Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baby Due a Month After Hubby's Surgery Date

Hi everyone! I am not a gastric sleeve patient myself, but my husband is due to have the surgery the end of this month or the beginning of May. We are both experiencing a mix of emotions (nerves, excitement, fear of the unknown). My main fear (other than the normal fear when a spouse has a major surgery) is that I am due with our second child the end of May. That is only a three or four week buffer between his surgery and my VBAC/repeat C-section/our daughter's birth. He has wanted this and has been trying to get it in the works for a year, so he's simply seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but I am very worried about having these two stressful events so close together. Could anyone give me some reassurance? Also, how long did it take before you recovered? I think he is mainly thinking of the physical recovery, but I know there has to be so much that one has to deal with psychologically after a surgery like this. I just don't want our sweet girl's first few weeks to be a dark time for him, and of course I want all four of us to feel supported and loved during this time of huge changes.

Hi!

If you can push really hard for the VBAC. I had one and the recovery was worlds better. Seriously. Do the massages, keigels, drink the teas... I digress

If everything goes to plan Your husband should feel pretty normal at 1 month post op, perhaps even riding the weightloss high!

Either way if you both game plan and nest like crazy you'll do amazing. After all there are 2 of you to tag team the situation.

Just be mindful to continue to work on the marriage separately from the parenting. Common pitfall. Congratulations to the both of you on so many levels. Life is about to get soooo much more enjoyable. Trust me 😉

he should feel OK after a month. He probably won't be able to do any heavy lifting, but other than that...

Congrats! He should be fine, the baby will be too little to affect his lifting restrictions.

I Was back at work and eating purees/feeling pretty good after a month. BUT I was not allowed to lift 10# for 6 weeks after surgery. As someone else did, that won't be a problem for the baby, but he may not be able to lift your other child. And if you have a second C-section, you won't be able to life him/her either. May not be a problem - only you and your hubs know your older kid well enough to know.

He should be okay by the time you deliver. I was good 2 weeks post op physically and that's when I started puree foods and once I started those I felt 100000x better mentally. I found the hardest part so far has been that liquid diet.