Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sucess rates vs. failure\death rates

Guest schelski-mn

I don't recall whether he specified, but I *think* it was a combination of both in-op and post-op events.

In any event, compared to the mortality rates from obesity, I would argue that surgery is the *safest* of the two options for the people who aren't able to manage their weight independently. Yes, it's possible to die on the operating table, but if your health was such that you were already dying -- or living as if you were -- what's the additional risk when the result could be a greatly improved lifespan and the ability to enjoy it?

The mortality rates are going to vary by both surgeon and patient, anyway, so seek out the surgeons at the top of the curve, and do what you can to make their work easier and more efficient (like being aggressive during pre-op). It can only improve the odds of a successful outcome.

I couldnt agree with you more. If you are going to have ANY surgery go in there knowing your options, and especially choosing a surgeon who is on the top of the curve.

Does any one know of anyone who has died from the band surgery? I guess thats my big question.

I didn't die but I was extremely close. I had my band done in November of 2007. I was experiencing pain in my port aria. I went to ER twice, did all kinds of tests and X-rays, they couldn't find anything. Finally I had it with pain and told them to open me up and see what's wrong with me. I went for surgery in Feb of 2009. Had 3 surgeries in 3 days, each lasting from 3-4 hour. I had band erosion and half of it was hanging inside my stomach.

I came out of the hospital after a week, I was 120lb skin and bones, in a horrible condition. I was lucky I had a great team of doctors from Ciders Sinai hospital and a overall healthy body working for me. Now I have to take Nexcium every day probably for the rest of my life and I have to fight for my weight just like before, and all the pain I went trough was for nothing. Now I exercise 4 days a week and eat as healthy and less as possible but I still gain weight and that drives me crazy.

I guess my advice will be for those who are like me not in need of this surgery for lifesaving purposes. If you don't absolutely need it then stay away, but if you have multiple medical problems maybe you should take the risk.

Does any one know of anyone who has died from the band surgery? I guess thats my big question.

I didn't die but I was extremely close. I had my band done in November of 2007. I was experiencing pain in my port aria. I went to ER twice, did all kinds of tests and X-rays, they couldn't find anything. Finally I had it with pain and told them to open me up and see what's wrong with me. I went for surgery in Feb of 2009. Had 3 surgeries in 3 days, each lasting from 3-4 hour. I had band erosion and half of it was hanging inside my stomach.

I came out of the hospital after a week, I was 120lb skin and bones, in a horrible condition. I was lucky I had a great team of doctors from Ciders Sinai hospital and a overall healthy body working for me. Now I have to take Nexcium every day probably for the rest of my life and I have to fight for my weight just like before, and all the pain I went trough was for nothing. Now I exercise 4 days a week and eat as healthy and less as possible but I still gain weight and that drives me crazy.

I guess my advice will be for those who are like me not in need of this surgery for lifesaving purposes. If you don't absolutely need it then stay away, but if you have multiple medical problems maybe you should take the risk.

My surgeon quoted us his statistics:

Out of 1000+ RNY, he's lost 4 patients.

Out of 100+ lap bands, he's lost none.

Just saying...out of 1000+ RNY he's made about 2 million bucks, Out of 100+ lap bands he's made $400000....not that he's doing this just for the money... but don't forget that for an hours work, he gets a large paycheck, so its not surprising that he wants your business.

I'm not saying that its really bad, but all surgery should be a last resort, when it becomes too dangerous to do otherwise. Once you're dead, you're dead.

P.S. Don't think i'm biased, i'm a med student thinking of studying surgery. But even i am scared of being operated on.

I had surgery in October 2010 and have done quite well. I am 53 now and have lost almost 50 lbs with about 8-11 lbs to go. My father in-law age 69 5"7 270# had surgery in Feb 2011, the surgeon nicked his stomach and failed to catch the bleed. Within 24 hours of surgery he was septic, had multiple surgeries over the next 30 days. He passed away 35 days after surgery, surgeries were done by different surgeons in different cities and hospitals.