hit your goal weight, you still have to monitor your restriction. When you think about it, it makes sense because everyone's body changes over time. Using myself as an example, I'm 32. I expect I'll live to be 80ish. There's absolutely no way my level of restriction is going to stay the same for 50 years. It's just not possible. This could be a very normal explanation for your reduced restriction.

Erosion isn't a myth, but it is rare and becoming even more so over time as American doctors get more exprienced with band placement. You were banded several years ago, though, so erosion might be slightly more likely in your case than someone banded more recently. I would imagine you'd have to have a pretty advanced case of erosion to notice a significant change in your restriction and then I expect you'd be experiencing other symptioms like abdominal pain or port infection if that was the case.

My advice is try not to get freaked out about this. (I know it's hard) It's likely that there is nothing majorly wrong with you. Do have your doctor check it out as soon as you can. If you haven't seen your doc in a while, it couldn't hurt to have him/her kick the tires, so to speak. Please try not to get worked up about it unless and until you *know* there is something to worry about.

Let us know what you find out :-D

Bobby

If it has been a while since your last fill, it would be normal for you to have some loss of restriction. Especially if you have lost a few pounds. Plus, the tissues of the stomach expand and contract with Water retention, stress, etc.

Lots of things can cause a change of restriction - so don't panic. The only time I would be concerned is if you had a SUDDEN change in restriction - like yesterday it was perfect and today you have none. Then I would make an appt to see my doc.

But if you just have a little less restriction that you had before - don't worry. If you have sudden changes - then call your doc for the best advice. We have personal experience - but that only works for us. Docs have the medical education and knowledge to advise you more accurately than we can.

Hugs!

Bobby's post was from Jan 2005, it was an old post revisited. ~Mandy