Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I need an unfill due to burping?

I know many of us have problems with burping, but I'm beginning to wonder if a need a small unfill for mine. No matter what I eat or drink - except maybe Water - I get so much trapped air that it is painful and I am working to burp it out for at least an hour. Sometimes - like last night - it is so bad that I actually PB air. I get all the PB symptoms - the salivating, etc. - and when I finally PB, all that comes out is a huge mass of air. I usually have to walk around after a meal to try to help the air to come out. I'm not even sure where this air is getting trapped. It feels like it is the pouch, but if so, what is preventing it from getting out? I don't really want an unfill because I have good restriction, but if the air is getting caught in the pouch, it could be stretching my pouch, right? Also, I have to work to push the air out with my stomach muscles and I'm worried this is not good for the band. Any thoughts? I've put myself on liquids today, but even my morning Protein Shake is causing me problems. Maybe I need to be on Clear Liquids for a while?

Nancy

Nancy,

Cynthia Jones of Bandlandia.com has this swallowing technique that she swears by. Apparently, you have to be very conscious of when you are swallowing not to take in air at the same time. She says that if you hold your tongue to the top of your mouth each time you swallow, this will help. Maybe if you just try this for a day or so to see if there is any change you can avoid having to have an unfill. Good luck!

Hey Nancy! So sorry you are having this trial!

Every now and then I having something like this happen. Its really embarrassing! And when I do have it - its because I drank too fast and swallowed air.

Im with Leatha, I would try other swallowing techniques before getting my fill reduced.

:o

I asked my doctor about this very thing on Monday when I was there for my fill

I do not know if many of you know but the band acts as a one way vlave which iswhy so many of us have trapped gas and burp more often then pre band...I was told also that most of us who are now banded become air swallowers since we have to concentrate on such smaller bites and chew so well. Drinking with straws and chewing gum both do not help it..I have eliminated the gum and the straws since Monday and am doing better..One other thing I have focused on this week is really really drinking alot of Water and it has helped immensely..I have trapped painful gas every day but this week has been alot better for me..Nancy your analogy of the one way valve helped me alot this is why I asked my Dr. about it on Monday and Ortiz talks about it in his book

Michelle, do you get that golfball feeling from the air? I guess if your surgeon said the band works as a one-way valve ( I forgot about that) it must mean that the air is actually below the band. But sometimes it feels just like it would if I overate and packed the pouch. I get the same painful feeling. I just hope I'm not stretching the pouch. What do you think?

Nancy

Nancy, you are exactly right the air is right below the band. I get it all the time honestly you are not alone, my pouch is fine not stretched one bit. Today I drank so much Water and I must say it really cut down on the air and gas..I'm still gassy but it is not nearly as band or as painful as yesterday or days before that. It does not matter what I eat, but no straws and gum and lots of water does help! I have the opposite problem I can not burp so mine comes out the other end but in the mean time all that extra air that would normally come out in a burp doesnt so it just stirs around in my tummy all day long..another pattern I have noticed with this gas is , it does not start until the late afternoon everyday at around 3 ish and last until I go to sleep..strangest thing, but I the weight loss is great so I live with it and as long as I know nothing is wrong I'm dealin with it :o

Hang in there Nancy, you are not alone .

I know this happened and was painfull in the beginning for me and I just used a gulp of liquid Gas-ex every morning before Breakfast and this curbed a lot of that feeling like you wanna burp but can't and then you do and it hurts. Have you tried something like this?

Nancy, I had to come back and say that I have this problem more often then I thought. Since reading this, it has happened to me at least twice.

Ive noticed that if I bend over a couple of times (like Im picking something up off the floor) MOST of the time I feel that horrible discomfort pass and I let out this hugh burp - then its all better. (And then sometimes I end up having to PB.)

I guess I never thought about it stretching my pouch... good question.